Vinyl Flat's "Can Opener" - Any info???
Mar 23, 2013 at 4:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

mrscotchguy

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,  

So can anyone tell me about this: http://vinylflat.com/canopener.html

I bought it a couple months ago since I couldn't find a single bit of info on it.  I noticed with a low power amp it sounds like trash as well as clips at higher volumes.  I hooked it up to my Onkyo receiver and was surprised by the sound I was getting out of it. Granted I am using my Bifrost>>GF B-283mkii path.  The tubes really warm things up.  I am super happy with the purchase, but haven't really compared it to my Asgard.

Mar 24, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #2 of 23
Tell you what about it? It's looks to be some resistors and terminals in a nice box - unless I'm missing something. They don't seem to state what the resistor values are, but if it's not playing nice with smaller amplifiers, I'd guess they're relatively large.

Here's the theory:
http://sound.westhost.com/project100.htm

This isn't to say such a box is a "bad" thing; it's actually how a lot of receivers/integrated amplifiers/stereo amplifiers have their headphone jacks wired up - and it's a fine way to drive headphones. $80 doesn't seem that bad given that it probably has "extras" like a warranty and customer service, and it looks a lot neater than some resistors and wire in a project box. :)

Mar 24, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #3 of 23
Quote:
Tell you what about it? It's looks to be some resistors and terminals in a nice box - unless I'm missing something. They don't seem to state what the resistor values are, but if it's not playing nice with smaller amplifiers, I'd guess they're relatively large.

Here's the theory:
http://sound.westhost.com/project100.htm

This isn't to say such a box is a "bad" thing; it's actually how a lot of receivers/integrated amplifiers/stereo amplifiers have their headphone jacks wired up - and it's a fine way to drive headphones. $80 doesn't seem that bad given that it probably has "extras" like a warranty and customer service, and it looks a lot neater than some resistors and wire in a project box.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you for your reply.  I am not quite sure what sort of answer I was expecting.  More so thoughts and opinion, really.  Pretty sure I got it for $70 before the price went up (cables included too!).  Either way I am satisfied.  I can tell you the sound from the "Can Opener" is most certainly superior to the front of my Onkyo.  My tube buffer never really had a home, but the Onkyo>>B-283mkii>>Can Opener is a fun combo.

Maybe I will opener up and take some pictures...

Mar 24, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #4 of 23
Thank you for your reply.  I am not quite sure what sort of answer I was expecting.  More so thoughts and opinion, really.  Pretty sure I got it for $70 before the price went up (cables included too!).  Either way I am satisfied.  I can tell you the sound from the "Can Opener" is most certainly superior to the front of my Onkyo.  My tube buffer never really had a home, but the Onkyo>>B-283mkii>>Can Opener is a fun combo.

Maybe I will opener up and take some pictures...

That's not bad at all - $70 for a nice box, with nice connectors (and I'm assuming it's put together like a tank on the inside too), and cables. :)

And yeah, it isn't surprising that you dig it more than the headphone jack on the Onkyo - I should've qualified with "receivers" that I meant stereo receivers, not explicitly AV receivers (some of them don't actually drive the headphone jack from the amplifier, they just have a cheapo opamp thrown in there to provide a headphone jack...:ph34r:). OTOH, it may just be that the part values in the Can Opener are providing a certain degree of coloration that the Onkyo isn't, and that's what you're digging (I'm assuming you're doing the listening with the HD 580 in your sig, which are relatively reactive).

Mar 24, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #5 of 23
Actually, I have soo many headphones currently, that I forgot to use those on it!  Thank you for reminding me!

I love my modded t50rps so much I keep getting distracted.  The FA-011 like my Schiit Stack better, but my Grados are liking the receiver/tube combo (no channel imbalance from the cheap volume pots).

*Edit: After listening for a bit, I have noticed that the can-combo warms up the hd580s just a bit too much as well as adds soundstage.  HD580s do not need any help in that area!  I will have to say, they really add something to the T50rps though!

Mar 29, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:
I'd love to hear more about this thing. Do you think it would work on my Line Magnetic 216IA integrated tube amp? It's 38W and has no headphone jack. :frowning2:

I am no expert, so I don't want to say yes and it not work for you.  I ran the Can Opener from a Dayton T-Amp and it crackled, artifacted, and clipped at high volumes.  Like Obob suggested, this unit probably has a high resistance.  My Onkyo is just an entry tier AV receiver, and it sounds darn good for what it is mixed with my tube buffer.  

