Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Jan 31, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #1,231 of 5,977

I did try XLR and RCA. I also tried both out settings (fixed volume and variable)
I connected several amps to it, I don't have any speakers I can try though. Yes both channels. Yes I tried other cables

So yeah, I'm pretty clueless for now.

If the effect is present on both settings and both outputs with different amps... that sounds like the output section is not working correctly. I'd contact Lake People and ask what to do.

Just to be sure: the source is fine? I.e. you hear the signal as intended on the headphone out on the V281? It does sound OK connecting your source directly to any of the other amps?

Jan 31, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #1,232 of 5,977
That's correct. Source is working fine and the SE and balanced out on the front are working too.
I have emailed Fried, I tried calling him but they're probably not open on Saturdays

Jan 31, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #1,233 of 5,977
Yes, almost certainly closed on weekends... they are a manufacturer, not a shop, so I guess they'll answer your mail on Monday.

Sorry to hear that... in case the output board is defective they might be able to send you the board to install yourself, sparing you the roundtrip of the whole amp.

Jan 31, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #1,234 of 5,977
  I have a problem and I hope you can help:

I'm using the XLR IN and XLR out to my Tube amp. However I only get very little and very distorted sound on my headphone amp.
The internal amp on the V281 is doing just fine, but it seems the Line out just isn't working.

What am I doing wrong here?

Just some idea from manual;

Are you using unbalanced and balanced outputs
simultaneously??
Do you use balanced-to-unbalanced adapter or vice versa?? Pin out should be checked with multimeter...

Jan 31, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #1,235 of 5,977
I am not mixing them, right now I was trying RCA but nothing. I opened it up but everything seems to be connected ok, that's all I, as tech amateur, can check. I'll just wait and see wat Fried says on monday. thanks!

Jan 31, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #1,237 of 5,977
  I am not mixing them, right now I was trying RCA but nothing. I opened it up but everything seems to be connected ok, that's all I, as tech amateur, can check. I'll just wait and see wat Fried says on monday. thanks!

if you did not activate the line outputs, you may be hearing the crosstalk (low and distorted)

MANUAL: http://www.lake-people.de/violectric-manuals.html?file=tl_files/Standard_Theme/downloads/Manuals/V281-E%20Manual%202014.pdf

Jan 31, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #1,238 of 5,977

How do you like the amp/sound so far anyway??

The balanced out is where the money is, the SE out is hardly if any different from my V200. But yes, the balanced out is very good with all my orthos.

And yes, I did activate the line out
cool.gif

Jan 31, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #1,239 of 5,977

How do you like the amp/sound so far anyway??

The balanced out is where the money is, the SE out is hardly if any different from my V200. But yes, the balanced out is very good with all my orthos.

And yes, I did activate the line out
cool.gif

hehe, one never knows...

check
PRE-POST FADER or FIXED-VARIABLE and Switching between “Pre“ and “Post“ sections

AND you can try a system reset :

• FACTORY RESET
    of all software based settings can be done by pushing the “XLR” button during powering up.

Jan 31, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #1,241 of 5,977
Sounds like everything you could try, has already been tried.

The only other thing I sometimes do is sleep on it and start fresh the next day, going over everything you've already done with fresh eyes. Sometimes I discover that what I thought I did.... I didn't do properly. Happens every once in a while. 

Most likely though you have some loose connection inside, or other defect. Hopefully Fried and crew can troubleshoot it and get you going quickly and easily. 

Jan 31, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #1,242 of 5,977
  does it matter how much of that gain comes from the pre gain and how much from the volume knob?

The gain setting almost certainly adjusts the feedback ratio.  This affects distortion.  From this perspective, less closed-loop gain (= more feedback) is better.
The volume knob attenuates the input signal, typically outside the closed loop.  Less attenuation is generally better, but this also lowers the input impedance.  (This is true even if it's part of the IPS LTP.)    In some cases, lack of attenuation can cause audible "flattening" due to the source output not being able to drive the amp input.  (Less likely if it's part of the LTP.)

So, reduce the gain until you run out of volume control, or there is an audible loss of dynamics and texture, or an audible shift in frequency response (like muffled highs).

Feb 1, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #1,243 of 5,977
Having used the V281 for about a week I can attest to that this amp is a true champion for all music genres that I listen to. 

The amp with all its muscle drives the bass in a very tight and controlled way, it doesn't increase the bass, but rather enhance it. Although, given my limited experience with other amps I do feel that this amp produce the most impactful bass of any amp I've yet listened to.

Mids are super lush and smooth, and at the same time extremely detailed. This is probably the greatest characteristic of this amp. The level of details it produce is astounding. I never really thought that an amp could reveal so many new details in the music, I always thought that this was reserved for the source choice and quality of the recording. Today I listened to one of my favourite recordings, the Gardiner's recording of Vespro della beata vergine, and the layering and separation of the voices in the choir was mesmerising. Of course this has also to do with the HD700 that I used, which by the way are truly excellent HPs for classical music, never heard a better HP for this genre.

Treble is well extended and not bright. It's not an overly analytical amp, just very detailed with great dynamics, and when driven fully balanced produce a very nice soundstage.

Thanks Fried for a great amp, looking forward to the V282 :wink:

Feb 2, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #1,244 of 5,977
Thanks for your impressions - sound very similar to what I hear. Listening to V281 right now, fed by a "lowly" Parasound Zdac v2 which is in for review, and driving an LCD-3F. Amazing system! Revealing enough to help spot the differences between this DAC and my reference (which costs 10x as much), yet in the end it's still very enjoyabl even without a megabuck source. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back