Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Jan 29, 2018 at 7:35 PM Post #3,466 of 5,964
Yea. The problem was most of those features aren't very useful.

The Bass boost after maybe the first setting makes bass turn into mud for 90% of the songs I tried. The 3D knob did something but nothing I'd call "useful" or otherwise want to pay money for over other things. SS and Tube options were fine but didn't really stand out. Power was sufficient to be sure, however.

All I can really say is that you aren't missing anything. I picked up the iCan with the hope that maybe I could send the V281 back (it was unacceptably late to ship). I very quickly realized that wasn't how things were going to go.

pretty much my impression the last time I audition these, went out the shop with v281 and not regretting it.

Jan 30, 2018 at 5:03 AM Post #3,467 of 5,964
For my V281, I have the USB XMOS DAC / interface. A good piece of DAC and I have no complains but am wondering...

For DAC, what would one consider an "upgrade" or good pairing for the V281?
For someone who prefers fuss free listening source (e.g. streaming / offline download on Spotify / Tidal - setting on best available file quality), how much improvement can one expect to hear say from the scale of 1 to 10 (10 being "Wow! This is truly night and day!)?

Based on memory, the last I switch from iDSD (BL) to the V281 USB XMOS DAC, I don't recall being able to tell much difference if at all.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2018 at 5:25 AM Post #3,468 of 5,964
For my V281, I have the USB XMOS DAC / interface. A good piece of DAC and I have no complains but am wondering...

For DAC, what would one consider an "upgrade" or good pairing for the V281?
For someone who prefers fuss free listening source (e.g. streaming / offline download on Spotify / Tidal - setting on best available file quality), how much improvement can one expect to hear say from the scale of 1 to 10 (10 being "Wow! This is truly night and day!)?

Based on memory, the last I switch from iDSD (BL) to the V281 USB XMOS DAC, I don't recall being able to tell much difference if at all.
I have a Schiit Gungnir Multibit to compare to the XMOS DAC module. The Gungnir does sound different, most would say better but I do find the XMOS DAC very musical if slightly laid back in presentation. Depends on your taste and it is definitely not a huge difference. When I listen to the Utopia, I can appreciate the difference more so than my other headphones. One thing that really awakes the XMOS DAC module is using a USB reclocker/buffer such as Wyred4Sound recovery module, iFi or similar. Then the difference is really marginal and comes down to the fundamental difference of R/2R vs Delta-Sigma topology of these two DACs. One thing for sure, the XMOS DAC module is a great bang for the buck.

Jan 30, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #3,469 of 5,964
The Gungnir does sound different, most would say better

Thanks for sharing. Can't say I have experience with R2R topology DACs. If we have to quantify your impression on Gumby, how much difference would you rate from a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being "Wow! This is truly night and day!)?

Thought I sit down and do another quick listen on the V281 with HD800S, switching between V281 USB XMOS DAC and iDSD(BL).

Switching via V281 front panel button (i.e. RCA for iDSD(BL) or DIG for USB XMOS DAC). Volume pot unchanged. Listening on Spotify (best available quality setting) with EQualify installed (to 'route' / 'select' preferred audio device) on PC.

The iDSD(BL) (via RCA out and on "Direct" mode) have an added component of iFi iUSB3.0 in between (i.e. PC > iUSB3.0 > iDSD(BL) > V281 > HD800S) whereas the V281 / USB XMOS DAC is on its own (i.e. PC > V281 USB XMOS > HD800S).

I can't say I can hear much difference, if at all. I was expecting the iDSD(BL) setup with an 'advantage' or additional component of iUSB3.0 in its chain might yield a more discernible difference (i.e. I wasn't listening for 'better' or 'worse' sound, just anything different that is worthy of a note and I can't say I've spotted anything distinctive).

Jan 30, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #3,470 of 5,964
Thanks for sharing. Can't say I have experience with R2R topology DACs. If we have to quantify your impression on Gumby, how much difference would you rate from a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being "Wow! This is truly night and day!)?

Thought I sit down and do another quick listen on the V281 with HD800S, switching between V281 USB XMOS DAC and iDSD(BL).

Switching via V281 front panel button (i.e. RCA for iDSD(BL) or DIG for USB XMOS DAC). Volume pot unchanged. Listening on Spotify (best available quality setting) with EQualify installed (to 'route' / 'select' preferred audio device) on PC.

The iDSD(BL) (via RCA out and on "Direct" mode) have an added component of iFi iUSB3.0 in between (i.e. PC > iUSB3.0 > iDSD(BL) > V281 > HD800S) whereas the V281 / USB XMOS DAC is on its own (i.e. PC > V281 USB XMOS > HD800S).

I can't say I can hear much difference, if at all. I was expecting the iDSD(BL) setup with an 'advantage' or additional component of iUSB3.0 in its chain might yield a more discernible difference (i.e. I wasn't listening for 'better' or 'worse' sound, just anything different that is worthy of a note and I can't say I've spotted anything distinctive).
It would be hard to quantify on a scale from 1-10 as it really depends on the recording quality. With high resolution, well recorder material, Gumby stands out with resolution and dynamics that I would say are a 4-5 on a scale from 1-10 over XMOS DAC module. If the recording is dynamic range compressed or loudness mastered, I prefer the XMOS DAC module because it is a bit more forgiving and laid back where the extra resolution and dynamics are working against the enjoyment of that particular recording. What I would suggest is that you try the iFi iUSB3.0 on the XMOS!
That will really wake things up and then the added expense of Gumby over the XMOS becomes questionable when the recording quality is good. I use Roon by the way and Tidal HiFi for best results.

