Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Mar 18, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #1,351 of 5,977

I wouldn't say is warm more than it is full sounding. I think you will love the V281, I feel the DAC you use will change the sound more than the V281 will.

I think that's the best description of this amp I've heard.  It's just incredibly punchy and vibrant without being overly warm.  The DAC used really is "amplified" by this amp.  I've found my old EAD DSP 7000 is my favorite so far.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Mar 19, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #1,352 of 5,977
That is one thing that I would like to know as well: which DAC has for you a good synergy with the V281 ?
I am currently using the optional USB DAC of the V281, but will certainly upgrade in a near future.

Edit: I am currently aiming for a Mirus, but all other recommendation in the 1000-5000 range that complements well the V281 is good to know.

Mar 19, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #1,354 of 5,977
The form factor is great for the V800 and I always wanted one. But the DAC is starting to date a bit. I might just as well wait for Frieds future DAC that will be released in what...2 to 3 years from now :)?

Mar 19, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #1,356 of 5,977
Not sure how much they want it to be public knowledge at this stage.... but yes, new stuff coming from Violectric sooner than later. The obvious, which we all saw coming (and I believe has been discussed here many pages ago), is a refreshed V800. The other is something altogether different.... 

Expect high-res USB using an XMOS solution rather than the Tenor chip as used by the current USB cards. There was talk of an exchange program to swap out USB cards for those users currently experiencing issues. But I don't have any other details about that. Personally I had zero issues with the 24/192 DAC card in the V281. 

Mar 20, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #1,358 of 5,977
That is one thing that I would like to know as well: which DAC has for you a good synergy with the V281 ?
I am currently using the optional USB DAC of the V281, but will certainly upgrade in a near future.

Edit: I am currently aiming for a Mirus, but all other recommendation in the 1000-5000 range that complements well the V281 is good to know.

I am very happy with my Anedio D2 DAC in combination with my V281/HD 800 combo (in balanced mode).

Jeff.

Mar 20, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #1,359 of 5,977
Can anyone with a HE-6 provide some impressions with the V281? Thanks.

I was just using that combo last night, fed by the Exogal Comet DAC (in a fully balanced setup). V281 drives the HE-6 better than anything else I've tried, including the Taurus and several integrated amps. You get authority, speed, definition, and massive dynamics. Still not as open sounding as an HD800, and probably not as good as my Stax rig either.... but not far behind. 

Mar 20, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #1,360 of 5,977

I use a Benchmark DAC2 HGC and like it quite a bit. There's a DAC-only version available as well under the name "DAC2 L" (i.e. without the headphone amp), but I use the headphone out quite often.

Mar 20, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #1,361 of 5,977

I run V281 with Exasound E22: amazing combo!
I tried many well known DAC's but Exa is on another planet...

p.s. all balanced with LCD3-F

Mar 21, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #1,362 of 5,977
I'm no fan of the Benchmark DAC 1 (too brittle for me), but their DAC 2 is very nice. And I also agree that the Exasound stuff is quite good as well (and under appreciated). Plenty of excellent stuff to choose from.

I've been using the Resonessence Labs Invicta Mirus, the Exogal Comet, and the NuPrime DAC-10H in about equal measure. Also the Parasound Zdac v2, which is a lot of bang for the buck. I like how V281 brings out the subtle differences among all these models. 

Mar 22, 2015 at 2:55 AM Post #1,363 of 5,977
Originally Posted by project86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was just using that combo last night, fed by the Exogal Comet DAC (in a fully balanced setup). V281 drives the HE-6 better than anything else I've tried, including the Taurus and several integrated amps. You get authority, speed, definition, and massive dynamics. Still not as open sounding as an HD800, and probably not as good as my Stax rig eithauer.... but not far behind. 

While I love the sound of my he-500's with the v281, I'm curious about the he-6.
I was thinking of saving for the (unreleased) he-1000, but the pre-order price in Aust has been listed as AU$4,300 - which makes the he-6 attractive (agian) at AU$1400.

Could you describe the he-6 strengths relative to the 500 with the 281? 
Also interested to hear how the tonal balance of the he-6 fares, since there is some criticism of this vs the 500.

Mar 22, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #1,364 of 5,977

While I love the sound of my he-500's with the v281, I'm curious about the he-6.
I was thinking of saving for the (unreleased) he-1000, but the pre-order price in Aust has been listed as AU$4,300 - which makes the he-6 attractive (agian) at AU$1400.

Could you describe the he-6 strengths relative to the 500 with the 281? 
Also interested to hear how the tonal balance of the he-6 fares, since there is some criticism of this vs the 500.

I obviously can't speak for the HE-1000 yet, but I intend to give that a try at some point. Looks promising, though I'm not thrilled about that price... my expectations rise considerably when you start charging Stax money. 

As far as HE-6, I never really enjoyed it as driven by most amps. Even from V200, it was "good" but never "great". But from the V281 (and Auralic Taurus as well) the HE-6 is one of my favorites.

V281 + HE-500 is great, very solid performance all around, but HE-6 seems to have it beat on a number of levels. First is low end slam. HE-6 has more authority than pretty much any headphone I've heard. Listening to Felix Hell's Organ Sensation (Reference Recordings HRx release) is remarkable on this setup. The sensation of real air movement is palpable. The only thing missing is that full-body pressure you get with big speakers, although I swear my brain tries to "suggest" that sort of thing with the V281/HE-6.

Then there's imaging, and top end resolution.... both improved with HE-6. Talk about a clear window into the music! It's up there with HD800 and LCD-3. 

I don't love the comfort of HE-6, but it's not terrible either, and for this SQ at a relatively sane price, I can deal with it. 

Mar 22, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #1,365 of 5,977

I obviously can't speak for the HE-1000 yet, but I intend to give that a try at some point. Looks promising, though I'm not thrilled about that price... my expectations rise considerably when you start charging Stax money. 

As far as HE-6, I never really enjoyed it as driven by most amps. Even from V200, it was "good" but never "great". But from the V281 (and Auralic Taurus as well) the HE-6 is one of my favorites.

V281 + HE-500 is great, very solid performance all around, but HE-6 seems to have it beat on a number of levels. First is low end slam. HE-6 has more authority than pretty much any headphone I've heard. Listening to Felix Hell's Organ Sensation (Reference Recordings HRx release) is remarkable on this setup. The sensation of real air movement is palpable. The only thing missing is that full-body pressure you get with big speakers, although I swear my brain tries to "suggest" that sort of thing with the V281/HE-6.

Then there's imaging, and top end resolution.... both improved with HE-6. Talk about a clear window into the music! It's up there with HD800 and LCD-3. 

I don't love the comfort of HE-6, but it's not terrible either, and for this SQ at a relatively sane price, I can deal with it. 

Thanks.
What about tonal balance?
Do you find the more emphatic top end of the he-6 fatiguing with the v281 (compared to the 500)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back