Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Mar 7, 2020 at 6:47 PM Post #4,547 of 5,977
Prototype, nothing released yet.
It looks so good even as a prototype. This is likely the next gen V850/V280 combo unit with 32 bits. Any idea if this includes a Femto clock inside too?

Mar 7, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #4,549 of 5,977
Relax and enjoy the V280. DAC/AMPs will come first and then some time later standalone amps.

Also plenty of other stuff finally coming, especially cables. No need to look out for overbraided cables with 50kg midichlorian bathed connectors, enclothed in lovecraftian tentacle alien tissue with tomato sauce that glow in the dark if you come near your stack.

Pro Audio stuff. Robust, well built yet also flexible. Of course naturally "oversized" in terms of materials, satisfying all kinds of nervosa.
I can attest to the high quality of their cables as I own their Violectric balanced interconnects and AES. Nothing fanciful but they provide excellent signal transmission.

Mar 7, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #4,550 of 5,977
I'm a little sad because that means I won't get a next generation Violectric DAC to pair with my V280 (atleast not with amtching footprint), but it certainly looks nice.

Understandable. The case work had to be different now to improve performance, thermal design and offer more options.

e.g. a full combo in one package/enclosure like this.

It looks so good even as a prototype. This is likely the next gen V850/V280 combo unit with 32 bits. Any idea if this includes a Femto clock inside too?

This is more of a V281 successor with a full DAC board. No idea about Femto. We will find out soon.

Apr 11, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #4,551 of 5,977
Some of you have speaker/monitor setups with w/subs (I have both). For any interested in better integrating sub w/speakers, a really high-quality solution just went F.S. on US Audiomart: the Marchand XM44 electronic crossover:

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649608350-marchand-xm44-crossover-balanced-option/

I have the Marchand XM66 with variable crossover frequency capability and can't praise it highly enough. I can detect zero audible effect of having this crossover in the system, and believe me, I tried to find some...

Highly recommended--plus the price is excellent.

The fact that this particular unit can do either SE or balanced connections is pure gravy IMO.

Apr 11, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #4,552 of 5,977
So what does the V281 do to a signal it has received from a dac when it is operating in fixed pre fader (pre amp) mode? I know that the volume is fixed in pre fader mode, but does the V281 process, and alter the sound ii anyway before passing it on to the speakers, or does it keep it intact and neutral? Another way lf asking the same question, is if my amps powering my two front speakers would sound the same, if I were to connect them directly to the Yggy A2 directly, without. interfacing them through the V281, as I am currently doing.

Lastly, for those who have first hand familiarity with both, does the analog preamp section of the Niimbus US4+ sound the same as, different from, or better than the preamp section of the Violectric V281 when they're both hooked up to amps and speakers in fixed volume pre fader mode?

Apr 12, 2020 at 2:10 AM Post #4,553 of 5,977
Some of you have speaker/monitor setups with w/subs (I have both). For any interested in better integrating sub w/speakers, a really high-quality solution just went F.S. on US Audiomart: the Marchand XM44 electronic crossover:

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649608350-marchand-xm44-crossover-balanced-option/

I have the Marchand XM66 with variable crossover frequency capability and can't praise it highly enough. I can detect zero audible effect of having this crossover in the system, and believe me, I tried to find some...

Highly recommended--plus the price is excellent.

The fact that this particular unit can do either SE or balanced connections is pure gravy IMO.

How does it work?
Put this crossover between the DAC and the amp in the signal path and connect an active subwoofer additionally to it?

Apr 12, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #4,554 of 5,977
How does it work?
Put this crossover between the DAC and the amp in the signal path and connect an active subwoofer additionally to it?

