Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Feb 13, 2015 at 7:33 AM Post #1,262 of 5,931

Hmm convert them to balanced. You can thank me later....

Well, I'm converting the cable on the 500's - and also putting a female inline xlr to the TRS plug so I can compare the he-500's on both SE/balanced outputs of the v281.
The he-500 is easy because they use 2 discrete pairs.

The Q701 has that 3 pin mini xlr - so I'd have to modify the actual headphones. Don't know if I want to do this, especially since the 701's are mainly used for SE listening on my desktop computer.
FWIW, I find the he-500's much superior to the 701's for extended music listening (with the Grace 903 anyway). But I really like the q701's as well. They're very different HF's.

Feb 13, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #1,263 of 5,931
….I'm listening to the he-500's on the Grace M903 right now - sounding damn good.
I must be crazy. Hope I've made the right decision dropping all that cash for v281(?) 
confused.gif

Feb 13, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #1,264 of 5,931
  Ordered my V281 this afternoon - silver version with the standard remote option.
For the moment the DAC will still be my Grace m903 dac/amp (uses the PCM1798 like the Violectric 24/192 card, with arguably more sophisticated support chips/opamps). 

Hoping the balanced output of the v281 will be a significant step up from the 903 driving my HE-500's - the 903 actually sounds quite good with the 500's.
The Grace puts out around 1.5W into 50ohms (I measured the HE500's at 46.9 ohms) - at that impedance the v281's should offer 4W of (higher?) quality balanced drive. Wonder how it will shape up?
Also interested to see how the extra grunt via the SE output improves my Q701's.

M903 is a nice DAC, so that's a good combo. Congrats!

Feb 13, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #1,265 of 5,931
Just received my V281 today. I have ordered it with the relay-based volume control. The package contains the remote but how can I verify that it has indeed the relay-based option? I am not keen on opening the amp and no possibility to glimpse through some air vents. There's also no sticker on the amp, which would specify anything more than V281

I am still waiting for a balanced cable to connect the Invicta DAC and the V281... therefore the amp will just sit on the shelf for the next few days. 

Feb 13, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #1,267 of 5,931
  Just received my V281 today. I have ordered it with the relay-based volume control. The package contains the remote but how can I verify that it has indeed the relay-based option? I am not keen on opening the amp and no possibility to glimpse through some air vents. There's also no sticker on the amp, which would specify anything more than V281

I am still waiting for a balanced cable to connect the Invicta DAC and the V281... therefore the amp will just sit on the shelf for the next few days. 

When powered on, turn the volume knob. You will hear a moderately loud, fast clicking noise as the knob rotates. That's relays in action. The noise will physically come from the amp itself, not through your headphones. Hard to explain but you'll know it when you hear it. 

The regular volume option is silent as it turns. 

Feb 13, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #1,269 of 5,931

When powered on, turn the volume knob. You will hear a moderately loud, fast clicking noise as the knob rotates. That's relays in action. The noise will physically come from the amp itself, not through your headphones. Hard to explain but you'll know it when you hear it. 

Many thanks, I'll try that

Feb 13, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #1,270 of 5,931

Nice one Project 86..

Feb 14, 2015 at 6:33 AM Post #1,271 of 5,931

Very nice... You replaced the lower part of the cable, starting at the joint, correct?
Its rather cheap when one can do that oneself :)

Its all replaced yeah, from connector to the soldering of the driver itself. Opened cups and desolder to solder new cable!

Feb 15, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #1,272 of 5,931
  Just let you know guys this afternoon I balanced my Denon AH-D7000, I had to do it because the original cable was getting too anyoning so I got some good cable & connectors and here is the result:

First impresions with V281 of course: Bass is cleaner, mids and highs more neutral than SE and dynamics & soundstage have increased considerably... Totally worth it, and just for 7€ (cable is Tasker C128 balanced microphone cable and connector Neutrik NC4MXX )

You inspired me Megalo..., I've ordered some Tasker C128 locally last week and trough the weekend here it is. It is indeed nice cable, and it sounds perfect with my 702.
It is my first finished DIY cable so far. Next will be balanced for LCD-X and V281..

Feb 15, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #1,273 of 5,931
  You inspired me Megalo..., I've ordered some Tasker C128 locally last week and trough the weekend here it is. It is indeed nice cable, and it sounds perfect with my 702.
It is my first finished DIY cable so far. Next will be balanced for LCD-X and V281..

Wow! Thats some fine job right there!

The first time I did a litz braid was an adventure with so much cable, but the followings were easier!

Im very glad I inspired you :D

Feb 15, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #1,274 of 5,931
There was some collateral damage from soldering iron...but nothing major..
atsmile.gif

Braiding was very fast and easy, but soldering that mini XLR took me half day...
Anyway, pleasure when I finally  connected my old and good AKG 702 with my new cable to Violectric V2∞1 payed it off..
There was NO any difference to OEM cable that I can tell but at least looks fresh.
Beauty of this Tasker cable is in different color wire where 1 is tinned and other not.
I did use tinned one for common ground and copper once for hot port and starboard
beerchug.gif

Once braided and mixed light makes all the work by reflecting differently to make pearl like effect.

How did you come after this Tasker cable anyway??

Now looking for some cheap Ohno cooper wire for Audeze.

Feb 15, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #1,275 of 5,931

Besides the clicks out of the amp itself (as project86 mentioned) you'll also hear an occasional click in your headphones while turning the volume knob due to the high-bit relays switching. May sound a bit like static noise. Thats normal and it will be silent as soon as you stop turning the knob.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back