Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Aug 7, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #4,291 of 5,977
I've tried a lot of all that USB stuff, from the EITR to Allegro to EITR, to Matrix, Singxer, Mutec etc and it's simply not worth it. No Matrix, Singxer, Mutec will ever beat a multichannel card.
Get the EITR and be happy with it or go big and get a true interface card. Anything else can be a terribly deep rabbit hole full of nervosa.

The EITR does a lot of good things for its price and handles USB properly. True Isolation, reclocking, independant power from the source aka self-powered.

Of course I'd be curious to see how the DAT RS05 improves the chain as an external femtoclock.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #4,292 of 5,977
@Pharmaboy - well unfortunately there is no way for me to test both devices I mentioned, that is why I am trying to gather some opinions :).

My favorite so far is the Matrix SPDIF 2. It's the most refined of the converts I've used.

The matrix is out of my budget so I that is automatically off of my list hehe, and I think the difference it has with the eitr is the AES/EBU which will not really matter to me as I am planning to get the RS05 (sorry forgot to mention this earlier).

I am successfully using a Fiio K3 as a usb to coax converter with an Atlas cable and it sounds very good.

Didn’t know that the K3 has a usb to coax functionality, will check this out, thank you!

Aug 7, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #4,293 of 5,977
Very interesting. Never heard of this one. Can it be used w/o the external power supply (ie, using USB bus power only)?

How is it better than other converters? And do you mean "expensive," not "expressive"?

(thanks)
Yes it can be used without a power adapter. You can buy a power adapter for it too. Yes I mean expensive not expressive. Auto-correct is the bane of my existence....

A few things that I find superior to other adapters I've used....

1) It has been the easiest to use technically, I've had no problems with disconnect and show stoppers like that.
2) It has and I2S output.
3) It is much more refined sounding. More transparent. It doesn't change the sound like others I've used.

That's a few I can think of.

Aug 7, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #4,294 of 5,977
@Pharmaboy - well unfortunately there is no way for me to test both devices I mentioned, that is why I am trying to gather some opinions :).

The matrix is out of my budget so I that is automatically off of my list hehe, and I think the difference it has with the eitr is the AES/EBU which will not really matter to me as I am planning to get the RS05 (sorry forgot to mention this earlier).

Didn’t know that the K3 has a usb to coax functionality, will check this out, thank you!
So I did a little Googling and it seems the D10 is as good as the Matrix. This link has measurements. One thing about measurements is they don't tell the whole story but go with the D10 I think you'll be happy.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...of-matrix-audio-x-spdif-2-usb-converter.6597/

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2019 at 7:43 PM Post #4,295 of 5,977
So I did a little Googling and it seems the D10 is as good as the Matrix. This link has measurements. One thing about measurements is they don't tell the whole story but go with the D10 I think you'll be happy.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...of-matrix-audio-x-spdif-2-usb-converter.6597/

But we don't listen to measurements...and sometimes a device that measure less well than another device is reported to sound better.

Example: all other things being equal, a tube amp will measure less well than a solid state amp. But many of the tube amps I've heard sound the voice of god (and I don't even believe in god).

Aug 7, 2019 at 8:21 PM Post #4,296 of 5,977
But we don't listen to measurements...and sometimes a device that measure less well than another device is reported to sound better.

Example: all other things being equal, a tube amp will measure less well than a solid state amp. But many of the tube amps I've heard sound the voice of god (and I don't even believe in god).
I agree. I'm guessing the D10 isn't as good. The SPDIF 2 is custom engineered and does reduce noise. I've heard it first thing.

Aug 21, 2019 at 8:54 PM Post #4,297 of 5,977
Aug 21, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #4,298 of 5,977

Clone, all the way. This clone V281 thing keeps popping up from time to time in this string.

There is no free lunch. No copy can do what a V281 does. If you aspire to own a V281, save your $$ and buy one. Don't mess w/clones.

Aug 21, 2019 at 11:21 PM Post #4,299 of 5,977
I've tried a lot of all that USB stuff, from the EITR to Allegro to EITR, to Matrix, Singxer, Mutec etc and it's simply not worth it. No Matrix, Singxer, Mutec will ever beat a multichannel card.
Get the EITR and be happy with it or go big and get a true interface card. Anything else can be a terribly deep rabbit hole full of nervosa.

The EITR does a lot of good things for its price and handles USB properly. True Isolation, reclocking, independant power from the source aka self-powered.

Of course I'd be curious to see how the DAT RS05 improves the chain as an external femtoclock.

Just curious if yo have given Dante a try? Totally different and perfect (if I may say so). I too have been through those you mentioned and Audiophilleo but Dante connectivity by Audinate is so benign, it just does not do anything with the signal, signal remains pristine clean.

Aug 22, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #4,300 of 5,977
Clone, all the way. This clone V281 thing keeps popping up from time to time in this string.

There is no free lunch. No copy can do what a V281 does. If you aspire to own a V281, save your $$ and buy one. Don't mess w/clones.

Nice, thanks.

Sep 14, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #4,301 of 5,977
Has anyone run into an issue where their V281 switches inputs on its own volition? I don't have any IR-enabled equipment near by and the batteries are not in the remote control. It does this maybe a couple of times a month. I'll just notice my music isn't playing on my headphones, look over, and notice it's not on the right input.

Sep 14, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #4,302 of 5,977
Has anyone run into an issue where their V281 switches inputs on its own volition? I don't have any IR-enabled equipment near by and the batteries are not in the remote control. It does this maybe a couple of times a month. I'll just notice my music isn't playing on my headphones, look over, and notice it's not on the right input.

I've never had that happen...have you tried a factory reset? (Factory reset: press the “XLR” button when turning on the V281)

Sep 16, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #4,303 of 5,977
I've never had that happen...have you tried a factory reset? (Factory reset: press the “XLR” button when turning on the V281)

what's the purpose of a factory reset? does it simply revert the unit to factory settings (hard to imagine, since some of those settings are via physical dipswitches)? or is there some kind of operating system software involved?

Sep 16, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #4,304 of 5,977
It resets all software based settings like pre/post fader to the default setting.

Sep 17, 2019 at 3:14 AM Post #4,305 of 5,977

To exclude any other IR source interferences, you could tape the small round window in front of the IR sensor (with a non transparent tape of course) and the see if it happens again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back