Violectric HPA V280 - balanced headphone amp - impressions and discussion thread
May 23, 2020 at 2:28 AM Post #496 of 1,098
May 24, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #499 of 1,098
What do you like about the Fostex pairing? (which Fostex?) What do you NOT like with the Arya pairing?

May 24, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #500 of 1,098
Imo the V280 is legitimately an end game solid state amp. Unless you have the power requirements of an Abyss or Susvara I feel like I'm pretty much set with it, and the Vio sounds amazing with the Arya.

There are others in this price range that you can look at. I have a Phonitor E on the way to compare the two for the YT channel but to my ears you really can't lose with the Violectric.

May 24, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #501 of 1,098
Imo the V280 is legitimately an end game solid state amp. Unless you have the power requirements of an Abyss or Susvara I feel like I'm pretty much set with it, and the Vio sounds amazing with the Arya.

There are others in this price range that you can look at. I have a Phonitor E on the way to compare the two for the YT channel but to my ears you really can't lose with the Violectric.

I am considering adding a v280 to my RME ADI-2. Do you think it will add anything to the RME or do you not hear much of a difference between the RME amp and the V280?

May 24, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #503 of 1,098
I am considering adding a v280 to my RME ADI-2. Do you think it will add anything to the RME or do you not hear much of a difference between the RME amp and the V280?
I hear a difference, but it depends on your headphones. Check this video if you haven't already.

Is this amp fully balanced like it's big brother v281?
Loaded question but check this post: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/vio...-durch-balanced.705318/page-249#post-14378632

Short answer is it's amplified balanced and discretely, just like the V281 yes.

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #504 of 1,098
May 24, 2020 at 8:06 PM Post #505 of 1,098
What do you like about the Fostex pairing? (which Fostex?) What do you NOT like with the Arya pairing?
I was talking Focal Elex not Fostex. Elex sounds great on Aune S7 pro and Arya can be better or only few improvement compare to my other amps I owned like smsl sp200. I actually have a pair of Fostex th610 and I don't think it's a good pairing with Aune. I didn't like it when I had x7s. ISorry I don't have the fancy words to describe exactly what I don't like. I'm considering v280 bc I really like Arya and want to buy an amp to drive it to it's full potential. I'm willing to upgrade my current DAC as well. I feel like Topping does not have the authority but a nice soft sound. What balance DAC do you suggest to pair with v280? Budget for DAC is below 2000USD. Thanks

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 8:32 PM Post #506 of 1,098

Good to know it sounds great with Arya. Do you have a DAC in mind or used before that matches the slightly warm sound of v
280? I'm using Topping D7s right now but somehow I prefer the sound from my AK Kann more compare to Topping. Topping uses two 9038q2m and Kann has single 4490.

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #507 of 1,098
Good to know it sounds great with Arya. Do you have a DAC in mind or used before that matches the slightly warm sound of v
280? I'm using Topping D7s right now but somehow I prefer the sound from my AK Kann more compare to Topping. Topping uses two 9038q2m and Kann has single 4490.
I bet either will sound great. I upgraded from an SU-8 because I wanted the features of the RME. There's about a $1k price difference there but I couldn't say the RME sounds 5X better.

May 25, 2020 at 3:44 AM Post #508 of 1,098
I was talking Focal Elex not Fostex. Elex sounds great on Aune S7 pro and Arya can be better or only few improvement compare to my other amps I owned like smsl sp200. I actually have a pair of Fostex th610 and I don't think it's a good pairing with Aune. I didn't like it when I had x7s. ISorry I don't have the fancy words to describe exactly what I don't like. I'm considering v280 bc I really like Arya and want to buy an amp to drive it to it's full potential. I'm willing to upgrade my current DAC as well. I feel like Topping does not have the authority but a nice soft sound. What balance DAC do you suggest to pair with v280? Budget for DAC is below 2000USD. Thanks

If you have that kind of budget for a DAC why not take a look at the V590? You will get both a full DAC and the successor to the V281 in one package.
I have owned the Arya for a while and paired it with the US4+ and it was a great pairing. US4+ bass power and sustain really complements the Arya next to giving it more tactility and definition. The Arya is highly capable and scaling very well, the only real nitpick I have is the 5k peak, which doesn't really disturb me but for new headphones we should expect better.

The V281 successor is designed close to the US4+, so of course I'm extrapolating from the Niimbus standpoint. Hope to have a listen to the V590 soon so I can give it a real judgment. Since the Arya buyer lives in my town as well, I'll just invite him over.

I don't trust Aune or SMSL. No offense to budget gear but 99% of them are just designed by spec, nothing more. And they sound this way too. If you want budget gear take a look at Schiit and some of the little manufacturers that don't get mentioned a lot here.

Focal Elex has sharp tactile transients, which is a plus, but pairing them with a THX amp and with a meme DAC should do them no favors at all.

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 9:01 AM Post #509 of 1,098
I think the real successor of the V280 will be the V380, considering the PSU implementation, and simpler design. And if the unit goes close to the 2000eur area it will good consideration for people using V280 and external dac. Now the question is how it sounds, does it have the musical/romantical presentation like @Relaxasaurus sais in its video? which i agree. If yes, it would be a great combo.

@Fegefeuer Could you talk about more about the pairing of the Bifrost 2 and RME with the V280/281 since you listened to both. These are two similar priced dacs which are very compared. There is even a tread for it in the new forum called "the headphone community". You said you liked the the bifrost more, could you explain more?

@Relaxasaurus Does the RME signature change much when chosing for example the NOS or slow filter with V280 (more fuller sound)? Does it colours a bit the V280 sound or not?
Hope you still get to make the big Dac comparision including the Bifrost 2 you said you where going to do in the future. Great videos.

May 25, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #510 of 1,098
No, the V380 is a DAC/AMP. The V280's successor, the standalone amp, has a different number. You will find out soon.

The RME offers a lot of functions which you should make use of if you buy it, else it's a waste if you don't. Bifrost 2 has better tone/timbre, imaging, better bass definition and power and staging offers much more depth and layering. Real instruments have greater weight and body and you will love the density of their tone.

Bifrost 2 is very bare bones though, only offers 3 inputs and a polarity switch. No pre amp function, no AES. However USB quality is outstanding.
Bifrost 2 is best when listening to Redbook because the closed form filter works best with 44,1 and 48khz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back