Violectric DAC V850 - General Discussion and Impressions Thread
Sep 25, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #316 of 588
Well, I just made some pictures to get an idea of the resampling quality inside DAT RS 05.
This "measurements" are made with the USB loopback (TENOR 8802 PCB).
Analysis is performed for the signal downsampled from 96 to 44.1 kHz.
Here you can see small previews, click to open larger versions.

THD+N (L @ 0 dB FS, R @ -60 dB FS, noise floor is limited by FFT size):

FFT for sweep tone:

Impulse response:

Test signals are taken from http://src.infinitewave.ca/

The same resampling module (SRC4392) is inside RS 06, V800 and V850.

WOW! That THD+N graph is INCREDIBLE! That's like MSB Tech territory ($$$,$$$.$$)! Nice job @ you and fried!

Would these performance levels pass through the V800 / 850 (with resampling off) for amplification as well, instead of being reduced to V800 / V850 levels (@ ~-140db, which is still really good)? Would / does jitter measure similarly? Sorry for all the questions I'm just a little overexcited lol :ksc75smile:.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #317 of 588
WOW! That THD+N graph is INCREDIBLE! That's like MSB Tech territory ($$$,$$$.$$)! Nice job @ you and fried!

Would these performance levels pass through the V800 / 850 (with resampling off) for amplification as well, instead of being reduced to V800 / V850 levels (@ ~-140db, which is still really good)? Would / does jitter measure similarly? Sorry for all the questions I'm just a little overexcited lol :ksc75smile:.

I cannot measure jitter, unfortunately. I don't have the measurement equipment of the corresponding quality.
And when I measure analog outputs of V800 with my E-MU 0404 USB I just get the passport values of E-MU.
This is just digital transformation/resampling quality. It does not show the jitter levels, or analog output quality of the following DAC.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #318 of 588
I cannot measure jitter, unfortunately. I don't have the measurement equipment of the corresponding quality.
And when I measure analog outputs of V800 with my E-MU 0404 USB I just get the passport values of E-MU.
This is just digital transformation/resampling quality. It does not show the jitter levels, or analog output quality of the following DAC.

Considering the jitter measurements of the v800 relative to its THD plot on RAA, would it be safe to say that the jitter for the RS 05 is probably about the same or less than its THD+N? I'm not sure what < 90 x 10^-15 would translate to in -dbfs.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #319 of 588
Considering the jitter measurements of the v800 relative to its THD plot on RAA, would it be safe to say that the jitter for the RS 05 is probably about the same or less than its THD+N?
I don't know exactly. But probably the measurements will have cleaner spectrum.
Such tendency may be seen if you compare the measurements with the same DACs, but with worse jitter measurements.
Actually, I don't think what the harmonics @ -120 dB may be heard. It is very large difference in levels. And THD does not correspond to the jitter level.
I think the most valuable difference is in time domain, which may be seen only as the "traces" on their graphs (around the fundamental tone, for example).

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #320 of 588
Ok thanks :). It appears the v800 stays just shy of -120db THD on the first few harmonics with resampling off, while the v281 gets pretty close to or beyond -120db THD at modest power levels through most impedances, so near perfect there too when it comes to the limits of human hearing. In any case some kind of (greatly) beneficial audible difference is being passed through the entire signal chain from the RS 05, and I'm starting to see more clearly now why thanks to you :). I'm just geeking out about the measurements :ksc75smile:. The RS 05 / v800 (v850) / v281 stack is very impressive both subjectively and objectively :L3000:. Would consider it end-game except for the fact that Fried's working on even bigger game products now :D. I wonder if they'll be featured at RMAF.

Sep 25, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #321 of 588
Ok thanks :). It appears the v800 stays just shy of -120db THD on the first few harmonics with resampling off, while the v281 gets pretty close to or beyond -120db THD at modest power levels through most impedances, so near perfect there too when it comes to the limits of human hearing. In any case some kind of (greatly) beneficial audible difference is being passed through the entire signal chain from the RS 05, and I'm starting to see more clearly now why thanks to you :). I'm just geeking out about the measurements :ksc75smile:. The RS 05 / v800 (v850) / v281 stack is very impressive both subjectively and objectively :L3000:. Would consider it end-game except for the fact that Fried's working on even bigger game products now :D. I wonder if they'll be featured at RMAF.
THD is not -120 dB. Only harmonics are there or lower. THD is TOTAL harmonic distortion.
V281 is measured there with the source signal taken from V800, actually :)

Sep 25, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #322 of 588
Thanks for the pro-tip :), so that's why the Violectric website shows the THD @ < -102 dB. Still much better than most of the competition, but still more potential left for whatever is coming after the v281 :D.

Sep 26, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #324 of 588
of course

Sep 26, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #326 of 588
Do you mean they are working on the "larger" amp?

Hard to believe many people would need an amp more powerful than the V281. Maybe they are looking to change the form factor or aesthetics? People will always buy something new just because it is the latest.

Sep 28, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #327 of 588
I'm guessing it will be in monoblock form, unless they are planning to change to tonality of the V281 to cater to the new headphones popping up.(Which IMO, all sound dark relative to the older flagships)

Sep 28, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #328 of 588
I'm guessing it will be in monoblock form, unless they are planning to change to tonality of the V281 to cater to the new headphones popping up.(Which IMO, all sound dark relative to the older flagships)
There is no problem to use V281 as monoblock already.
Just buy two of them, set TRS outputs to balanced operation, and use one channel from each unit to drive one channel of the headphones.
:L3000:

Dec 1, 2017 at 1:43 AM Post #330 of 588
Quick question, has anyone compared the V850 against the Hugo 2? I'm looking to change DACs and I have tried the Hugo 2 but I'm unable to demo the V850 due to availability reasons. I'm leaning towards the V850 but that's just basing it from my experience with the Lake People RS-06 (which some say sounds close to the V850). I'm planning to pair which ever with my V281 and any feedback would be helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back