Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Sep 6, 2017 at 2:49 AM Post #3,047 of 5,977
Sep 6, 2017 at 3:52 AM Post #3,048 of 5,977
Basically it gives you the cleanest, purest, lowest jittery digital signal while also doing important electrical stuff like isolation of the USB etc, thus letting your DAC shine like never before .... What it really does in proper terms is a bit hard to explain for me.
You think these things don't work? Well, they do for me and I'm using a cheap DU-U8 whose performance has also been covered in measurements by the great Bob.

Sep 6, 2017 at 5:50 AM Post #3,049 of 5,977
Actually, V800 has its own reconstruction circuitry which is activated when the resampling is turned on.
In this case everything depends on the quality of the internal clock generation.

For example, I can feed the signal from MacBook Pro or RS 05 in this mode, and there will be no any audible difference.

But when the resampling is turned off in the DAC, it follows the external clock.
In that case, for example, when I feed the signal from MacBook Pro, the sound becomes thin.

But RS 05 has much better clocks, according to what I hear.

Sep 6, 2017 at 5:51 AM Post #3,050 of 5,977
DAT (Digital Audio Tool) RS 05 is a unit which is available since middle of 2017.
Basically DAT RS 05 is a sample rate converter with an excellent internal clock base (some pico-seconds phase jitter) or an outstanding internal clock base (some femto-seconds jitter) as an option.
Jitter reduction or jitter elimination is the key to perfect digital to analogue conversion.
And we believe that this can only be done by a sample rate converter, not by asynchronous USB or other more or less “magic” measures.
A sample rate converter will extract the digital audio data from a data stream and recombine it using its own clock source. Afterwards a remaining jitter is only caused by the accuracy of the internal clock.
Assuming a perfect digital source, perfect cables and other perfect circumstances it may be that a sample rate conversion can negatively affect the digital audio data – but in 99,9 % of all cases the internal clock source - notably when it is the optional femto clock of DAT RS 05 - the results will be (much) better.
DAT RS 05 offers 3 digital inputs, balanced via XLR, unbalanced via RCA and optical TOS link.
Further you can chose 1 out of 3 optional USB inputs.
The range of digital outputs is the same as above.
The input sample rate is displayed by LEDs, the output sample rate can be chosen between 44.1 and 192 kHz and is also displayed by LEDs.
Sending the digital audio data through DAT RS 05 will unjitter, resample, reclock it and expand it to 24 Bit length.
Further DAT RS05 can be used to digitally attenuate the digital audio data which can be useful when you want to drive active speakers with digital inputs.
DAT RS 05 also offers a Wordclock (WCLK) in- or output.
When the internal clock source is active, the BNC socket serves as a WCLK source to feed other digital devices.
Doing so, DAT RS 05 can act as a (nearly) perfect house clock !
The BNC socket can also be arranged as an input when “WCLK” is selected as the clock source.
Another option is the remote control of the volume attenuator (motor driven), the input selection and the clock selection.
Drop me an email when you are interested in the manual !

Cheers, Fried Reim

Sep 6, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #3,051 of 5,977
Seems like the RS 05 would be an awesome addendum to my v850 / v281 stack (very beautiful stack btw zhgutov :) ). Can't wait to buy the RS 05 probably around thanksgiving or Christmas. The thing is, I can't find it on the USA Violectric website. Will it ever be available here? I tried adding it to cart on the lake people website but couldn't get the cart / website to work, plus I'm not sure how to add the femto clock option because I didn't see a menu for that (simply an add to cart button, which didn't work for me).

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #3,052 of 5,977
or get a better DAC. Wish I had a V850 to compare to my Chord 2Qute. Quickly compared the 2Qute to the XMOS 24/192 card and it only took one swap for me to sell the DAC card. I'm waiting for a something comparable to a Chord Dave with balanced outputs at the old retail price of the 2Qute, $1795. Might be a while right. :) My microRendu with external PSU seems to have taken care of any of my jitter/EMI/RFI problems.

Sep 6, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #3,053 of 5,977
The thing is, I can't find it on the USA Violectric website. Will it ever be available here? I tried adding it to cart on the lake people website but couldn't get the cart / website to work, plus I'm not sure how to add the femto clock option because I didn't see a menu for that (simply an add to cart button, which didn't work for me).

