Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Jan 21, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #1,201 of 5,929
  Would you recommend V281 for LCD-2/LCD-X to someone who thought V200/LCD-2 pairing wasn't too good due to excessive warmth and too little air/space?

imo: While the balanced out on the V281 is extremely good (I havent used the SE out anymore), I doubt this is the amp for you. To me the V281 is well, more balanced, has a bigger sound stage and more air. All that with a detailed and smooth delivery, but the sound is still on the warmer side. So it's "half half" (based on LCD-2 and LCD-XC)

Can't you try it out first?

Jan 21, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #1,202 of 5,929

imo: While the balanced out on the V281 is extremely good (I havent used the SE out anymore), I doubt this is the amp for you. To me the V281 is well, more balanced, has a bigger sound stage and more air. All that with a detailed and smooth delivery, but the sound is still on the warmer side. So it's "half half" (based on LCD-2 and LCD-XC)

Can't you try it out first?

Thank you for your helpful answer!

I would love to try out V281 and decide for myself, but it is not easy in my country. Anyway, the things you said about V281 agree with my general impression of this amp (which I have derived from reading many posts and reviews)

This is why I am considering two other amps for the LCD-X:
- Bryston BHA-1 (which gets lots of praise in general and also for this specific pairing; although I    
  sometimes read BHA-1 might be a little bit bright or analytically sounding)
- Auralic Taurus MKII (which is also praised with lcd-x)

I wonder how these two amps compare to V281. I'd appreciate any opinions as I probably won't have a chance to audition any of them before my purchase)

Jan 22, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #1,203 of 5,929

I would love to try out V281 and decide for myself, but it is not easy in my country. Anyway, the things you said about V281 agree with my general impression of this amp (which I have derived from reading many posts and reviews)

- Bryston BHA-1 (which gets lots of praise in general and also for this specific pairing; although I    

I wonder how these two amps compare to V281. I'd appreciate any opinions as I probably won't have a chance to audition any of them before my purchase)

I dont have any experience with those other amps, but I have tried the V281 with the top under 2000 dollar flagships, a few of them at least, and I wouldn't say that it has a tilt to warm, it's more like an organic tone than a warm tone. I used to have an lcd-2 pre-fazor and it was more than good sounding out of it. I've also used it with the hd800 and it doesnt do much to change the slight brightness and analytical nature of that headphone. So also take into consideration that it is very balanced, and doesn't do much to change the headphone, which is also why i like it so much, you just get a solid example of what you're headphones sound like. Unless you specifically want something on the brighter/analytical side for your amp, versus a warmer more tubey sound. The V281 falls right in between, without being boring.

Jan 22, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #1,204 of 5,929
[..]

If HD800 performance can be any indication, Taurus sounds very similar to the V281. The only difference I noticed was a slight tendency towards harshness in mids in Taurus, when compared to the V281. Other than that I wouldn't be able to tell them apart. BHA-1 in comparisin was brighter, but I wouldn't call it analytical. Not sure how these observations will translate to LCD-X...

All 3 of them were quite transparent to the DAC changes, so that may be another avenue of fine-tuning the sound.

Jan 22, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #1,205 of 5,929

I would also strongly consider the Schiit Ragnarok.  I use it with the LCDX and its a nice pairing.  (I also own the V281, and its true, the 281 is still a bit on the warm side, but the highs are another issue entirely).  The Rag treble is not bright and the amp is not what I would consider warm, but rather, smooth.

Jan 22, 2015 at 6:04 AM Post #1,206 of 5,929

I tried all 3 amps with HD800 and HE6 and I bought Taurus MK2 instead of Bryston.

Later on I sold Taurus and bought V281 because it has more power especially in balanced mode.

Jan 22, 2015 at 6:27 AM Post #1,207 of 5,929

I tried all 3 amps with HD800 and HE6 and I bought Taurus MK2 instead of Bryston.

Later on I sold Taurus and bought V281 because it has more power especially in balanced mode.

