Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Mar 15, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #1,336 of 5,931
http://headphone.guru/the-violectric-hpa-v220/

Though, personally, I would classify it as fair rather than negative - but I think you'd agree that I've been critical where I felt it was warranted.  :smile:

Apologies in advance for digging into the past.

From some accounts the v281 is just a balanced version of the v220.

A review elsewhere (Lieven) suggests that the HD650 is good with the v281, but no specifics on the pairing.

Can anyone report if the HD650 is also --er, suffocating-- with the v281?

Mar 15, 2015 at 7:34 AM Post #1,337 of 5,931
I can tell for HD 600...
breathing like Cetacea with V281 in balanced mode.
Can't tell for single ended as I did cut my cable as I got them and soldered 4 pin XLR instead.(Funny wires inside that cable dough.)

Bass is amazing as highs and mids. Perfect pairing for me.
Only when I put my LCD-X I can say there is something more...

Gibo

Mar 15, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #1,338 of 5,931
Apologies in advance for digging into the past.

From some accounts the v281 is just a balanced version of the v220.

A review elsewhere (Lieven) suggests that the HD650 is good with the v281, but no specifics on the pairing.

Can anyone report if the HD650 is also --er, suffocating-- with the v281?

Personally I think even the original V200 is dynamite with HD650. I guess if you had an older version (black drivers, before the silver driver update brought out more top end) it might not pair so well with the warmer, smoother signature..... but a modern HD650 or HD600 will be fine imho. That should translate to the V220 or the SE output of V281 as well. 

Now, add balanced mode from V281 and it's a whole new level. The HD650 scales about as well as any headphone I've ever heard. 

Mar 15, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #1,339 of 5,931

Personally I think even the original V200 is dynamite with HD650. I guess if you had an older version (black drivers, before the silver driver update brought out more top end) it might not pair so well with the warmer, smoother signature..... but a modern HD650 or HD600 will be fine imho. That should translate to the V220 or the SE output of V281 as well. 

Now, add balanced mode from V281 and it's a whole new level. The HD650 scales about as well as any headphone I've ever heard. 

I fully agree

Mar 16, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #1,340 of 5,931

Thanks John for your input. I enjoy your reviews. BTW, it was your IF review of the FSA Bobby that got me onto the balance amp train...haven't looked back except for the occasional flirt with the (SE) tube amp. Curse you. :wink:

I'm seriously thinking of the V281; however, reading Warren's review of the V220 where he had a bad experience with the HD650 pairing gave me a bit of hesitation regarding the signature sound. (I'm not sure which version of the 650 he was using.) My concern is if there's too much warmth--if the V281 is a balanced iteration of the V220 (and should it really be that bad with the 650s), then I'll be using one less headphone on this amp.

More troubling is if there are other headphones (650-like or otherwise) that won't be as good on it. The bigger concern is if the signature on the V281 will be too warm, but I think I'm reading many who said that it's more neutral favoring warm than actually warm. And that in balance mode, it's a different beast.

Mar 16, 2015 at 5:53 AM Post #1,341 of 5,931
  The bigger concern is if the signature on the V281 will be too warm, but I think I'm reading many who said that it's more neutral favoring warm than actually warm.

Thats what I would call it: its nothing more than a touch. Plus I think what makes part of that impression is the high power of that amp, giving a really nice, solid, kicking bass.

Mar 16, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #1,342 of 5,931

I'm seriously thinking of the V281; however, reading Warren's review of the V220 where he had a bad experience with the HD650 pairing gave me a bit of hesitation regarding the signature sound. (I'm not sure which version of the 650 he was using.) My concern is if there's too much warmth--if the V281 is a balanced iteration of the V220 (and should it really be that bad with the 650s), then I'll be using one less headphone on this amp.

More troubling is if there are other headphones (650-like or otherwise) that won't be as good on it. The bigger concern is if the signature on the V281 will be too warm, but I think I'm reading many who said that it's more neutral favoring warm than actually warm. And that in balance mode, it's a different beast.

I just finished burning in my V281, it is an awesome amp. I have some burn-in left on my DirectStream DAC but the combo is more than great. I find the V281 to be transparent, I wouldn't say is warm more than it is full sounding. I think you will love the V281, I feel the DAC you use will change the sound more than the V281 will.

Stay tuned, I will be doing a full review of the V281 with a wide range of high end headphones. I won't be doing an amp vs amp review, it will be how each headphone pairs with the V281. I am still waiting a few new releases and I will update this thread when I have the full list of headphones, I'm guessing early April. I plan to have the review posted just before or immediately after Axpona.