I think you can write an e-mail @ synthax.de
They are official distributors of Lake People / Violectric gear.

Or write an e-mail @ lake-people.de
They will forward your request to synthax.de

At least that's how I get this unit in Russia.

Quickly compared the 2Qute to the XMOS 24/192 card and it only took one swap for me to sell the DAC card.

Do you mean DAC option for V281? These cards are not as good as standalone DACs like V800.

Sep 6, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #3,055 of 5,977
I think you can write an e-mail @ synthax.de
They are official distributors of Lake People / Violectric gear.

Or write an e-mail @ lake-people.de
They will forward your request to synthax.de

At least that's how I get this unit in Russia.

Do you mean DAC option for V281? These cards are not as good as standalone DACs like V800.

Yes, one of the DAC options for the V281. I know these cards also act as power vampires and having separate toroidal power supplies must be the better option. I was thinking of getting a V800/V850 but I've been doing a lot of DSD and vinyl ripping. Don't think Violectic has added that option and my low power CAPs server/microRendu doesn't really have enough horsepower to do the conversion.

Sep 6, 2017 at 11:04 PM Post #3,056 of 5,977
or get a better DAC. Wish I had a V850 to compare to my Chord 2Qute. Quickly compared the 2Qute to the XMOS 24/192 card and it only took one swap for me to sell the DAC card. I'm waiting for a something comparable to a Chord Dave with balanced outputs at the old retail price of the 2Qute, $1795. Might be a while right. :) My microRendu with external PSU seems to have taken care of any of my jitter/EMI/RFI problems.

I really am less familiar with how well the v850 stacks with the competition. Some love the v850; some say cheaper options sound just as good and similarly priced options sound better. Personally, my current Violectric combo beats to hell and back my Fiio Olympus 2 (I can really hear a difference in the sound) and there are otherwise no real problems with the sound (maybe a touch more attack would be more pleasing). I suppose I could opt for a yggdrasil but I don't know if it would be an upgrade, and I would rather wait until they can get at least 24 bits r2r. There's also the Hugo 2 with its extremely impressive impulse response graph, but I think its NOS and it shows on the Hugo 1 with the aliasing graph. So, my best bet now is to stick with what I got and take advantage of the DAT RS 05 femto clock as a virtual upgrade to the v850.

I knew I forgot to do something, add these new products to our USA site! Thank you for the reminder. They shall be available for ordering this week. :)

Awesome! I'll try to get the new unit as soon as I can!

Edit: its my choice of headphones that leave me desiring more attack. T90 SE >> HD 600 SE/Balanced in this regard.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #3,057 of 5,977
I suppose I could opt for a yggdrasil but I don't know if it would be an upgrade, and I would rather wait until they can get at least 24 bits r2r. There's also the Hugo 2 with its extremely impressive impulse response graph, but I think its NOS and it shows on the Hugo 1 with the aliasing graph.

Actually I think the digital filters affect the sound less than better clock source (like RS 05 over V800).
I can tell that for sure because I have TEAC UD-501 near V800 and can choose different filters, or disable them at all.
And I experimented with the different custom filters (yes, I am software developer) with oversampling.
This filters (if implemented correctly) change the sound "flavor" for 44-48 kHz sources.
Moreover, for such sources you will probably have downsampled data with low-pass filter, which has the impulse response like in attached image.
With the source at the higher sampling rates it does not matter which filter is used, IMO.
I think, the most valuable difference lives in other areas.

But I think someone may disagree with me. This seems to be some kind of holy war theme :)

Violectric_V800_Left_-_-_-_-_-_1ms_-_imp_wave.png

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2017 at 4:12 AM Post #3,060 of 5,977
Interesting review... This quote seems forced and out of place though.

The Violectric V281 is that type of amplifier that makes you feel that the only thing you can hold against it is that it is “too good”

Hmm. I don't like writing stuff that people perceive that way. I tried to explain my feeling of the V281's "weak spot" being that some might find it too clean, to neutral etc. Like when a place can be too clean and tidy to feel cozy, music without flaws can feel soulless.. I have even heard people being described as "too beautiful" to be really attractive.. Did that make more sense to you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back