There are 2 general scenarios:

1. DAC has no volume control: Here the output of the DAC (whether RCA or 2 X 3-pin balanced) must be connected to a line level component (ie, preamp or headphone amp/preamp) that has a volume pot. Then:
  • the output of the line level component connects to the input of the Marchand
  • the high-pass output of the Marchand (containing all frequencies above the crossover point) gets connected to either the power amp that drives speakers; or to the line-in of powered speakers
  • and the low-pass output of the Marchand (containing all frequencies below the crossover point) gets connected to the active subwoofer; or if the sub is passive, it's connected to the separate amp that powers the sub
My system is like this. One of my DAC's single-ended outputs is connected to the Violectric V281 amp/preamp, set up to serve as a line level preamp in addition to headphone amp. The single-ended output of the V281 is connected to the Marchand XM66, which then splits the signal to a high-pass output connecting to a class D amp that powers my passive monitors; and a low-pass output that goes to the powered subwoofer (with its own crossover bypassed). I'm currently using a crossover point of 70 Hz, after starting out w/80 Hz.

2. DAC has a volume control: In this case, the output of the DAC (whether RCA or 2 X 3-pin balanced) must be connected directly to the input of the Marchand. Then:
  • the high-pass output of the Marchand (containing all frequencies above the crossover point) gets connected to either the power amp that drives speakers; or to the line-in of powered speakers
  • and the low-pass output of the Marchand (containing all frequencies below the crossover point) gets connected to the active subwoofer; or if the sub is passive, it's connected to the separate amp that powers the sub

Re crossover point: The crossover frequency of some Marchand electronic crossover is fixed (ie, XM9, XM44); for example, the XM44 in the listing I linked to has a crossover of 80 Hz. Note that with such fixed-crossover boxes, the crossover frequency can be changed to any desired frequency by purchasing and installing crossover cards set to 70 Hz, 60 Hz, whatever you want.

One Marchand electronic crossover (my XM66) have variable crossover frequencies that are set via a front panel interface for this purpose. BTW, those volume pots for high- and low-pass on the front panel of the crossover? They're not to adjust system volume (the lack the full bottom-to-top range of a preamp volume control); instead, these are for adjusting the relative levels of high- and low-pass outputs.

If you have some other system configuration not discussed above, just PM me or indicate what it is & I'll try to address it.

BTW, there are other, cheaper crossover options available. There are number of professional/studio crossovers costing $200-$400 that can be used in music systems. However, these often are balanced only; and/or are said to sound pretty bad in a quality music system (the sonic objectives of pro systems are rather different than audiophiles'/music lovers' systems). And finally, there are inexpensive digital boxes that digitize the input and divide the signal to high- and low-pass in the digital domain before converting back to analog & sending to amp + sub. But...inserting a ADA component in the system may have sonic consequences...your ears will be the judge.

Apr 12, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #4,555 of 5,977
Nice descriptions

1. DAC has no volume control: Here the output of the DAC (whether RCA or 2 X 3-pin balanced) must be connected to a line level component (ie, preamp or headphone amp/preamp) that has a volume pot. Then:
My system is like this. One of my DAC's single-ended outputs is connected to the Violectric V281 amp/preamp, set up to serve as a line level preamp in addition to headphone amp. The single-ended output of the V281 is connected to the Marchand XM66, which then splits the signal to a high-pass output connecting to a class D amp that powers my passive monitors; and a low-pass output that goes to the powered subwoofer (with its own crossover bypassed). I'm currently using a crossover point of 70 Hz, after starting out w/80 Hz.

2. DAC has a volume control: In this case, the output of the DAC (whether RCA or 2 X 3-pin balanced) must be connected directly to the input of the Marchand. Then:

Re crossover point: The crossover frequency of some Marchand electronic crossover is fixed (ie, XM9, XM44); for example, the XM44 in the listing I linked to has a crossover of 80 Hz. Note that with such fixed-crossover boxes, the crossover frequency can be changed to any desired frequency by purchasing and installing crossover cards set to 70 Hz, 60 Hz, whatever you want.

One Marchand electronic crossover (my XM66) have variable crossover frequencies that are set via a front panel interface for this purpose. BTW, those volume pots for high- and low-pass on the front panel of the crossover? They're not to adjust system volume (the lack the full bottom-to-top range of a preamp volume control); instead, these are for adjusting the relative levels of high- and low-pass outputs.

If you have some other system configuration not discussed above, just PM me or indicate what it is & I'll try to address it.

