Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Apr 13, 2016 at 5:16 AM Post #1,831 of 5,977
I mostly use the HE6, and with quieter source material like the audio on some downloaded TV and movies the extra gain is an absolute necessity. I set mine to the max setting and left it there. Works fine with the HE6 and HD800S for me.

Apr 13, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #1,832 of 5,977
  430HA - slow, veiled, lacking dynamics and punch. Perhaps the most over rated product in HeadFi at the moment.

Taurus - a little bright and could get a little muddled in complex music. Lacks the oomph to drive the HE6 properly. Otherwise a very good amp. This was my "go to" SS amp for a couple of years before I decided to "upgrade" to the 430HA (mistake), then went to the V281 (bang on the money).

As always, these are my impressions. YMMV.

I realize that this is the v281 appreciation thread and all but with all due respect Tony not long ago you were singing the praises of both mentioned amps as if they were the second coming of the Lord All Mighty.

Countless posts prove how you once felt the "Tauras nailed it" or the "430HA reigned supreme" so on and son and so on........to FANBOY Supreme levels of enthusiasm.  And now here we are with the v281 and its "God like" amp holiness.

If I was a betting man I would bet that in a few weeks if not a few months you will find something else that destroys the v281 on all accounts.

You Sir go through amp infatuation like candy. 

Apr 13, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #1,833 of 5,977

I realize that this is the v281 appreciation thread and all but with all due respect Tony not long ago you were singing the praises of both mentioned amps as if they were the second coming of the Lord All Mighty.

Countless posts prove how you once felt the "Tauras nailed it" or the "430HA reigned supreme" so on and son and so on........to FANBOY Supreme levels of enthusiasm.  And now here we are with the v281 and its "God like" amp holiness.

If I was a betting man I would bet that in a few weeks if not a few months you will find something else that destroys the v281 on all accounts.

There's nothing wrong with trying new equipment and finding out that it surpasses what you already own. Isn't that part of the fun of the hobby?

I actually tried that same path (except the Taurus first) and I have the same findings as he did. So he's guilty of being loving what he has until he finds something else that he likes better. I think I also did that with women. :)

Apr 13, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #1,834 of 5,977

And I wonder what motivates you to post this? A financial imperative of some description? It seems that HEadFi is stalked by those wanting to push certain products, ready to pounce on anyone that has something negative to say.

Rather address the characteristics (flaws) of the 430HA you would rather attack me. Why? Have I hit on something real here? And what is a 430HA pusher doing in the V281 thread? Do you even own a V281? Or are you just here to push/protect the 430HA?

Getting back to what you raised - I have been quite kind to the Taurus. It has some limitations compared to the V281, but is still a good amp. I said that above.

The 430HA is musical and warm. Build quality and functionality are excellent. I was infatuated with it at first - yes. It took me a while, and some serious A/B blind testing, to realize it is also deeply flawed (IMHO).

Am I going to be stalked on every thread whenever the 430HA comes up? Are there folks searching HeadFi for any mention of the 430HA, ready to leap to its defense, using whatever tactics suit their purpose? Sure feels like it.

Apr 14, 2016 at 12:46 AM Post #1,835 of 5,977
Funny discussion actually. People tend to rave about certain gear till they hear better/other gear. Typical headfi to conclude things (too?) quickly :)
(Not saying Tonyxxx is one of those guys, but it is a general trend. Nothing new)

Apr 14, 2016 at 1:47 AM Post #1,836 of 5,977
I suppose you don't know how good something can be until you hear it though - I find the most difference is discovered when you go BACK to something. Back in the day I thought my Ultrasone Edition 8's plugged into my ipod was the best thing since sliced bread. Then I tried the LCD 2/3/X and was like holy crap these are so much better - these are the best things ever. Then I heard the Abyss and I was like holy crap everything else is rubbish except for these. And when you go back to something you previously loved the crap out of, you turn your nose up at yourself thinking "I can't believe I thought these sounded good"

Of course, YMMV

Apr 14, 2016 at 6:21 AM Post #1,837 of 5,977

That's harsh. Have you never heard anything better than what you have got?

It happens all the time. :rolleyes:

Apr 14, 2016 at 6:56 AM Post #1,838 of 5,977

Offcourse there will be a new unit competing as the makers compete in a commercial market with us being the customers. Some like Tony can afford purchasing unit after unit, and can give the rest of us some good user-reviews than the commercial counterparts can give us. If Tony finds something better, he might change. and in a few months I do hope something that kicks one of the best amps for head fi down.. and this vendor can compete again with a new unit.

My V281 will arrive monday

Apr 14, 2016 at 6:58 AM Post #1,839 of 5,977
I suppose you don't know how good something can be until you hear it though - I find the most difference is discovered when you go BACK to something. Back in the day I thought my Ultrasone Edition 8's plugged into my ipod was the best thing since sliced bread. Then I tried the LCD 2/3/X and was like holy crap these are so much better - these are the best things ever. Then I heard the Abyss and I was like holy crap everything else is rubbish except for these. And when you go back to something you previously loved the crap out of, you turn your nose up at yourself thinking "I can't believe I thought these sounded good"

Of course, YMMV

I had a similar experience like that years ago. I had a good 2 channel amp and had borrowed a Levinson amp for an afternoon to hear how it sounded. I listened and liked it but wasn't sure how much better it was until I returned it and hooked my amp back up. The first thing I immediately thought was "where's the bass"?

Btw, if you look through the profiles of members you will see a list of current gear as well a long list of past gear. I'm sure they loved all of those at one time.

Apr 14, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #1,840 of 5,977
I stick to my opinion .....in a few months the v281 will be yesterdays news to make room for the current FOTM.

My post was not meant as an attack more as an observation.  Some people suffer from extreme New Toy Syndrome and gush about it to the extreme.

Apr 14, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #1,841 of 5,977
  I stick to my opinion .....in a few months the v281 will be yesterdays news to make room for the current FOTM.

My post was not meant as an attack more as an observation.  Some people suffer from extreme New Toy Syndrome and gush about it to the extreme.

Yea but why the observation? It's unnecessary. Sounds more like you're upset that he doesn't love the amp that you both once had. Seems more personal than anything. We should keep the forum about the equipment.

Apr 14, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #1,842 of 5,977
I am entitled to my opinion as well as my obesrvations, as you are. 
beerchug.gif

Apr 14, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #1,843 of 5,977
I think attacking someone that personal is out of bonds! yes, your observations about equipment sure, but not personal attacks..

I think a moderator should look into this now.

Apr 14, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #1,845 of 5,977
Your strong insecurity and flamboyant anger towards someone who doesn't value your gear anymore is telling. I just flew over your post history and it confirmed everything to me. Please leave this thread alone and stop claiming to have an opinion because it clearly does not meet the topic of this thread: the V281. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back