Violectric HPA V280 - balanced headphone amp - impressions and discussion thread
May 25, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #511 of 1,098
Damn I'm on the fence at getting the V280 at that price drop.... My other options are a RebelAmp (class A for ~$500) or Liquid Platinum (SS tube hybrid ~$500) which would allow me still a budget to get the Bifrost 2. If I get the V280 I would not be able to afford a DAC upgrade for awhile and just stick with the Bifrost 1.

Any thoughts on the right move to make? I have a Lyr & Bf1 today which I'm happy with but feeling the need for a bit of an upgrade.

May 25, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #512 of 1,098
Damn I'm on the fence at getting the V280 at that price drop.... My other options are a RebelAmp (class A for ~$500) or Liquid Platinum (SS tube hybrid ~$500) which would allow me still a budget to get the Bifrost 2. If I get the V280 I would not be able to afford a DAC upgrade for awhile and just stick with the Bifrost 1.

Any thoughts on the right move to make? I have a Lyr & Bf1 today which I'm happy with but feeling the need for a bit of an upgrade.
Personally I'd take the Bifrost 2 + any other of the $500 amps. Don't get me wrong, the v280 is the best amp I've owned but I also owned the Bifrost 1 many moons ago and I don't have fond memories of it! Lol

Edit: you could also sell the Bifrost/Lyr and get the v280 and a second hand Modi multibit till you're able to get more funds for Bifrost 2

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #513 of 1,098
I had the first Modi Multibit (before the Firmware update) and the V281 until I could buy a better DAC.

May 25, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #514 of 1,098
No, the V380 is a DAC/AMP. The V280's successor, the standalone amp, has a different number. You will find out soon.

The RME offers a lot of functions which you should make use of if you buy it, else it's a waste if you don't. Bifrost 2 has better tone/timbre, imaging, better bass definition and power and staging offers much more depth and layering. Real instruments have greater weight and body and you will love the density of their tone.

Bifrost 2 is very bare bones though, only offers 3 inputs and a polarity switch. No pre amp function, no AES. However USB quality is outstanding.
Bifrost 2 is best when listening to Redbook because the closed form filter works best with 44,1 and 48khz.

True, something to take in consideration with the RME. The sound for me is still the priority, though i like the option feature set, especially the line out selector and output voltage in line out.

The Bifrost 2 probably will need an attenuator (20db one) for the xlr out, because 4V is quite a bit loud and there isn´t a way to regulate that. That is what i like on the Adi 2, and other dacs i´m looking but might a bit harder to get even used: V850, and Qutest

The LP RS 06, could have been a good option with USB included, one is able to change the output power on the front, while on the V850 you have to open the case.

What is Redbook btw? Is it music in 44.1 or 48khz?

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 7:18 PM Post #515 of 1,098
True, something to take in consideration with the RME. The sound for me is still the priority, though i like the option feature set, especially the line out selector and output voltage in line out.

The Bifrost 2 probably will need an attenuator (20db one) for the xlr out, because 4V is quite a bit loud and there isn´t a way to regulate that. That is what i like on the Adi 2, and other dacs i´m looking but might a bit harder to get even used: V850, and Qutest

The LP RS 06, could have been a good option with USB included, one is able to change the output power on the front, while on the V850 you have to open the case.

What is Redbook btw? Is it music in 44.1 or 48khz?
Redbook is 44.1 (CD).
That's the good thing of the V280. It has 4 adjustable attenuation levels (as far as I remember).
I also had the rme adi dac some time ago. While the feature set was fantastic, in the end I ended up preferring the chord 2qute as I found it more engaging personally and it was about half the price (used) I paid for the rme dac.

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 7:33 PM Post #516 of 1,098
Redbook is 44.1 (CD).
That's the good thing of the V280. It has 4 adjustable attenuation levels (as far as I remember).
I also had the rme adi dac some time ago. While the feature set was fantastic, in the end I ended up preferring the chord 2qute as I found it more engaging personally and it was about half the price (used) I paid for the rme dac.

Ok, thanks.

Yes the V280 has that, but i was referring being able to adjust the same on the dac. The output voltage, like you have on the succesor of the 2qute, the qutest, and other dacs like the rme and the violectric/LP dacs for example. It gives you even more room for adjustability.

May 26, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #518 of 1,098
Well my first headphone amp was (and still is) the Lake People G109S. Today I grabbed one of those V280's from Massdrop. Maybe my endgame amp? Looking forward to hear how it pairs with my ADI-2 DAC. Add to that my trusty HD650's and I've got myself a German straight.
Think you will like it a lot like I do. I upgraded from LP G103 to V280 last year; pairing it with the V850. My HD650 has scaled up significantly and now sounds wonderful to my ears.

May 26, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #519 of 1,098
Think you will like it a lot like I do. I upgraded from LP G103 to V280 last year; pairing it with the V850. My HD650 has scaled up significantly and now sounds wonderful to my ears.
Yeah my HD650 sounds remarkable with the RME DAC and LP G109. Once the V280 comes in the Sennies should be something else. I also have an OFC copper with silver coating headphone cable coming next week for the 650's.

May 26, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #521 of 1,098
unless there's something around the corner (ie the amp that is going to replace the v280, ie the smaller brother and amp only version of v590) the v280 at $1199 is a hot price

the v590 views of @project86 seem more to my liking (ie more neutral) but way over my budget

Last edited:
May 26, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #522 of 1,098
unless there's something around the corner (ie the amp that is going to replace the v280, ie the smaller brother and amp only version of v590) the v280 at $1199 is a hot price

No matter what's around the corner the 1199 price is a screaming deal. Again, European goods available at huge discounts but not in Europe. Foul! Foul!

May 26, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #523 of 1,098
No matter what's around the corner the 1199 price is a screaming deal. Again, European goods available at huge discounts but not in Europe. Foul! Foul!

Agree, they should have droped a price too 1100eur in Europe too. There is a link to 2 refurbished V280 at 1200 eur on ebay from lake people itself, but its not the same.

Another example is Beyer T1V2, produced in Europe, but yet it is sold at less then 600eur in the US while you can´t find them below 720eur in Europe. And this at a promotion, usually the price is 860eur. An excelent deal there too, especially for the black version.

Last edited:
May 27, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #524 of 1,098
I have been contemplating whether or not to get the HD800S because of the massive sound scape but what's keeping me from pulling the trigger is that these headphone have lacklustre bass. I know that is the nature of this headphone but I was wondering if the warmer signature of the V280 might bring out a bit more bass heft out of the 800S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back