Mar 16, 2015 at 8:07 AM Post #1,343 of 5,931
Is this the only amp out there that doesn't take up that much space but still remains a powerful amp? I realize not everything is power but I would like something that potentially sounds good with the he6 if I go that route. Ideally I would like to spend less but all the amps I see are much larger and take up too much space.

Mar 16, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #1,344 of 5,931
Is this the only amp out there that doesn't take up that much space but still remains a powerful amp?

While is doesn't have the wide flat form factor of some other amps, just remember the v281 is fairly deep - about 350mm including front knobs and rear connectors. That said, I think the 281's form factor is quite desktop friendly.

Mar 16, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #1,345 of 5,931
The flat form factor like a Schiit Mjolnir or similar amp is too much retail for me. I haven't seen many amps or any other amp in this price range with this form factor. I just was wondering if there's any competition there but I think I'm leaning to the v281 wins by default.

Mar 16, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #1,346 of 5,931
The flat form factor like a Schiit Mjolnir or similar amp is too much retail for me. I haven't seen many amps or any other amp in this price range with this form factor. I just was wondering if there's any competition there but I think I'm leaning to the v281 wins by default.

I'll echo what was said above: the V281 is not small. It's got the V200 form factor you are familiar with, but twice as high and deeper too. That said, I can't think of any other top level amps that would take up less space. The competition is Auralic Taurus, Schiit Ragnarok, HeadAmp GSX, and perhaps the SimAudio Moon 430HA (which I have yet to hear). All of those are quite wide compared to V281. I know you aren't a tube guy, and many of the top tube amps are large as well - Balancing Act and the other EC amps, DNA Stratus, etc. So perhaps V281 really IS the default choice for your needs.

BTW, I just heard from Arthur, North American distributor of Lake People/Violectric. He tells me that due to the decline in the Euro, he is able to offer 15% off as a sort of "Spring Sale" for those of us in the USA or Canada. No clue if this will last a long time or if it's temporary.... I suppose it depends on what the Euro does, as well as the Dollar.

Anyway, that's a pretty nice little discount. Lake People G109S is almost $100 off. V200 is just over $900 now, and V181 is $850. Nice discount on V281 as well - almost as low as it was before the price bump happened a few months back. As this is temporary, it might be good to buy sooner than later assuming you had your eye on some of this gear. 

Mar 17, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #1,347 of 5,931
The price is a bit much at this point even with the discount. However on thomann's site it's much less for me (dollar to euro is pretty good right now). They seem to have two options where one is without the Motor RC and one with it. It looks like I can save quite a bit buying it from them. I'm pretty tempted...

I just need to buy a balanced Hifiman cable too

Mar 17, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #1,348 of 5,931
I have the V281 (with the relay based volume control) since about a month. It's part of my bedside rig (Resonessence Invicta using SD cards -> balanced connection -> V281 -> HD800 (balanced Sennheiser cable).
This amp is really excellent! Previously I had a GSX mk2, but because of it's form factor I sold it. The amp needed more space in the depth (case plus the thick powerline between amp and power supply) than I had available on the shelf.
The current setup has a balanced interconnect with angled Neutrik plugs between the V281 and the DAC. The power line cable has also an angled plug on the amp side. So the footprint is as small as it gets.
After selling the GSX, I first tried to be happy with just using the build-in headphone amp in the Invicta (in balanced mode, using a Tam Audio adapter cable)... but having had the GSX before, this was a "no go". With the V281 I am back to the same sound quality I had before (at least). Be aware, I sold the GSX two months before I received the V281, therefore the time gap is to big for a precise and fair comparison.

Mar 17, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #1,349 of 5,931
Hey, we have similar systems! I'm running Invicta Mirus to the V281 (with the relay volume option) via XLR connection, then out to various headphones including the HD800 on a regular basis (via balanced cable). I agree, it's an excellent setup, not cheap but worth every penny when you listen to it. 

The good thing is, if you ever want to try any other headphones, the V281 is more than up to the task. 

Mar 18, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #1,350 of 5,931
From reading your (helpful) posts and reviews, which I always appreciate, I know you also like these Invictas (original and Mirus). I have a Mirus in addition, which is part of the desktop setup and connected to a BHSE/Stax. Combining the excellent audio quality with the SD card reader and the rich/useful feature set and build quality makes it an outstanding DAC (completely disagreeing with those - in fact very few - contributers in the thread "Thoughts on a bunch of DACs...").

But this thread is about the V281: even after the price raise, IMO it's worth every Euro/Dollar and can compete successfully with more expensive amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back