Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
May 6, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #4,591 of 5,991
me and Robertsm traded amp earlier in the weeks, I gotta say, its extremely hard for me to let go of the Woo Audio WA6-se I had, but my susvara needed more power. I hope it doesnt disappoint me.

May 6, 2020 at 10:25 PM Post #4,592 of 5,991
me and Robertsm traded amp earlier in the weeks, I gotta say, its extremely hard for me to let go of the Woo Audio WA6-se I had, but my susvara needed more power. I hope it doesnt disappoint me.

Welcome to the V281 owners club. Tons and tons of information here. Also, I noticed the owners are usually very willing to help and answer questions and give advice.

Also, I think you'll learn that with V281 flexibility with DIP switches for headphone gain and output flexibility to act as a preamp, this bad boy is in the hall of fame for amps!

May 7, 2020 at 3:28 AM Post #4,593 of 5,991
goodbye RobertSM

8CrR.gif

May 7, 2020 at 5:31 AM Post #4,594 of 5,991
I reached out to Violectrics and would like to post this here to clear this up once and for all. The internal amp circuitry of V200, V220, V280, V281 are identical. According to them all these amps sound identical with unbalanced headphones, when driven with the same source. Also the preamp quality of V220 and V281 is identical.

May 7, 2020 at 5:40 AM Post #4,596 of 5,991
Welcome to the V281 owners club. Tons and tons of information here. Also, I noticed the owners are usually very willing to help and answer questions and give advice.

Also, I think you'll learn that with V281 flexibility with DIP switches for headphone gain and output flexibility to act as a preamp, this bad boy is in the hall of fame for amps!
I see you have traded this for the Woo Audio WA6-se. If I remember correctly, you also own the SPL Phonitor 2.:)
Sad to see you leaving the Violectric/LP bandwagon though.

Last edited:
May 7, 2020 at 6:57 AM Post #4,597 of 5,991
He's going for the new gen.

May 7, 2020 at 7:10 AM Post #4,598 of 5,991
I reached out to Violectrics and would like to post this here to clear this up once and for all. The internal amp circuitry of V200, V220, V280, V281 are identical. According to them all these amps sound identical with unbalanced headphones, when driven with the same source. Also the preamp quality of V220 and V281 is identical.

Well I have stated that thousand times in this thread....

May 7, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #4,600 of 5,991
goodbye RobertSM

8CrR.gif

Thank you.

But you're all not getting rid of me so easily. I still own the Violectric V850. And @Fegefeuer and @AudioPowerHead are both correct. I will be without a Violectric amp only for a short time. My plan this Summer will be to either have a new gen Violectric or maybe the Niimbus. To be 100% honest the Niimbus is probably too much of a stretch with my budget. So most likely the next gen.

I'll still be around in the forums. My praise and appreciation for Violectric hasn't changed. But as we all know in life...nothing stays the same. :beyersmile:

Last edited:
May 8, 2020 at 3:10 AM Post #4,602 of 5,991
Hello,

I run my V280 with the internal DAC. I can think of an upgrade to the new V380 to get a better dac, but in Germany you will only get around 800€ for a used V280. So I don’t want to loose 1000€ in one year. So.. to upgrade my Amp, I am thinking about update my dac section. Are there any recommendations?
And what will the new lineup mean for the price of the old series?

May 8, 2020 at 3:24 AM Post #4,603 of 5,991
The new generation will mark the end of the current, only a selected few will reappear in new form factors.

V281 and 280 will go into EOL

If you are happy with the v280, wait it out until you are much more comfortable to upgrade. The listening experience will not get worse in the meanwhile.

Upgrading your DAC is a good idea. What are you using right now? Which headphones do you use? Are they all balanced?

May 8, 2020 at 4:01 AM Post #4,605 of 5,991
My DAC recommendations are

Bifrost 2 - best value, very good tone/timbre, extension

Gungnir Multibit - lively, jumpy, emphasizes transients, more punch and slam as BF2 but tonally colder.

Matrix X-Sabre Pro - most neutral, very clear, images rather flat

V850 - no nonsense DAC, politer than the rest, more rounded than most, no digititus at all

Convert-2 - for the crazy and bold, very hardhitting and jumpy, very exciting and good tone, kinda polished like Ubisoft's Antialiasing, not the very best in microdetails but still very good, 19" format and not the best build/design.

Yggdrasil Analog 2 - amazing tone and timbre, hard hitting bass, warmer than Gungnir but still great attack

Never heard Hugo 2 or Qutest.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back