Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Aug 5, 2016 at 12:40 AM Post #2,161 of 5,926

If you intend to control the speakers volume through the XMC-1 then I'd recommend to make sure that the V281 will output fixed signal (i.e. not affected by its volume pot setting). Check page 22 of the manual for the relevant procedure.

Excellent!  This is exactly the question I was going to ask next.  I'll check out p.22 in the manual.  Thanks for the great anticipation
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 5, 2016 at 2:31 AM Post #2,162 of 5,926
Ok, here we go again: what are "pre fader" and "post fader" modes, and how does each of these settings affect play and sound?  But the more serious question is whether, in order to  make sure that the V281 will output a fixed signal to my pre pro, I will have to mess with the internal DIP switches on the line-out circuit board that is shown in the illustration on page 33?  If so what will be the best fixed setting if I am using Balanced XLR connections all around, both to and from the V281?

Aug 5, 2016 at 3:15 AM Post #2,163 of 5,926
  Ok, here we go again: what are "pre fader" and "post fader" modes, and how does each of these settings affect play and sound?  But the more serious question is whether, in order to  make sure that the V281 will output a fixed signal to my pre pro, will I have to mess with the internal DIP switches on the line-out circuit board that is shown in the illustration on page 33?  If so what will be the best fixed setting if I am using Balanced XLR connections all around, both to and from the V281?

You want pre-fader to get the fixed level signal. All you need for that is press a few buttons, as described in the manual.
Mucking around the dip switches shouldn't be necessary unless the signal will be too strong or too weak for the XMC-1. Try it first as is.

Aug 5, 2016 at 4:13 AM Post #2,164 of 5,926

You want pre-fader to get the fixed level signal. All you need for that is press a few buttons, as described in the manual.
Mucking around the dip switches shouldn't be necessary unless the signal will be too strong or too weak for the XMC-1. Try it first as is.

I think the instructions for engaging the pre-fader mode are rather simple... I just did not know what the expression meant (as in, why is it called a "fader," and what "fades" when it is engaged?).  I am certainly glad to hear this does not necessarily have to involve tinkering with any dip switches...  In fact, I would rather not open the chasis at all, and would be quite a happy camper if I never have to.

Thanks for all your help.

Aug 6, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #2,165 of 5,926
Hi, hope someone can point me in the right direction. Im thinking of ordering both the v281 and v850, what balanced cables would one suggest to connect the amp and dac together? Are there any cables that have a small enough length to neatly connect when stacked. Something under a grand preferably.

Also what usb cable does one suggest?

Cheers.

Aug 7, 2016 at 2:15 AM Post #2,166 of 5,926
I don't suppose you're open to the suggestion of "Don't buy expensive cables - spend your money on something else"?...

Though Violectric makes some nice looking cables to connect these two. 0.5m is long enough and looks nice and neat if they are stacked or side by side. If you are buying the DAC/amp it would be no extra postage either I would think. $170 USD at the moment.

http://violectric-usa.com/accessories/pi-xlr-pair

There is no pics on the website but someone posted some here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/705318/violectric-hpa-v281-vorsprung-durch-balanced/1935#post_12561094

Aug 7, 2016 at 2:39 AM Post #2,167 of 5,926
I don't suppose you're open to the suggestion of "Don't buy expensive cables - spend your money on something else"?...

Though Violectric makes some nice looking cables to connect these two. 0.5m is long enough and looks nice and neat if they are stacked or side by side. If you are buying the DAC/amp it would be no extra postage either I would think. $170 USD at the moment.

http://violectric-usa.com/accessories/pi-xlr-pair

There is no pics on the website but someone posted some here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/705318/violectric-hpa-v281-vorsprung-durch-balanced/1935#post_12561094

With balanced cables the difference they make is even less than with SE. Really not worth spending a lot on these, and $30 generic cables are all that is needed. The Violectric ones are probably at the top end of what makes sense. Good call @mulder01 !

Aug 7, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #2,168 of 5,926
Im totally on board with dont spend more thats needed on cables.

The photo confuses me somewhat, in the top image of the dac shows a black and white cross hatched type sleeving from the balanced outs, yet the below image of the amp shows a pink sleeving to the balanced in.

Which is the violectric cable thats being refered to?

It seems as if that the photo of the dac, shows a pink coax cable connected to the digital input and a white/black cross hatched cables from the analogue balanced outs.
However the photo below of the amp, shows a pair of pink cables entering the balanced in.

Does the black and white cables change to a pink colour? Or are they different cables?

Im a bit of a newby, so maybe im understanding the concept wrong, but in order to listen to music balanced, does the dac and amp have to be connected via balanced cables? Balanced xlr out from the dac, to balanced xlr in on the amp. Then balanced 4pin xlr headphone cables from the front.

Thanks

Aug 7, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #2,169 of 5,926
I use short Moon Audio Blue Dragon XLR cables to connect my DAC to the V281 and also a Moon Audio USB cable to connect my MBP to the DAC.

I am very satisfied with the result. Also tried connecting the DAC to the V281 using SE but preferred the sound from the XLRs.

Aug 7, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #2,170 of 5,926
I use short Moon Audio Blue Dragon XLR cables to connect my DAC to the V281 and also a Moon Audio USB cable to connect my MBP to the DAC.

I am very satisfied with the result. Also tried connecting the DAC to the V281 using SE but preferred the sound from the XLRs.

Amazing, thank you ever so much for the reply. Are all XLR cables balanced? Does the cable need to be made in a specific way to be balanced?
Cheers

Aug 9, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #2,174 of 5,926
  The relay option means you have a relay-based system with 128 steps, each .75dB apart from the previous step. So it's easy to dial in the exact same level every time. It also sounds ever so slightly better imho, since it has less "stuff" in the signal path compared to the regular potentiometer. 

The standard and motorized options both use a very nice Alps RK27 pot and it works very well. The upgrade is for us crazy folks who want that last little bit of transparency. For the best value per dollar the regular volume is better. 

Imo the clicking is tolerable for the slight boost in overall clarity which you get. Maybe it was the latte macchiato that led to my conclusion but I listened back and forth like a madman (with the original HD800). Auditatory memory can be misleading though.

Aug 9, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #2,175 of 5,926

I can borrow the balanced cable for the Pioneer Master 1 to you as I remember you are living somewhere near the Essen area? However it's the one from Pioneer, which has two 3-pin connectors. 

Hi Wurstteppich, I took a little vacation from Head-Fi, so I just saw this now. Thank you very much for your generous offer! I'm based in Munich, but I'll be in Essen next month. Do you live there? Anyhow, I'm afraid the 3-pin cable would indeed do me no good, I'd need an adapter which I don't have. Also, I'm tending more towards an aftermarket cable at the moment, since my stock cable has done this:

(anyone notice the amp in the background? 
tongue.gif
)

with no apparent reason and I'm afraid the balanced one might do the same number on me. Also, the price is really quite steep.

Well, thanks anyway, and perhaps we'll meet sometime in Essen!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back