Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Jul 9, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #2,896 of 5,977
I have this set up. Violectric advised me to reduce the output from the TT by 10%. Luckily the TT has a volume control so this is no problem.

Ohh, that sounds interesting. Would you happen to remember the color for that? I have the mojo which I'm temporarily using while I'm waiting for the hugo tt but that has two colored balls which indicates the volume while the Hugo TT only has one.

Jul 9, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #2,897 of 5,977
For example, while I've just dropped the gain by a total of 14 additional dB from where it had been, I've only listened for a couple hours on the monitors (it sounds great). But the decrease in gain will no doubt also affect headphones--tomorrow or the next day I'll check that out.

Back DIP-switches and internal DIP-switches work independently.
Back switches affect the headphone outputs only.
Internal switches affect the line outputs only.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #2,898 of 5,977
Back DIP-switches and internal DIP-switches work independently.
Back switches affect the headphone outputs only.
Internal switches affect the line outputs only.

I respectfully disagree about back dip-switches affecting only HP out vs internal dip-switches affecting only line out. That's definitely not what I experienced:
  • I did all my gain testing via RCA line out to powered studio monitors + sub, at least initially
  • 1st step was lowering gain by 14 dB/channel on the back panel's dip-switches. There was a noticeable reduction in gain of the line out, though not quite enough (ie, through monitors + sub)
  • 2nd step was to lower gain by 12 dB/channel on the internal dip-switches. The result was a noticeable, additional drop in line-out gain, which satisified me and works well in my system (again, through monitors + sub)
  • Only after all that, did I finally do headphone listening, and found that all headphones I tested were getting a lessening of gain from the V281's outputs (SE & Balanced) roughly equivalent to what I heard via line-out to monitors + sub.
Note: what I call "line out" can actually be configured differently via buttons on the upper left of front panel--for example, to remove the volume pot from control of RCA outputs (say, if you wanted to run the RCA outputs to a preamp or stereo receiver). I'm pretty sure that can be done completely independently of what the headphone output does (ie, where you must have the volume pot in the circuit).
  • I mention this only to say that my gain-dropping experience pertains only to the lIne out setting where the volume pot controls output. For all I know, the external and/or internal dip-switches may have somewhat different effects if the line out setting is other that what I use.

Note-2: I never tested the gain reduction via XLR outputs, though I plan to. I fully expect the balanced outs will behave similarly to the RCA outs, but just haven't had the time to check.

(the V281 is actually rather complicated operationally due to the multitude of I/O switching scenarios.

Jul 10, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #2,899 of 5,977
I respectfully disagree about back dip-switches affecting only HP out vs internal dip-switches affecting only line out. That's definitely not what I experienced

This is strange. I think this is only possible if you have the unit with the different behaviour.
I'm not at home right now to check everything again, but this is what I remember.
I have a DAC with 24 dBu (12.3 V RMS) outputs via XLR.
Both DIP-switches (internal and external) are set to -14 dB.
In that case I have ~10 dBu for the maximum level at line out.
I can be sure about that, because I have ADC with 8.5 dBu inputs, and I can reach this level.
Anyway, it is strange again, because the line out PCB is optional, so the signal should not go through it for headphones.
Another thing is when I change the line out mode from "as is" to controlled via volume pot.
At the maximum position there is no any change in the level/sound.
So, in this case internal DIP-switches always affect the line out.

Jul 10, 2017 at 7:23 AM Post #2,900 of 5,977
The sound is good in every respect, except that it seems to lack very slightly in bass impact/extension as compared to the He-6 driven by my Bryston 2b-LP, and hooked up with speaker taps. I am talking about a difference that is very slight, without being entirely inaudible, and not implying that the He-6's bass on the v281 is "thin" or anything like that.

Which version of the volume control do you have? Standard or relay-based?

Jul 10, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #2,901 of 5,977
Which version of the volume control do you have? Standard or relay-based?

Standard... I have the standard remote, if that is what you mean.

Jul 11, 2017 at 3:20 AM Post #2,902 of 5,977
Ohh, that sounds interesting. Would you happen to remember the color for that? I have the mojo which I'm temporarily using while I'm waiting for the hugo tt but that has two colored balls which indicates the volume while the Hugo TT only has one.
I try and keep thecolour ongreen
I try and keep the colour on green.
Interestingly Violectric did not suggest using the DIP switches to lower the gain.

Jul 11, 2017 at 3:32 AM Post #2,903 of 5,977
I try and keep thecolour ongreen

I try and keep the colour on green.
Interestingly Violectric did not suggest using the DIP switches to lower the gain.

Will give it a try when my Hugo TT arrives. Thanks for the info!

Jul 11, 2017 at 6:44 AM Post #2,904 of 5,977
Standard... I have the standard remote, if that is what you mean.

Hmm... My guess is not confirmed. Interesting...)

I think, that's because Chord DACs go beyond 0 dBFS at maximum level. So, this may lead to clipping.
Proof is here: http://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/dac/chord-hugo-tt-rca.php
"The signal level while playing: Optimal (none maximum) level"
There are comments in russian talking about that too.
They suggest to set output level to 15-20 dB below the maximum.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #2,906 of 5,977
I've got a naive question: Are there any issues when simultaneously using the 6.3 mm output jack at the same time as XLR headphone port? Basically, powering 2 headphones at the same time?

Tried that before, shouldn't have any problems aside from the volume being too loud for one of the headphones/iems you might be using.

Jul 13, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #2,907 of 5,977
I've got a naive question: Are there any issues when simultaneously using the 6.3 mm output jack at the same time as XLR headphone port? Basically, powering 2 headphones at the same time?

First of all this may affect the crosstalk. I think this is the weak point.
Especially if you use low impedance headphones or 3-wire 6.3mm connection.
Will you notice that? I don't know actually. It depends.

[UPD. Looks like I made wrong conclusion. Surprisingly simultaneous connection does not affect the crosstalk. This becomes much more interesting to research.]

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #2,908 of 5,977

The balanced headphone jack will have 6db more gain than the 6.3 mm jack so it will be louder.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #2,909 of 5,977
The balanced headphone jack will have 6bd more gain than the 6.3 mm jack so it will be louder.
For seemingly power hungry TOTL headphones such as the Hifiman 1000 V2 that may need more than the CHORD Hugo 2 can supply for larger sound stage, dynamics, improved bass impact/slam, I have come across several reasonably priced amps that others have reported good synergy with the HEK V2 in this regard including the MicroZOTL2 tube amp, the Violectric HPA V281, the Trilogy 931 (special order from England), the very inexpensive Schiit Jotunheim, and finally the Wells Audio Milo. Has anyone heard any of these with the HEK V2 and also with the Focal Utopias?? At the moment I am mostly considering the Vioelectric vs Milo.

Jul 15, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #2,910 of 5,977
For seemingly power hungry TOTL headphones such as the Hifiman 1000 V2 that may need more than the CHORD Hugo 2 can supply for larger sound stage, dynamics, improved bass impact/slam, I have come across several reasonably priced amps that others have reported good synergy with the HEK V2 in this regard including the MicroZOTL2 tube amp, the Violectric HPA V281, the Trilogy 931 (special order from England), the very inexpensive Schiit Jotunheim, and finally the Wells Audio Milo. Has anyone heard any of these with the HEK V2 and also with the Focal Utopias?? At the moment I am mostly considering the Vioelectric vs Milo.

I don't have the HEK V2's but I do have the V1's. and I do like the V281 in terms of synergy. There is power, control and detail albeit with a fairly sterile if accurate presentation. The detail and resolution is the V281's strong point. It also has a huge amount of flexibility as a device in any system that you add it to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back