Violectric DAC V850 - General Discussion and Impressions Thread
Sep 21, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #301 of 588
Yes it might be a fault with the USB chip on the device, as 44.1 / 88.2 works fine through optical for me. Supposedly the v850 has the same USB XMOS chip as the upgraded RS 05. I tested the USB on the v850 under the same conditions and no problems.

Just tried kernel streaming in foobar2000, same problem with RS 05. Thx anyway zhgutov, will be useful in the future :).

Edit: Say, zhgutov, have you tried USB with your RS 05? Do you have the upgraded USB option installed? Is it throwing errors with 44.1kHz multiples?

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #302 of 588
have you tried USB with your RS 05? Do you have the upgraded USB option installed? Is it throwing errors with 44.1kHz multiples?
Yes, I tried it with RS 05, but with Mac only (in this case it works fine). Previously I used USB on PC some time with V800 on Windows 8.1 and 10.
Sometimes (rarely, occassionally) it produced an errors (red indicator, no matter which sample rate is used), in this case I just reconnected the USB.
Actually, I think it is not the best idea to use ASIO with this devices, because probably it is implemented over the Windows mixer.
At least, as I remember, if I disable all devices in the Control Panel, ASIO will not work, but kernel streaming will!
I don't have X-MOS option, my PCB was taken from V800 (v2). It is "upgraded" 24/192 TENOR 8802, but it is discontinued now, as I can see.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #304 of 588
Nope, too afraid I might break something or void the warranty.

Arthur is getting in contact with Fried on the issue. I've provided detailed information on the problem and hopefully I can get a replacement unit and just ship the problem one back in the box the new one comes in. I enjoy the new sound so much; would suck to have to send this one back and wait for the new one to arrive.

Sep 21, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #305 of 588
Nope, too afraid I might break something or void the warranty.
Well, I think, this is not the case to loose the warranty. Such operations are desired and described in manual.
If you afraid to break something inside V850 with probably bad USB PCB from RS 05, I think you can install PCB from V850 to RS 05 only.
Just to check if the bad USB PCB is the case. These PCBs have three screws and one ribbon cable to detach. But I do not insist actually.

Sep 21, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #306 of 588
It looks like Arthur could be sending me a new PCB for the RS 05, so I'll need to replace the PCB anyway. I've already tinkered inside the v850 to increase the gain to +18dbu, so maybe it won't be so bad with the RS 05.

Sep 24, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #308 of 588
I've also noticed that on the RS 05 upsampling 2x or 4x makes for a drier, leaner, and more analytical sound while x1 makes for a wetter, more lush sound. Very interesting :).

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #310 of 588
Yes, I had the filter already set to sharp :). There seems to be less of a difference between sharp and smooth on the v850 (I prefer sharp, sounds slightly more micro-dynamic) than between the up-sampling modes on the RS 05.

Sep 24, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #311 of 588
Yes, I had the filter already set to sharp :). There seems to be less of a difference between sharp and smooth on the v850 (I prefer sharp, sounds slightly more micro-dynamic) than between the up-sampling modes on the RS 05.
Hm, interesting. I don't have such difference in my case. If there is any, it is negligible.
But I can hear the difference between digital filters, and prefer sharp too.
Actually, RS 05 (SRC4392) always applies some kind of elliptic (probably) filter, even when the sampling rate is the same.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #312 of 588
Hmmm, I'm cycling through the options on the RS 05 and I'm not hearing the differences I thought I heard before. Could have been my brain playing tricks on me as I'm listening to different parts of songs :flushed:. Still getting acclimated to the sound I'm sure too :L3000:.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #313 of 588
I think the RS05 was made with the DAC RS06 in mind, as it lacks the volume pot and multiple oversampling options the V850 already has.

@zghutov

If memory serves me correct, I think the V850 also has digital filters that you can change.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #314 of 588
RS 05 is a resampling unit. It is not limited to upsampling.
It can be used to convert sampling rate, so downsampling is also possible.
There are more functions like 24 or 16 bit output, professional/consumer format etc..
This unit can be also used to generate word clock signal to syncronize devices in a studio environment.
So, RS 06 is only one of all possible use cases, like V800 or V850.

Resampling normally contains some filter/interpolation to prevent aliasing.
V850 always applies its own filter to the incoming signal (during D/A conversion), which is situated in the DAC chips (PCM1795).
You can choose "sharp" or "slow" filters here. This filters are situated after the internal or external resampling.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2017 at 6:55 PM Post #315 of 588
Well, I just made some pictures to get an idea of the resampling quality inside DAT RS 05.
This "measurements" are made with the USB loopback (TENOR 8802 PCB).
Analysis is performed for the signal downsampled from 96 to 44.1 kHz.
Here you can see small previews, click to open larger versions.

THD+N (L @ 0 dB FS, R @ -60 dB FS, noise floor is limited by FFT size):

FFT for sweep tone:

Impulse response:

Test signals are taken from http://src.infinitewave.ca/

The same resampling module (SRC4392) is inside RS 06, V800 and V850.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back