Violectric DAC V850 - General Discussion and Impressions Thread
Mar 30, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #286 of 588
Some additional comments from Vio camp

We made such DACs like Yggdrasil and Gungnir in the early 90ties of the past century: DAC F20 and DAC F28 with multibit or ladder-DACs
… and believe me, we and many others had good reasons to release oversampling DACs, the first was DAC F46 nearly 20 years ago .
You can still buy such makes as “new old stock”. The better ones with chips inside called PCM 63 and PCM 1702 the cheap ones with TDA 1541.
And you will always find people who love the sound, most of them after investing large amounts of money.

In the good old days, when comparisons has been made, those ladder DACs had been quoted to sound “digitally” and since then the majority of manufacturers are using oversampling DACs when these became available.
Those today ladder DACs are normally made for measuring equipment.
You will always find somebody thinking the good old times had been the better times …
But things are evolving all the time, therefore serious manufacturers use oversampling DACs.
Yes, they are really great story tellers those Schiit guys …

I do not personally endorse above view- because other than Chord and some FPGA makers most high end DACs makers (at least expensive) still do make ladder DACs and many people do buy and like them. I do not know if this is hype or real

Mar 30, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #287 of 588
I think each kind of DAC may be almost perfectly simulated by each other.
To do so you can make software oversampling with no filtering and then apply (or not) the corresponding filter.
I made such experiment with V800 to "convert" them to ladder DAC, and to use the different filter with them.
In the case of "no filter" the sound "flavour" becomes very similar to the Myst 1866 DAC, which I have heard.
It seems to be more detailed, but lacks the body in higher frequencies.
And this difference corresponds to the difference in TEAC UD-501, which has option to bypass digital filter, use sharp or slow variation.
Personally, I prefer the sharp filter like in V800. I think it's a matter of taste.
V800 have some kind of magic to me. It does not harm the "feeling" of the music.
For me this is the key feature of the Violectric gear.

Mar 31, 2017 at 1:47 AM Post #288 of 588
Someone choosing the Gungnir over 850 is kindaunderstandable. I haven't auditioned the V850 properly and only the V800 but the Gungnir is really damn good.

The Valhalla 2 choice is really strange to me however. I owned that amp for a year and while it has some good traits like offering good hints of detail, sharpness in imaging it's far below the 281. It lacks serious traits like punch, slam, weightyness, depth. With a headphone like the HD800 that's not a good match but better than options below it

Apr 5, 2017 at 6:38 AM Post #289 of 588
Hello all, small off-topic:

Since April,1 Lake People does not send devices from LP/Vio site: synthax-de now. But this shop sends only to the European Union. I registered on synthax and don't find my country. I thought about buying in the summer. For USA is Violectric-USA site. You can not buy Vio/LP devices for example to Russia or China :frowning2:

Jun 11, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #291 of 588
Hello everyone
I have a V850 for sale in as new condition. Comes with all what was included in the box and the packaging. Purchased Mid Nov 2016 from Addicted to Audio so 4+ year warranty remaining. Posting anywhere and great price. Selling because I am not in to this hobby with other priorities

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/violectric-audio-dac-v850.852341/

Jul 15, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #295 of 588
Could you please elaborate on why?
Very different tech, and for my taste Yggdrasil has better resolution, dinamics, much better soundstage and plankton. This is very noticeable with red book . With higher resolution, /192/ v850 become a near competitor, but ygg still better IMHO.
Only DAVE and Metrum pavane 3 touch ygg, again, in my opinion. Good vibes from the "land of the light"

Sep 19, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #296 of 588
_PRO1899.jpg

Greetings all! Here are my impressions for the Lake People Digital Audio Tool RS 05 with the Femto Clock option, which is in essence a digital signal "de-crapifier," passing through a digital signal and reducing (or as LP says, eliminating) jitter and electrical noise for a DAC to interpret. I didn't think a mere 10+fold increase in clock accuracy over the already accurate (<1ps) v850 clock would make much, if any difference, but I must say that even in the brief time I've had the RS 05, I've noticed a quite substantial difference. I'm actually noticing more enjoyment with music; the RS 05 with the Femto Clock has been worth every penny.

I haven't A/B tested with the v850 alone, but I've gotten used to the sound over time and am comparing that to what I hear now. I am actually quite surprised with the difference I heard. Before, my setup seemed to make especially the HD 600's sound quite dark with all the music I listened to, single-ended or balanced. Now, the HD 600's sound a lot more open and clear (other headphones too) and can be dark or completely transparent, depending on the music, instead of always sounding dark to the point of being muffled. Soundstage with the Beyerdynamic T90's is improved, too, especially instrument separation seems substantially improved, with more air and space and clarity about them. Soundstage is wider and deeper with more focused imaging and improved layering, too. I haven't tried the HE 1000's yet for the soundstage but I think the difference is noticeable enough with the T90's.

Edit: I can say with this new setup on the HD 600's, I'm experiencing audio nirvana :). Getting more tingles down my spine than I did before with ASMR lol.

Edit 2: I never thought I could be so impressed. Before sound was just hearing music. Now, the sound is so real and life-like, unlike anything I've heard before. Its like I'm really there in the recording studio or concert hall when listening to this setup. I'm even noticing a sound space with instruments inside of it with even the HD 600's.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #297 of 588
Beautiful stack and thanks for the impressions. Do you use the USB input of the RS 05?

Sep 21, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #298 of 588
Thanks, Fegefeuer :). Unfortunately, not at this time. I'm using the upgraded XMOS option, and using bit-perfect ASIO playback out of foobar, any sample rate a multiple of 44.1kHz (almost all music is 44.1kHz) on USB causes my RS 05 to throw an error. Arthur and I are working together on a solution for the problem I'm having with the USB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back