I suppose V281 may also synergize better with the headphones you have (HD-800, HE-6) as it gives them some warmth.

I am looking for an amp for LCD-X so my case might be different.

Why did you choose Taurus over Bryston?
And what is the biggest difference in sound between Taurus and V281?

Jan 22, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #1,211 of 5,929

I suppose V281 may also synergize better with the headphones you have (HD-800, HE-6) as it gives them some warmth.

I am looking for an amp for LCD-X so my case might be different.

Why did you choose Taurus over Bryston?
And what is the biggest difference in sound between Taurus and V281?

Hi Korzena,

I very much recognize myself in your dilemma, it was pretty much the one I had a couple of months ago, before I purchased my V281. I fortunately had the chance to listen to the V281, the Taurus and the Bryston at the same place I bought my V281 and LCD-Xs (at Computer Lounge in Auckland NZ). It's not easy to put your finger on the specific differences between the Taurus and the V281 without unpacking quite a portion of your music collection; both are excellent Amps and certainly qualify as endgame Amps if you're out to get the best for your LCD-Xs.

Nevertheless, and with the exception of the BHA-1, the Taurus and the V281 are serious overkill if you're only wanting an Amp to drive your LCD-Xs. The LCD-Xs are extremely efficient and easy to drive; I can drive to more than desirable levels from my iPhone and and Macbook, but of course not with the quality of a dedicated Amp, such as the V281, the Taurus, the BHA-1 or my good old V100.

When it comes to driving the LCD-Xs, the BHA-1 has more than enough juice and offers balanced output as well, something the V281 and Taurus will also provide but at a higher cost. The V281 and the Taurus are excellent Amps and certainly among the 10 most capable and versatile out there, but in my humble opinion, a bit too expensive to drive a pair of LCD-Xs. If I were you, I'd seriously consider the BHA-1 for functionality, build quality and the pedigree - Bryston makes really excellent gear.

If you want the very best performance out there, also consider the V100, the V181 (also with balanced output) and the V200. These last three Amps have analogue specs that put many DAC's digital performance to shame. and they are among very few Amps that will deliver the the full digital performance of your D/A converter to your headphones, and thus fully render High-Resolution audio (129 dB SNR, -109 dB THD and a frequency response of 0-55kHz). The Taurus doesn't really get there (as independent tests have shown), and neither does the Bryston.

If I only had my LCD-Xs, I would be more than happy with my V100 (or a V181 or V200), but if you have the money to buy the Taurus, the V281 or the BHA-1, there's nothing stopping you. With the V281 you'll be more than covered to drive absolutely any headphones (except electrostatic), past, present or future.

My impressions with the three Amps is that the Bryston is indeed brighter but not overly so, and I'd say it takes specific recordings to appreciate that. I find the Taurus slightly brighter than the V281, but not by a huge margin. I didn't do a blind test, so I would reserve my opinion here to the status of impressions. When it comes to the soundstage, it is also very subjective, but I find the V281 to be more open and pleasing (but I listen mostly to Classic, Jazz and acoustic music). The LCD-Xs are as neutral as I have heard Planar-Magnetic headphones, and I only considered Planar-Magnetic headphones after the LCD-Xs came out and after Audeze's fazor technology. Before that I always swore by my HD-800s. As far as I'm concerned, the LCD-Xs will do fine and benefit from both the Violectrics or the Taurus, but I would prefer them over the Bryston. I would also prefer the V100, V181 and V200 over the Bryston, for signature, performance and ability to drive virtually any headphone out there, but of course not if you feel they add warmth.

My guess is that you would be happy with either the V281 or the Taurus, and perhaps with the V100, V181 or V200. You would nevertheless only get the ultimate audio performance from the Violectric Amps. I have unfortunately not been able to audition the Questyle CMA800, but from what reviews and head-fiers say, the Questyle would certainly not add the warmth you dislike from the V200 (although I'd attribute the warmth more to the LCD-2s than the V200, especially if they aren't fazor editions) and it would also be at the top of my list along with the newest Amps from Headamp and the BHA-1. I have also recently found out that Pass Labs is soon releasing a dedicated headamp, and that would certainly be worth considering if waiting isn't an issue.

