Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Jul 15, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #2,911 of 5,977
Agreed, V281 is my go-to with HE1000. I tried HE1000 v2 which also paired well, but in the end I prefer the original. Either way, v281 in balanced mode is killer, better than my other favorite amp which is the Pass HPA-1. The Pass has its moments where it edges out the Violectric, but in this case V281 is the clear winner.

The Utopias I heard were bright and a tad lean imho, so I ultimately preferred something warmer/smoother than the Violectric for those. V281 was fine but after a while it became fatiguing. I actually think I liked the Elear better than Utupia - again, with the specific examples I heard, not saying that carries across all of them.

Jul 15, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #2,912 of 5,977
The V281 in balanced mode is really something special. I've heard it balanced with just 2 headphones (ZMF Ori; ZMF Eikon) and really was wowed.

I've given a lot of though to the "tonality" of the V281. I've now heard it extensively through 2 pairs of powered monitors; and with 4-5 headphones; all on a wide range of material. Here's what I conclude:
  1. The V281 doesn't seem to highlight/spotlight any particular frequencies...there's no overt glare or grain, and the upper midrange and treble are not hyped or fatiguing
  2. The entire bass range is concussive, totaly world-class, the best I've ever heard (quality & quantity)
  3. What the V281 DOES do in a borderline-spectacular manner is dynamics. Maybe it's those black backgrounds, the good S/N ratio, low THD, great power supply (not sure of details)--whatever it comes from, this amp has really extreme "jump factor." Sometimes it actually surprises me & makes me jump (particularly via headphones).
    • It's easy to mistake this for "brightness" (if the notes that jump are upper midrange & treble), but it's really not that at all.
  4. The other obvious trait of this mega-power amp is soundstaging, particularly in balanced mode. It's very wide, with notes anchored in rock-solid fashion in space. Soundstaging is pretty deep compared to many SS amps, though not in the 3D category of tubes.
I like to contrast the V281 to the Lake People G109-A; they share a certain sonic "family resemblance," primarily in the cleanness, black backgrounds, and freedom from glare. But the G109-A is subtly warm (just a few degrees in that direction)--even more telling, it has a somewhat softer (though still impactful) way of delivering notes, up & down the frequency range. It's just a question of degree, but this makes the G109-A a little more relaxing. Then again, the soundstaging of the G109-A is not in the same class as the V281's (it's average at best), and neither is its power.

I've said before that having the V281 in my system is like having Superman on the desktop. At any second it can break away & take off.

BTW, had a chance to hear the balanced outputs of the V281 yesterday. I wired it direct to my powered monitors (ZenPro modded Yamaha HS7's, which mfr recommends receive only balanced inputs). Despite the absence of my sub (no way to connect in that config), the Yamaha's sounded the best this way of any wiring scheme I've heard. The V281 is a sensational preamp, as if all the rest weren't enough.

Jul 15, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #2,913 of 5,977
Agreed, V281 is my go-to with HE1000. I tried HE1000 v2 which also paired well, but in the end I prefer the original. Either way, v281 in balanced mode is killer, better than my other favorite amp which is the Pass HPA-1. The Pass has its moments where it edges out the Violectric, but in this case V281 is the clear winner.

The Utopias I heard were bright and a tad lean imho, so I ultimately preferred something warmer/smoother than the Violectric for those. V281 was fine but after a while it became fatiguing. I actually think I liked the Elear better than Utupia - again, with the specific examples I heard, not saying that carries across all of them.
I've been using the Utopia with the V280 which as I understand, fundamentally shares it's amp section with the V281. I do not find the Utopia to be bright, lean or fatiguing with the V280 > Gumby combo, at least that's my opinion.

Perhaps the DAC was responsible for the lackluster pairing of the Utopia and V281.

Jul 18, 2017 at 3:51 AM Post #2,915 of 5,977

What did you not like about the V2? I searched your web reviews & didn't see any reviews for the V2.
I was thinking of upgrading to the V2 on the 281, but would always love to hear other peoples opnions.

Jul 18, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #2,916 of 5,977
What did you not like about the V2? I searched your web reviews & didn't see any reviews for the V2.
I was thinking of upgrading to the V2 on the 281, but would always love to hear other peoples opnions.