Jan 30, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #3,471 of 5,964
I have the HE1000 and also HD800S playing out of the V281. They are fed from AK1000 via Chord TT.
I find that the HE1000 sound a lot better/brighter with the gain dip switches set to +5 or even +10. The HD800S is fine at neutral.
With these settings I prefer the HE1000 for say the Goebbels Brandenburgs, which I also have.

I tried the both of the higher gain settings with the V281 and HE1000. Agree I got a brighter sound. For me personally though the HD800 is still winning out in overall presentation, when comparing the higher gain settings for the HE1000 to 0 gain with the HD800. I plugged the BH1 back up and am rediscovering how excellent the HE1000 is with that, so much so I'm keeping the BHA1. For me that amp has huge synergy with the HE1000.

Feb 3, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #3,472 of 5,964
I tried the both of the higher gain settings with the V281 and HE1000. Agree I got a brighter sound.
Just checked two extreme settings: -14 dB and +12 dB. It seems like they sound the same.
The only thing which is different is the noise, which may be heard with more sensitive headphones (Shure SRH940 for example) @ +12 dB.
The difference in your case may be caused by some kind of overloading/clipping due to high input level with the higher gain, or by the loudness mismatch.
I used 15 dBu inputs for -14 dB pre-gain, and lowered the input level for +12 dB pre-gain to achieve the same loudness. In this case I can not find any difference in sound.
Moreover, there should be no headphone-dependent difference, because the pre-gain affects the input signal of the power amp section.

Feb 3, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #3,473 of 5,964
Hey guys.

Those switches inside the V281. Do they just effect the pre-amp operation? The outputs?

I use the V281 as a pre-amp to my tube amp and I needed more volume. Tube amp and V281 was near full volume.
I had the inside switches to maximum lowest setting. Switched them to normal again and the pre-amp side is working a lot
better. Two thirds volume on tube amp and only half volume on V281. Excellent stuff.

Now however I'm curious how those switches the HP output of the V281. Does it effect?

Sorry about the terminology I use. I'm not actually the most technically minded.
Lol. I still don't know what sensitivity or impedance is. I just like using stuff and I know if I like the sound.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #3,474 of 5,964
Hey guys.

Those switches inside the V281. Do they just effect the pre-amp operation? The outputs?

I use the V281 as a pre-amp to my tube amp and I needed more volume. Tube amp and V281 was near full volume.
I had the inside switches to maximum lowest setting. Switched them to normal again and the pre-amp side is working a lot
better. Two thirds volume on tube amp and only half volume on V281. Excellent stuff.

Now however I'm curious how those switches the HP output of the V281. Does it effect?

Sorry about the terminology I use. I'm not actually the most technically minded.
Lol. I still don't know what sensitivity or impedance is. I just like using stuff and I know if I like the sound.

The 2 banks of switches (1 bank/channel) on the back of the V281 are strictly dedicated to headphone gain. Settings on these switches shouldn't affect the gain of the V281 when used as a preamp.

However, if you open the case, you'll find 2 more gain banks (1 bank/channel) decicated to adjusting the line-out gain.

This highly flexible arrangement lets the user (for example) have high gain for headphones (if only low efficiency headphones are used), while simultaneously having lower gain for downstream amp/speakers...or any other combination of headphone-gain & line-out-gain the user needs.

In my case, unity gain setting produced way too much gain both for my powered monitors & most headphones. I now have each pair of switch banks (internal & external) set to -12 dB, which happens to work best for each application. However, in the next week I'll be replacing my powered monitors with a big amp + passive speakers. When I do, I may find more gain is required--it's all about the input sensitivity of this amp, and the only way to find out is to hook it all up and go.

I have 3 headphone amps that double as preamps. But the V281 is the only one that allows separate gain settings for headphones & line-out.

Feb 4, 2018 at 12:34 AM Post #3,475 of 5,964
The 2 banks of switches (1 bank/channel) on the back of the V281 are strictly dedicated to headphone gain. Settings on these switches shouldn't affect the gain of the V281 when used as a preamp.

However, if you open the case, you'll find 2 more gain banks (1 bank/channel) decicated to adjusting the line-out gain.

This highly flexible arrangement lets the user (for example) have high gain for headphones (if only low efficiency headphones are used), while simultaneously having lower gain for downstream amp/speakers...or any other combination of headphone-gain & line-out-gain the user needs.

In my case, unity gain setting produced way too much gain both for my powered monitors & most headphones. I now have each pair of switch banks (internal & external) set to -12 dB, which happens to work best for each application. However, in the next week I'll be replacing my powered monitors with a big amp + passive speakers. When I do, I may find more gain is required--it's all about the input sensitivity of this amp, and the only way to find out is to hook it all up and go.

I have 3 headphone amps that double as preamps. But the V281 is the only one that allows separate gain settings for headphones & line-out.

Excellent. Exactly what I thought.

Yes. I was playing with the internal switches.

So now I have the internal switches set to normal to give me volume on the pre-amp.

External on maximum DB decrease to control the HP volume.

The best of both worlds. Clever flexible design.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #3,476 of 5,964
Violectric V281.jpg

If anyone is interested in like new, loaded V281 with remote volume relay and XMOS DAC module, PM me. My work schedule is busy and I am spending most of my free time listening to my speaker system and the headphones are not seeing much play time. Black/Black feet with remote. Like new.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #3,479 of 5,964
I have my V281 listed for sale but in the interim of also selling my main "speaker" system DAC, I am using the V281 with the built in XMOS DAC to drive my PrimaLuna Dialogue HP EL34 tube amp and Harbeth speakers. Really musical and great sounding DAC module in the V281. Makes me wonder why I want to sell it and not keep using it as my main system DAC! LOL

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back