For headphones as easy to drive as a pair of LCD-Xs, I would also definitely not exclude a Benchmark DAC 2 DX or an Anedio D2, which both also feature some of the very best headamps out there, yet not with the same output power and voltage, nor with balanced outputs. They are also at the same time state of the art D/A converters and for a fantastic price.

My idea is not to confuse you by adding more components to your list, but to put your future purchase into perspective considering the real demands that the LCD-Xs pose. They can certainly benefit from Amps as competent as the Taurus and the V281, but they don't by very far need that kind of output power or voltage, and can be easily driven by smaller yet equally well performing Amps and DAC/Amps.

Personally, if I had no intention of buying headphones that demand more from your Amp in the future, I would go for a Benchmark DAC 2 DX, or if saving almost $800 is a good thing, for the Anedio D2. You would be getting a state of the art D/A converter and a state of the art Amp in one package - when it comes to driving a pair of LCD-Xs and anything else with exceptions like a HE-6 or a K1000. If it came down to the very best performance out there from a dedicated Amp regardless of money, I'd go for the V100, V181 or V200, but that of course means spending some more on a DAC, in which case the two DACs above mentioned would certainly be on my shortlist.

Again, if money is no issue, you can't go wrong with the V281 or Taurus, and especially if you want to get more demanding headphones in the future. If that's not the case, go for a DAC/Amp solution like the Benchmark or the Anedio, or a separate DAC and Amp, like BHA-1, the CMA800 or the V100/V181/V200 with an Anedio D2 or Benchmark DAC 2L (without headamp).

Hope to have helped a little.

Cheers!

Jan 22, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #1,212 of 5,929
I would also strongly consider the Schiit Ragnarok.  I use it with the LCDX and its a nice pairing.  (I also own the V281, and its true, the 281 is still a bit on the warm side, but the highs are another issue entirely).  The Rag treble is not bright and the amp is not what I would consider warm, but rather, smooth.

What do you mean by smooth highs in ragnarok? Are they not as extended as in violectric?

What kind of the highs did you mean talking about vio?

I wonder about differences in soundstage between the two, too. Would you be able to compare them?

Jan 22, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #1,213 of 5,929
Hi zkadoush!
Thank you for your long post which i find very helpful and which made me thinking.

I will go through it again and see if i still have any questions:wink:

Jan 23, 2015 at 3:08 AM Post #1,214 of 5,929
For me Taurus is kind of smoother but BHA-1 is a very good amp as well my friend use it to drive his AKG K1000.

Currently I sold both HD800 and HE6 and using V281 with LCD-3 Fazor. This combo sound amazingly good, highly recommended. 

In my opinion both Taurus and V281 are very neutral and not actually warm sounding. They didn't make my HD800 or HE6 sound warm or less bright like other tube amp or some solid-state amp like HDVD800. 

Jan 23, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #1,215 of 5,929
  For me Taurus is kind of smoother but BHA-1 is a very good amp as well my friend use it to drive his AKG K1000.

Currently I sold both HD800 and HE6 and using V281 with LCD-3 Fazor. This combo sound amazing good highly recommended. 

In my opinion both Taurus and V281 are very neutral and not actually warm sounding. They didn't make my HD800 or HE6 sound warm or less bright like other tube amp or some solid-state amp like HDVD800. 

Yea same experience here, when I tried out the hd800 for two weeks at home the V281 didnt exactly do anything to make the hd800 seem less bright than you would expect it to be. I would say it's more like the V281 is definitely not walking close to that line between neutral and bright, it keeps its distance from that line, well into the neutral territory, and you can tell that you aren't going be crossing that line ever, and it also is the same with the line between neutral and warm/tubey. Combine that with a smooth, very clean, very rock solid sound, and thats the V281 I feel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back