I haven't really mentioned it much, but I definitely prefer the original.

First off, comfort. The new V2 design just doesn't feel as good on my head. I didn't need the reduced weight, nor did I benefit from the new strap or added range of adjustment. I have a large head and I can see why some people had trouble with the V1 but for me it was perfect. Also my ears come dangerously close to touching the inside of the cup on V2 - it makes me nervous. That's not a problem on the original.

As for sound, the V2 is a little brighter and more forward, which is not something I want from the HE1000. V1 has better tonality to my ears - slightly darker than V2, more liquid and smooth, while at the same time being suitably fast and nimble as a whole. Bass sounds more realistic on the V1 as well.... V2 might have a quicker attack but V1 sounds more accurate to my ears.

V2 sounds like they are trying to sound lighter, faster, more HD800-like, and it just doesn't sound as pleasing to me. I still like V2 but given the choice I prefer the original. I suppose you could build a great system around either one though.

Jul 19, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #2,917 of 5,977
I have Yggdrasil as DAC and I am about to buy Ragnorak.

Before I commit, anyone heard both Rag and V281 and what their opinions might be.

My headphone is primarily HD800 although I also have T1 and HD650. Also thinking of getting a Eikon or Atticus.

Jul 20, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #2,918 of 5,977
Jul 20, 2017 at 11:07 PM Post #2,919 of 5,977
I was considering these two as well. Check out this post #2968 from way back:
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/new-schiit-ragnarok-and-yggdrasil.667711/page-198

Thanks. I read all of that.

I first heard V281 at a Sydney meet in 2016 with a T1 in balanced mode. It sounded warm and nice, unlike an ss amp. If I had no other choice I would buy it because I like what I heard.

However, recently I audition Yggdrasil with Ragnarok with HD800 at Addicted To Audio in Newton Sydney. That day I walk away with Yggy and HD800, making a mental note to myself that I will be back to buy the Rag. I definitely like / love what I heard in Yggy Rag and HD800. I wish there was a LCD3 around.

Thanks again Topspin. Wish you all the best in your eventual amp choice.

Jul 20, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #2,920 of 5,977
The reason I ask is because there's a delay in A2A order of the Rag from USA and the dealer suggested V281 if I didn't want to wait. I could walk out of the store with the V281 tomorrow if I wanted to.

I will wait now.... :)

Jul 21, 2017 at 5:00 AM Post #2,921 of 5,977
The reason I ask is because there's a delay in A2A order of the Rag from USA and the dealer suggested V281 if I didn't want to wait. I could walk out of the store with the V281 tomorrow if I wanted to.

I will wait now.... :)

My feeling is that sonically they are quite different, warmish vs neutral, each has its own appeal. I'm sure V281 fans on this thread would talk you out of waiting. For me, I'm waiting to hit lottery so I can own both. ; )

Jul 21, 2017 at 7:17 AM Post #2,922 of 5,977
Agree agree. Which is why I said I did enjoy V281 with T1 too.

It's not day and night difference in sonic enjoyment. Just different as you say.

Personally I could be happy with either. :)

Jul 21, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #2,923 of 5,977
Purrin didn't really care for the V281 all that much, and to my knowledge has never enjoyed any other Violectric product. Contrast that with his seemingly undying love for (almost) all things Schiit, and his personal friendship with Jason/Mike. Make of that what you will. I certainly don't think there's anything shady going on there but I also don't think he is judging purely on sound in most cases.

My position on the Ragnarok is that it's a great integrated but not the best headphone amp in the world if you don't need the speaker portion. While very enjoyable, I feel it is a bit lacking in realism compared to the best amps out there. I'd much rather use the V281 or the Pass Labs HPA-1, without question. It's counterpart, the Yggdrasil, seems to be a more significant contribution to its category, if that makes any sense.

