Violectric DAC V850 - General Discussion and Impressions Thread
Dec 1, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #332 of 588
Why sell your RS06? It's basically the same unit minus the potentiometer and resampling options.

Had the chance to "upgrade" to a Hugo TT so sold the RS-06 for funds for the TT but didn't find the Hugo TT's sound signature to be that great while after extensive use with the V281 for a couple of months so decided to change it up, and now I am in the search for a new DAC. It's just a case of wanting to switch sound signatures tbh.

Although on the note of just basing the sound on just the differences between the two, have you had the change to A/B both units?

Dec 2, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #334 of 588
Personally no, but according to Fried, the RS06 is just a stripped down V850.

I think just because its a stripped down version of the V850 doesn't mean it would sound the same, it still worth considering getting the V850 if you can. At least that's my opinion, just basing things on the specs would be poorly advised if you haven't given both a try.

Dec 3, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #335 of 588
Quick question, has anyone compared the V850 against the Hugo 2? I'm looking to change DACs and I have tried the Hugo 2 but I'm unable to demo the V850 due to availability reasons. I'm leaning towards the V850 but that's just basing it from my experience with the Lake People RS-06 (which some say sounds close to the V850). I'm planning to pair which ever with my V281 and any feedback would be helpful.
I had tried the V850 with the V281 and the combination works pefectly. Of course all Violectric amplifier are made to have a perfect sinergy with the V850.
I own a V800, and the V850 seems to be slightly better.

Dec 3, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #336 of 588
I had tried the V850 with the V281 and the combination works pefectly. Of course all Violectric amplifier are made to have a perfect sinergy with the V850.
I own a V800, and the V850 seems to be slightly better.

Yeah, I'm thinking about the pairing as well. I'm in the mindset that the V850 would pair better with the V281 than the Hugo 2. Thanks for the insight! :)

Dec 4, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #337 of 588
I think just because its a stripped down version of the V850 doesn't mean it would sound the same, it still worth considering getting the V850 if you can. At least that's my opinion, just basing things on the specs would be poorly advised if you haven't given both a try.

By that reasoning then I think it would be better for you to demo the actual product than to ask for insights. No offense.

Dec 4, 2017 at 8:45 AM Post #338 of 588
By that reasoning then I think it would be better for you to demo the actual product than to ask for insights. No offense.

No offense taken, if I could I would. That's why I'm looking for some insights since I have no way of demoing it where I am.

Dec 4, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #340 of 588
Was there something wrong with RS 06, that you decided to upgrade?

It's been a while but if I remember correctly I had the thought of upgrading when I got to try friend's Hugo and liked how much detailed that had compared to the RS-06, but I did find the sound signature of the RS-06 to be better than the Hugo at the time so I did a coin flip and decided to go with more detail but alas detail retrieval isn't everything and I found the Hugo TT to be too boring for prolonged listening. I would go with the RS-06 again but I got used to having a volume knob with the DAC.

Dec 4, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #342 of 588
Can you describe better what do you mean about the detail retrieval?

You'll have to take this with a grain of salt as I'm just basing this from memory.

But based from my testing before, I found the Hugo(and Hugo TT) to have much better layering with the sound as opposed to the RS06. It was something I noticed immediately when I was doing my initial A/B testing. I simply heard more detail with the recording. However I did find the RS06 to be much more "natural" sounding with a bigger sound stage, its hard to explain why I found the RS06 to be more natural but I guess it sounded more organic than the Hugo.

Dec 4, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #343 of 588
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/vio...pressions-thread.761936/page-20#post-13732478
Have you read this feedback?

I don't have RS 06 or V850 (they are not available in my country for demo). But I have RS 05 (with femto clock option) paired with V800.
And I can agree with that impressions (with the exception of the dark signature).
It is possible what you can get more with RS 05 + RS 06, than with V850 only. And they both have price similar to V850.
RS 05 has better clock inside. This may help because Chord devices are known for their excellent clock too.
This combination probably can get you what you are missing, but with the sound signature of Lake People DAC.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #344 of 588
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/vio...pressions-thread.761936/page-20#post-13732478
Have you read this feedback?

I don't have RS 06 or V850. But I have RS 05 (with femto clock option) paired with V800. And I can agree with that impressions.
It is possible what you can get more with RS 05 + RS 06, than with V850 only. And they both have price similar to V850.
RS 05 has better clock inside. This may help because Chord devices are known for their excellent clock too.
This combination probably can get you what you are missing, but with the sound signature of Lake People DAC.

oh, didn’t consider the RS05 + RS06 combo, will have to check with the local audio store here how much the RS05 might cost. Thanks for the suggestion!

Dec 10, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #345 of 588
You'll have to take this with a grain of salt as I'm just basing this from memory.

But based from my testing before, I found the Hugo(and Hugo TT) to have much better layering with the sound as opposed to the RS06. It was something I noticed immediately when I was doing my initial A/B testing. I simply heard more detail with the recording. However I did find the RS06 to be much more "natural" sounding with a bigger sound stage, its hard to explain why I found the RS06 to be more natural but I guess it sounded more organic than the Hugo.
Thank you for information. What do you think about treble and sound dynamics (attack) of Hugo and RS06? Have you heard any notable differences?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back