Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Sep 8, 2017 at 4:17 AM Post #3,061 of 5,977
Hmm. I don't like writing stuff that people perceive that way. I tried to explain my feeling of the V281's "weak spot" being that some might find it too clean, to neutral etc. Like when a place can be too clean and tidy to feel cozy, music without flaws can feel soulless.. I have even heard people being described as "too beautiful" to be really attractive.. Did that make more sense to you?
Makes sense. Rly liked your reviews, always like when people compare amp against other amp. Easier to understand how particular amp can sound when comparisons are in the mix.

Sep 8, 2017 at 5:50 AM Post #3,062 of 5,977
I understand Ardillas point very well. I think this is a German thing. Absolute control, clean, ultra detailed, revealing, like a romantic winter night on the Bodensee where you freeze to death smiling, while admiring the fantastically aligned crystalline structure of the ice and the geometric wonders of it under a beautifully clear sky full of stars.

And I like it that way. transparency, separation, clarity, the clean, tight, well-controlled sound with a very well-defined soundstage and the ability to slam, kick and punch until the end of days. Romantik ist tot.

Sep 8, 2017 at 5:57 AM Post #3,063 of 5,977
Makes sense. Rly liked your reviews, always like when people compare amp against other amp. Easier to understand how particular amp can sound when comparisons are in the mix.

Thnks - yes - since all is relative I need something to relate to. I I tend to find my audiophile memory heavily biased - side by side comparisons ftw.. :)

I understand Ardillas point very well. I think this is a German thing. Absolute control, clean, ultra detailed, revealing, like a romantic winter night on the Bodensee where you freeze to death smiling, while admiring the fantastically aligned crystalline structure of the ice and the geometric wonders of it under a beautifully clear sky full of stars.

And I like it that way. transparency, separation, clarity, the clean, tight, well-controlled sound with a very well-defined soundstage and the ability to slam, kick and punch until the end of days. Romantik ist tot.

Yup, you got it. Thanks for a very nicely formulated elaborate metaphor :)

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #3,064 of 5,977
Thank you very much for this and your other reviews, ardilla. I'm very happy to see the v281 as the top solid state amp on your list and second place over all :D. I get the curious impression that although the v281 is near-perfect in its clarity, tone, and soundstage (with some highlights where it can clearly be a bit better, e.g. perhaps a bit less polite in the midrange), it is indeed possible to be better than perfect with the introduction of the fun factor found in some other (tube) amps. But by no means is the v281 a boring or thin amp, its just very good at presenting the music "as-is" without any noticeable flaws or Achilles heels. I feel that the Violectric brand is highly underrated in the audiophile community at large, especially with my own listening to the v281 / v850 and impressions of others. Its like a niche audiophile product with world-class sound. I feel that I've made one of the best possible choices to go with Violectric as my end-game setup, and I'm very glad to have stumbled upon Violectric.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #3,065 of 5,977
well, Violectric will go higher than the V281 with their portfolio so ardilla's EAR4 will get a massively sexy challenger.

Sep 8, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #3,067 of 5,977
well, apart from the internal changes I'm mostly curious about the new design :]

Sep 8, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #3,068 of 5,977
Ooh but the current design is already so sexy :heart:. I hope the new design meshes with the v850, if not then I'll just have to spend $$$$ on what's beyond the v850 :D.

Edit: pic

PRO1892.jpg

The meter in the background is an American Recorder Technologies SPL-8810

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #3,069 of 5,977
Hmm. I don't like writing stuff that people perceive that way. I tried to explain my feeling of the V281's "weak spot" being that some might find it too clean, to neutral etc. Like when a place can be too clean and tidy to feel cozy, music without flaws can feel soulless.. I have even heard people being described as "too beautiful" to be really attractive.. Did that make more sense to you?

That makes sense.

Actually this description is really on point. The very reason I bought my V281 and V850. People like a bit of fun in their listening but I was looking for something that was spot on music in music out and this stack gave that to me.

I am sorry if I came off rude with the previous statement I did enjoy the review a lot. I appreciated the comparison sections and music list and even went and listened to the songs you listed. Keep up the good work!

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #3,070 of 5,977
That makes sense.

Actually this description is really on point. The very reason I bought my V281 and V850. People like a bit of fun in their listening but I was looking for something that was spot on music in music out and this stack gave that to me.

I am sorry if I came off rude with the previous statement I did enjoy the review a lot. I appreciated the comparison sections and music list and even went and listened to the songs you listed. Keep up the good work!

No offense taken, you pointed out something that I had not communicated good enough, and I am glad you did! But I must admit that your latest post was a lot more encouraging than the first one :slight_smile: Thanks for the kind words - And I hope you liked some of the music! Good test music is hard to find, it shall not only work as a tool to identify differences, but also be a nice listen - again and again..:smirk:

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #3,071 of 5,977
DAT RS 05 out on the USA Violectric website now! Just ordered mine :ksc75smile:.

http://violectric-usa.com/digital-audio-converters/DAT_RS_05

Edit: For some reason the product listing says ADC RS 05 (analog to digital converter?) instead of DAT RS 05 (Digital Audio Tool), but by the description page it is indeed the DAT RS 05.

Edit: Its fixed now :p .

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2017 at 8:11 AM Post #3,075 of 5,977
Interesting.

Curious to see how the RS 05 fares against my 2nd hand USB Meister Proper Setup consisting of Schiit WYRD, DU-U8 Level 3 from an USB PCIe Card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back