If you head over to InnerFidelity and search for the Big Sound 2015 series, you can read more impressions. Tyll assembled a world-class rig with many top level amps and DACs (plus an expensive Aurender and major power conditioning/cabling) including both the Ragnarok and the V281, and had a bunch of headphone enthusiast come over for listening sessions. Impressions were all over the map - some thought V281 was among the best amps there, others found it mediocre. Ragnarok didn't seem to do as well and I don't recall anyone liking it the most, but it did win some fans depending on the headphone being used.

Tyll summarized the Ragnarok as being "really good" and "a beast of an amp" but then said "To my ears it fell a bit behind some of the other amps in terms of finesse and air, however; I did feel it as a bit lifeless relative to the best amps of the bunch." And also "I'd consider this amp a pretty damned good solution if you've got balanced planar magnetic headphones and need to drive some small-ish speakers, but I don't feel it's the best solution for HD 800 owners looking for world class resolution."

About V281, he concluded "The sound of the V281 was solid and right down the middle. Plenty of weight in the bass, and good balance and evenness broadly; the feature set is very good (it even has a balance control); and the build quality seemed quite good. The only problem I had with it was a modest lack of engagement relative to the other amps; it didn't sound as smooth and liquid to my ears.

None the less, it showed itself as competent, and even a favorite for some of the Big Sound participants. I certainly would feel pretty good about having one of my own were I your average headphone enthusiast. The Violectric is a very versatile and competent headphone amp."

Clear as mud, right? My enjoyment of the V281 is well known and plenty of people here agree - but some don't. And that's fine. That's why it's great to have so many quality options to choose from - something for everyone.

Jul 21, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #2,924 of 5,977
That's why it's great to have so many quality options to choose from - something for everyone.

Thanks for the detailed reply. In choosing either of these 2 amps, I wasn't expecting it to be the best headphone amp in the world. That's not my criteria. That would be a tall order. :) I just wanted a capable ss amp to contrast with my tube amp and initially my thought is to get a planar magnetic to pair with my HD800, T1 and HD650.

I have read those impressions but I am also a believer in listening to them for myself. Fortunately I have been able to do so, albeit only at a meet and a store. It's not sufficient to draw any conclusion but it's still better than not trying it at all. In fact I will be going to A2A in the morning to audition the V281 with Yggdrasil again.

I did not come here with a preconceived mind. If I wasn't keen on V281, I wouldn't be asking the questions here. I'm not solely a Schiit fan. Yggdrasil is the only Schiit gear I've bought. The decision on the amp will not be based on brand, form factor or even price. It's just a $300 price difference. What matters is how I like it's sound with my current headphones and the impending planar or a ZMF new range of dynamic headphone. I don't have ears of a dedicated reviewer but I do know what I like when I hear it.

Which leads to your last statement which I quoted. Too true. As audio enthusiasts, it can only be good for us. I for one would not complain about too many good quality options. :)

Jul 21, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #2,925 of 5,977
Thanks for the detailed reply. In choosing either of these 2 amps, I wasn't expecting it to be the best headphone amp in the world. That's not my criteria. That would be a tall order. :) I just wanted a capable ss amp to contrast with my tube amp and initially my thought is to get a planar magnetic to pair with my HD800, T1 and HD650.

I have read those impressions but I am also a believer in listening to them for myself. Fortunately I have been able to do so, albeit only at a meet and a store. It's not sufficient to draw any conclusion but it's still better than not trying it at all. In fact I will be going to A2A in the morning to audition the V281 with Yggdrasil again.

I did not come here with a preconceived mind. If I wasn't keen on V281, I wouldn't be asking the questions here. I'm not solely a Schiit fan. Yggdrasil is the only Schiit gear I've bought. The decision on the amp will not be based on brand, form factor or even price. It's just a $300 price difference. What matters is how I like it's sound with my current headphones and the impending planar or a ZMF new range of dynamic headphone. I don't have ears of a dedicated reviewer but I do know what I like when I hear it.

Which leads to your last statement which I quoted. Too true. As audio enthusiasts, it can only be good for us. I for one would not complain about too many good quality options. :)

Just to be clear, I wasn't referring to you when I mentioned preconceptions/biases. But yeah, you have the right idea - listen for yourself, with your music, your gear (if possible), and most importantly - your ears. That's by far the best way to know for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back