Violectric DAC V850 - General Discussion and Impressions Thread
Dec 5, 2016 at 5:20 AM Post #271 of 588
  Does anyone feed their v850 with a hi-res DAP using a coaxial cable?  Any observations or feedback on how that works for you?

I don't have V850, but I have V800. Both coaxial and optical connections work excellent.
The sound seems the same, especially if you use the resampling feature, which removes jitter.
In this case, IMHO, there is no difference even if you feed the signal from very bad sources like MacBook Pro.

Dec 6, 2016 at 1:46 AM Post #272 of 588
win 7 and win 10
It happens very frequently though. Almost once in every two reboots. 

I have the V850 DAC and running Windows 10 (with latest updates). I've never once had this problem.

I installed the USB drivers for the V850 found on Violectric's site; Violectric 24/192 Microsoft XMOS .A small application is added to windows on startup, the pink little Violectric icon found in the task bar. If you let windows startup fullly before you switch the DAC on, does it help?

Dec 6, 2016 at 11:45 PM Post #273 of 588
Never had any USB problems with V850 running Windows 10. I have few more laptops/tables so I would give feedback if I get in to problems

I was using Chord Mojo line-out as the DAC and V850 replaced it in my desktop rig (Luxman P-200 and V281).

I can say that I like V850 as a dac than Mojo as a dac. More details and bigger sound stage. I am yet to connect V850 via balanced cables and I will do this next 2 weeks

Fried Reim kindly clarified that V850/V281 required 50-100 hr burn in period for ideal results and about 15-30 minutes run time to get the best sound

Only complain that I have is compared to Mojo in line-out mode (that is power on when pressing vol up and down) has more power than V850 in full voiume. Not sure why

I will provide my feedback once I get the balances cables including for HD800 which is my go to headphone. I still think with AKG K812 Chord Mojo direct would be difficult to be beaten by Luxman or Violectric gear

Dec 7, 2016 at 6:09 AM Post #274 of 588
  Only complain that I have is compared to Mojo in line-out mode (that is power on when pressing vol up and down) has more power than V850 in full voiume. Not sure why

V850 maximum output level is set by default to 15 dBu for balanced connections and 6 dBu for unbalanced (RCA).
This level may be changed via DIP switches inside the DAC. Manual can help you.

As I know, outputs of the Chord Mojo are somewhere near 4.5 Vrms, which is about 15 dBu.
The maximum output level for V850 which may be set via DIP switches is 24 dBu balanced, and 15 dBu unbalanced.

Dec 9, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #275 of 588
Thanks Mate for this info. I have ordered balanced cable and can post my view once I connect V850 to V281 via balanced

Thanks

Dec 9, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #276 of 588
Balanced cables for V850

From Fried Reim CEO Vio
"Balanced cables will always improve things because they are balanced and this is the best what can happen to a signal outside the bow.
Maybe there are no sonic improvements but there are improvements on the electrical side and the connector side.

The beginning and the end of a cable is the connector. The cable itself is not so important concerning short cable run.
So, be sure to not only get  " solid, reliable connectors " like the Schiit connectors but Neutrik xx Series !

And keep in mind that 6 inch is too short !!. It should be at least 30 cm / 12 inch !"

Fried confirm that
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1M-SWAMP-Pro-Line-Balanced-XLR-Studio-Mic-Cable-Neutrik-XX-B-Gold-Pins-/131901186461?hash=item1eb5ec619d:g:nQMAAOSw2xRYRbDx

as "That seems to be a reasonable cable with the best connectors for a very good price !!"

and I ordered it for my V2850/V281. Hope this info will help someone

Dec 29, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #278 of 588
Hello there!

I saw that violectric amps 281 and 280 can be equipped with optional dac.
Are the dacs into v285?
What differences should I expect?
do you mean V850 the standalone dac?

Dec 29, 2016 at 9:45 PM Post #280 of 588
  sorry...

