Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Oct 24, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #2,341 of 6,030

Not using the V281's power amp and just letting the rear line level opamp to do the driving job is essentially like turning the V281 into a good old fashioned O2 headphone amp.

I'm not sure what the output impedance of the rear line outs are (it's not written in the manual), but for a low impedance headphones like Ether Flow (23 ohms), I'm sure it could sound a bit more warm and loose (less harsh), which is not a bad thing, particularly for something like Ether Flow which might be better to let it ring naturally without much damping.

It's kind of like saying a car with a small engine feels more interesting because you can really feel the steep hills, and doesn't respond as well to the foot on the pedal.

Thanks for that - makes it a bit more sensible why I can hear the differences that I can hear.

It does work out better with the Flow - it has a bright edge to it up top that can grate with a less than baby bottom smooth treble.

Oct 25, 2016 at 5:09 AM Post #2,342 of 6,030
  Holy Carp Batman! The V281 just arrived today. I have dual XLRs on my HD800, and having to use an adapter to 1/4" to listen. Previous amp HeadRoom Balanced Ultra headphone amp.

I have been cruising to upgrade my office system. I prefer not to have tubes here at the office, I was looking at the Mjolnir II, and settled on the V281 due to the great reviews, and being 1K less than the GSX. I already have a BHSE/SR009 at home. Keeping the W4S DAC2 -DSD for now.

I have ordered a Focal Utopia with balanced Silver Dragon cable from Drew, so I have yet another jaw dropping moment coming I suspect. If not, I will just get a decent cable for my aging HD800s.

The HD800s sound fresh and new with this amp, probably due to the increased power available. Currently listening at the 10 o'clock position.

Still a bit heavy and thick compared to the BHSE/SR009, but then I would expect so. We will see what proper balanced cables and the similarly priced dynamic headphones do with a burned in V281.

No clue when the Utopia's are coming in stock at Moon-Audio.

One thing the Mjolnir 2 really does well is slam and kick, however the rest did not stand out positively in comparison. For instance the soundstages is really lacking depth, being elliptic. Treble is less refined and the overall impression lesser in detail. Imaging and soundstage are truly grand with the V281 (HD800 modded, balanced), being bigger than the picture if that makes sense. I really love that. 

If you're only at SE right now then you'll be in for a treat once you go fully balanced. 

Oct 25, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #2,343 of 6,030
Anyone here tried to compare this against the newer V280? I've been contemplating to get one together with my 800S, but I feel the extra features the V281 has are unnecessary for me and would be more than willing to give them up to save some cash. But as all things in this hobby, sound quality cuts through everything. Thanks!

Oct 25, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #2,344 of 6,030
Anyone here tried to compare this against the newer V280? I've been contemplating to get one together with my 800S, but I feel the extra features the V281 has are unnecessary for me and would be more than willing to give them up to save some cash. But as all things in this hobby, sound quality cuts through everything. Thanks!

The balance out of the 281 is nice. If you don't need it then no reason to get it.

I view the 281 as end game ss so it was worth it for me.

Oct 25, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #2,346 of 6,030
The balance out of the 281 is nice. If you don't need it then no reason to get it.

I view the 281 as end game ss so it was worth it for me.

v280 has the balanced output, but it misses the balanced preamp output. The v220 is the s.e. version.

Oct 25, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #2,349 of 6,030
  The V280 also has balanced output. I'm only concerned if whether paying a few hundred more bucks with the V281 will yield "better" sound quality than the V280 when comparing their balanced output.

Yeah it will. V281 is like having two V200's squished together. So 4 individual amps. It's like a amp on each pin of balanced mode.

V280 has just two amps. So a amp for each side. A amp for every two pins in balanced mode.

I've listened to the V181 and have a V281. Similar sound signatures but the V281 is a lot more holographic.

Oct 25, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #2,350 of 6,030

Yeah it will. V281 is like having two V200's squished together. So 4 individual amps. It's like a amp on each pin of balanced mode.

V280 has just two amps. So a amp for each side. A amp for every two pins in balanced mode.

I've listened to the V181 and have a V281. Similar sound signatures but the V281 is a lot more holographic.

Nope, v280 has 4 v200 based  amps
http://www.lake-people.de/produktdetails/HPA_V280.html

Oct 25, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #2,351 of 6,030
  Nope, v280 has 4 v200 based  amps
http://www.lake-people.de/produktdetails/HPA_V280.html

Well crap. Teach me a lesson.
biggrin.gif
That is cool. It will likely sound very similar.

Oct 25, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #2,352 of 6,030

Well crap. Teach me a lesson.
biggrin.gif
That is cool. It will likely sound very similar.

I wish I had them side by side for a comparison: I received my v280 as replacement of a (defective) v281 for office use, unfortunately I regret that choice, the v280 is only thinner but still too big for an office desktop and to my memory sounds a little more congested, more with the jotunheim out, it doesn't offer any advantage for the price and offers even less options.  
I wouldn't consider it anymore as a cheaper option to the v281. 

Oct 25, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #2,353 of 6,030
One thing to keep in mind with the V281 is the pre-out. My mate swears it is even smoother connecting a HP using a XLR harness.
Something I haven't tried yet. But will.

V280 doesn't have a pre-out so you wouldn't be able to do it. Might be something worthwhile especially with the HD800s.

Oct 25, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #2,354 of 6,030

I bought a lots of gear this as a rookie to the party. I did get the V280 just 10 weeks ago. Since then I have gotten the 2Qute and the 800S to go with it. Then the Grado GS 2000e showed up 12 days ago in my line up. I am all SE and I can tell you even if you drive the V280 with the Mojo it still sounds great with the 800S. I am not going to re cable and staying with the SE setup so I think the 280 is just a tank of a machine.

Oct 25, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #2,355 of 6,030
  One thing to keep in mind with the V281 is the pre-out. My mate swears it is even smoother connecting a HP using a XLR harness.
Something I haven't tried yet. But will.

V280 doesn't have a pre-out so you wouldn't be able to do it. Might be something worthwhile especially with the HD800s.

sorry to correct you again, but the v280 has a pre out, only single ended though, not both s.e. and balanced as the v281. :D 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back