Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Aug 11, 2016 at 7:21 AM Post #2,192 of 5,975
from the horses mouth:

"The low frequency roll-off which you can see in the inner-fidelity plots is due to the 128-step relay option.

For all amps with the standard volume control or the motorized ones (including V281 !) the frequency range is as denoted in the specs.

Best regards

Fried Reim"

A) the specs and the measurements (by innerfidelity) didn't match, I was seeking clarity.

B) and yup, I am paying for it out of my pocket, I would prefer for a product to perform as advertised.

Aug 11, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #2,197 of 5,975
The HD650 balanced with the V281 is a different animal! Kind of got me wondering if HEK was really a good idea afterall. Lol!

As is usually the case, project86 was really spot-on on this one:

"The higher end of the pricing scale is never the best in terms of value, so you really have to ask yourself if you wouldn’t be just as happy spending less on a slightly inferior (but still excellent) headphone. I’d even go so far as to recommend hunting down a second-hand example of the recently discontinued HiFiMAN HE-500 — one of my all time favorites — which can likely be had for a comparative pittance these days. And don’t forget the Sennheiser HD650, ever the crowdpleaser, which is on sale for under $400 brand new. No, none of these are as good as the HE-1000, yet all have the potential to satisfy for a lot less cash. Seriously, give it some thought."

Here's the setup:

Aug 11, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #2,199 of 5,975
ken6217 i agree, and I'm not trying to say that they are... What I'm trying say is that, for a fraction of the cost, the HD650, in the right system, could be considered a good end-game for a lot of folks.

As Project86 puts it, "have the potential to satisfy for a lot less cash."

I was just amazed at how well the HD650 scaled up, since it was the first time I tried them balanced after purchasing adapters for it together with the balanced Norne Solv X cables i got for the HEK.

The adapter is pretty cool though, I get to use my cable with two HPs. Here's how it looks:

Aug 12, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #2,200 of 5,975
Yes, HEK is certainly a lot better than HD650, HE-500, LCD-2, etc. My point in that paragraph was that people shouldn't flock to the most expensive, latest and greatest releases merely because they exist. 

This is not all that different from recommending a speaker. We could start off with Magico, Wilson, Raidho, Avantgarde, Marten Design, YG Acoustics, etc, spending the big bucks and (hopefully) getting amazing sound. BUT it's not absurd to consider less obscene options from Salk, Usher, KEF, Tannoy, Penaudio, Totem, Aerial Acoustics, Harbeth... potentially some very good results and certainly more value.

Does it mean I think a Salk Songtower is better than a Marten Coltrane Supreme? Of course not. 

Aug 12, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #2,201 of 5,975
I also have both HD650 and HEK. You are absolutely right, HD650 with V281 is good, really good. But V281 with HEK is still much much better. Trying the HD650 with the V281 is a nice experiment and a nice easy to listen combination with more detail and greater soundstage you would have expected from the HD650 before! The infamous veil is gone nearly completely. However, in general, it does not make much sense to combine an a headamp of 2k USD/EUR with a headphone of 300-400 USD/EUR. The other way round you will still get a better combination (ifi iDSD Micro with HEK/HEX/HD800S etc.). So even though the HD650 shines with the V281, the Vio is made for the greatest cans availabe!

Aug 12, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #2,202 of 5,975
  I also have both HD650 and HEK. You are absolutely right, HD650 with V281 is good, really good. But V281 with HEK is still much much better. Trying the HD650 with the V281 is a nice experiment and a nice easy to listen combination with more detail and greater soundstage you would have expected from the HD650 before! The infamous veil is gone nearly completely. However, in general, it does not make much sense to combine an a headamp of 2k USD/EUR with a headphone of 300-400 USD/EUR. The other way round you will still get a better combination (ifi iDSD Micro with HEK/HEX/HD800S etc.). So even though the HD650 shines with the V281, the Vio is made for the greatest cans availabe!

True. The quote Mist3rLao posted earlier was from my review of the HEK. So the context was not about using V281 with affordable cans, but rather - some people will be perfectly happy with excellent gear that isn't top of the line gear. V200 is a great amp, V220 and V181... all great options for less than top dollar. Heck, I love the Lake People G109 paired with an HE500, which is pretty damn affordable in the grand scheme of things. For a lot of people who aren't totally crazy like me, that setup is plenty. 

I still like V281 and HEK more though. 

Aug 13, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #2,203 of 5,975
True. The quote [COLOR=6A6A6A]Mist3rLao [/COLOR]posted earlier was from my review of the HEK. So the context was not about using V281 with affordable cans, but rather - some people will be perfectly happy with excellent gear that isn't top of the line gear. V200 is a great amp, V220 and V181... all great options for less than top dollar. Heck, I love the Lake People G109 paired with an HE500, which is pretty damn affordable in the grand scheme of things. For a lot of people who aren't totally crazy like me, that setup is plenty. 

I still like V281 and HEK more though. 

Love my v281 and HD800 S

Aug 13, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #2,204 of 5,975
Love my v281 and HD800 S

Yeah, a great combination, I know. You can be happy with it!
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back