I meant 280 v2 DAC!

There is no "280 v2 DAC".  If you can be more precise, we can answer you better.

Here's a summary of Violectric's four DACs.  I own the built-in DAC, V800, and RS 06 (but not the V850).  I can hear the difference between the built-in DAC and the V800, but I can't describe it.  I prefer the V800.  I have not A/B'd the V800 and RS 06.  Auditioned separately, they sound the same to me.  The volume control on the V800 works great when connected directly to an amp (no preamp).

Built-in DAC:
* One D/A converter chip
* Older converter chip and design
* One input
* Must fit on add-on card
* Must sound good, but critical users are likely to purchase an external DAC.

V800:
* One D/A converter chip
* Four inputs
* No-excuses design
* Linear power supply
* Violectric case and face plate
* 24-bit digital volume control

Lake People DAC RS 06:
* Two D/A converter chips
* Newer converter chips and design
* Four inputs
* No-excuses design
* Switching power supply
* Lake People case and face plate

V850:
* Four inputs
* No-excuses design
* Linear power supply
* 32-bit digital volume control with remote option

Here are the standard combinations:

With V800 or V850:
  * V100
  * V200 for more power
  * V220 for preamp
  * V280 for balanced
  * V281 for balanced and preamp

With RS 06:
  * RS02
  * RS08 for balanced
  * G109P for XLR inputs

Dec 29, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #281 of 588
There is no "280 v2 DAC".  If you can be more precise, we can answer you better.

Here's a summary of Violectric's four DACs.  I own the built-in DAC, V800, and RS 06 (but not the V850).  I can hear the difference between the built-in DAC and the V800, but I can't describe it.  I prefer the V800.  I have not A/B'd the V800 and RS 06.  Auditioned separately, they sound the same to me.  The volume control on the V800 works great when connected directly to an amp (no preamp).

Built-in DAC:
* One D/A converter chip
* One input
* Must fit on add-on card
* Must sound good, but critical users are likely to purchase an external DAC.

V800:
* One D/A converter chip
* Four inputs
* No-excuses design
* Linear power supply
* 24-bit digital volume control

Lake People DAC RS 06:
* Four inputs
* No-excuses design
* Switching power supply
* Lake People case and face plate

V850:
* Four inputs
* No-excuses design
* Linear power supply
* 32-bit digital volume control with remote option

Here are some recommendations -- but I think all these units sound great:

With V850:
  * V200
  * V220 for preamp
  * V280 for balanced
  * V281 for balanced and preamp

With RS 06:
  * RS02
  * RS08 for balanced
  * G109P for XLR inputs

With V800:
  * V100
  * V200 for more power
  * V220 for preamp
  * V280 for balanced

I WANTED TO SAY V800 dac!!!!

Sorry, had to much bier these days

Mar 30, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #285 of 588
I am also interested to get some comparisons as that info is not available. Also any comparison with Yoggy

I was asking few members one  person provided the following response. He had V281+V850 and sold both and went back to his Schiit Gungnir MB and Valhalla 2. He is a HD800 user and for him the expected changes from Vio over Schitt gear did not justify higher cost.

“For me, DACs are all about detail--if you are already losing the detail so early in the chain, no matter how great your headphones and amp are, you are stuck. To that end, the multibit DACs from Schiit are by far more detailed (and yes, I was running the V850 balanced all the way to headphones), I personally haven't heard a DS DAC that is more detailed than the Gungnir Multibit. In terms of coloration, all the Gungnir Multibit will sound more clear/bright/glaring. I don't really remember the coloration of the V850, so I can't comment there. But yeah, regardless of price, Gungnir Multibit was technically better, and it was further annoying that the V850 cost more, so it was an easy decision to get rid of”

I do not agree on the cost as in Australia V850 is $1500 and Schiit GMB $2200. I bought mine for $1380 as A2A discount Vio products time to time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back