BTW, there are other, cheaper crossover options available. There are number of professional/studio crossovers costing $200-$400 that can be used in music systems. However, these often are balanced only; and/or are said to sound pretty bad in a quality music system (the sonic objectives of pro systems are rather different than audiophiles'/music lovers' systems). And finally, there are inexpensive digital boxes that digitize the input and divide the signal to high- and low-pass in the digital domain before converting back to analog & sending to amp + sub. But...inserting a ADA component in the system may have sonic consequences...your ears will be the judge.
. Nice description. I use the XM 66 as well for the purpose of integrating 2 subs with a pair of quad esl 63's. In my case I crossover at 100. I'm curious how you set your powered sub to negate the internal crossover? I like the Marchand crossover and think its pretty a flexible device.

Apr 12, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #4,556 of 5,977
Nice descriptions
. Nice description. I use the XM 66 as well for the purpose of integrating 2 subs with a pair of quad esl 63's. In my case I crossover at 100. I'm curious how you set your powered sub to negate the internal crossover? I like the Marchand crossover and think its pretty a flexible device.

My sub (JL Audio e110) has some very handy features, including a top-mounted array of electronic controls, one of which switches the internal crossover in/out of line. When using the Marchand XM66, I switch the sub's crossover out, so that it has no effect on sound. This method is ideal because the sub's crossover is not active & thus cannot impart any sonic character (however slight) on the sound of the sub (we're talking tiny sonic differences here).

Subs that lack this feature can still be easily adjusted for an external crossover--just find the potentiometer that selects low-pass crossover point desired (ie, 80 Hz, 100 Hz, whatever); then rotate the pot to a much higher crossover point, well above whatever frequency you set on the Marchand. Technically this means that the sub's crossover is still in-line & active, but cannot interfere w/the Marchand.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #4,557 of 5,977
My sub (JL Audio e110) has some very handy features, including a top-mounted array of electronic controls, one of which switches the internal crossover in/out of line. When using the Marchand XM66, I switch the sub's crossover out, so that it has no effect on sound. This method is ideal because the sub's crossover is not active & thus cannot impart any sonic character (however slight) on the sound of the sub (we're talking tiny sonic differences here).

Subs that lack this feature can still be easily adjusted for an external crossover--just find the potentiometer that selects low-pass crossover point desired (ie, 80 Hz, 100 Hz, whatever); then rotate the pot to a much higher crossover point, well above whatever frequency you set on the Marchand. Technically this means that the sub's crossover is still in-line & active, but cannot interfere w/the Marchand.
Thanks.

Apr 13, 2020 at 7:22 AM Post #4,558 of 5,977

Thanks for your detailed explanations, do i get it right that both options have two volume pots?
Or which solution would provide just one volume pot?

Apr 13, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #4,559 of 5,977
Thanks for your detailed explanations, do i get it right that both options have two volume pots?
Or which solution would provide just one volume pot?

Actually, my outline assumed that there would be just one volume pot to control system volume:
  • In the "DAC has no volume control" option, that volume pot would be on the preamp, HP amp/preamp, or other line level device that receives the output of the DAC & sends it on to the electronic crossover;
    • For this option I totally forgot to mention that a passive volume controller of some kind could just as well take care of system volume (instead of a preamp or HP amp/preamp)
  • And in the "DAC has a volume control" option, it's the DAC that has a volume pot to control whole-system volume.
In real-world systems, there sometimes are more than 1 volume pot that can control system volume, or the volume of part of a system. I left out that variable because it becomes pretty confusing to lay out how such a system would be configured...

Apr 16, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #4,560 of 5,977
In real-world systems, there sometimes are more than 1 volume pot that can control system volume, or the volume of part of a system. I left out that variable because it becomes pretty confusing to lay out how such a system would be configured...

Yes, that was the reason why i have asked, more than one volume pot is confusing and could affect the sound quality when configured in the wrong way.

One of your options was to connect it to an active subwoofer and the integrated amp in the subwoofer usually has also a volume control (the second in the whole setup)
This were my thoughts...
Anyway, thanks for the details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back