Your best bet is to contact Vinyl Flat and ask your questions, the guy was prompt and helpful for me.  Keep in mind, if you are currently running speakers with your integrated amp, running the Can Opener will defeat the purpose of  having speakers.  It works in my configuration because I use the "B" channel to power the C.O. when not listening to speakers connected to the "A" channel.    I switch in between channels to avoid damage by underpowering my equipment.  If your amp is only being employed as a preamp, then this would be an idea option.  I believe Vinyl Flat has a return policy too.

Hope that clears a few of your questions up.  

Jun 16, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #9 of 23
Bumping old thread. The column 'The Entry Level' in Stereophile just wrote about the Vinyl Flat Can Opener. I'm not sure what OP defines as low powered amps. It was tested with a NAD C316BEE with favorable results. I think for $80 this thing is worth trying out... I built one of these DIY out of parts from Radio Shack but I don't really understand much about resistor values and I could never get much play out of the volume knob before I was blowing my ears out, and I was using rather inefficient K701s. 

Jun 17, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:
Bumping old thread. The column 'The Entry Level' in Stereophile just wrote about the Vinyl Flat Can Opener. I'm not sure what OP defines as low powered amps. It was tested with a NAD C316BEE with favorable results. I think for $80 this thing is worth trying out... I built one of these DIY out of parts from Radio Shack but I don't really understand much about resistor values and I could never get much play out of the volume knob before I was blowing my ears out, and I was using rather inefficient K701s. 

Thanks for the update, do you have a link by chance?

As for the "low power amp" I was referring to the RMS power rating coming out of an amp.  I used a "50W" Dayton T-Amp to power the Can Opener.  It just could not feed enough power.  In order to power headphones with enough volume for casual listening, the output would start to distort with the oh so wonderful snap, crackle, pops.  To ensure it wasn't the Can Opener, I connected it to my Onkyo receiver's "B" speaker outs and have a fairly decent sounding secondary headphone amp.  You can bypass the receiver's DAC by using an RCA input that doesn't use any of the receiver's filters.  By using a splitter out of my BiFrost, I could A/B the sound from my Onkyo>(Optional Tube Buffer)>Can Opener vs my Asgard.  Get a cable extender and use the AVR's remote -- this is a super simple bedtime setup that can be shut down or put on a sleep timer.  Additionally, the Onkyo has a huge room for upgradabiltiy by using the Bluetooth/wifi dongle to connect the receiver to an ipad/homenetwork.  It's a fun setup for how cheap it is.

Jul 15, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #11 of 23
My "Can Opener" arrives Tuesday. My first two tests will involve testing it with my AKG K701 and Pioneer SE-A1000s. Initially, I will compare my Pioneer Elite SC-55 to my Crown XTi-1000. I will use the SC-55 as the DAC, while with the Crown I will use a Roland Quad-Capture interface as the DAC and I will use balanced connections. In the long run, I intend to write a proper review of the Can Opener including an examination of its potential when used with high-end amplification.

Jul 15, 2013 at 5:08 AM Post #12 of 23

Thanks for the update, do you have a link by chance?

As for the "low power amp" I was referring to the RMS power rating coming out of an amp.  I used a "50W" Dayton T-Amp to power the Can Opener.  It just could not feed enough power.  In order to power headphones with enough volume for casual listening, the output would start to distort with the oh so wonderful snap, crackle, pops.  To ensure it wasn't the Can Opener, I connected it to my Onkyo receiver's "B" speaker outs and have a fairly decent sounding secondary headphone amp.  You can bypass the receiver's DAC by using an RCA input that doesn't use any of the receiver's filters.  By using a splitter out of my BiFrost, I could A/B the sound from my Onkyo>(Optional Tube Buffer)>Can Opener vs my Asgard.  Get a cable extender and use the AVR's remote -- this is a super simple bedtime setup that can be shut down or put on a sleep timer.  Additionally, the Onkyo has a huge room for upgradabiltiy by using the Bluetooth/wifi dongle to connect the receiver to an ipad/homenetwork.  It's a fun setup for how cheap it is.

AFAIK, T-amps (and some tube amps) object violently to having their left and right grounds connected together....

Aug 13, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #13 of 23
Any reviews on this?

Aug 14, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #15 of 23
Thanks. Good review

Users who are viewing this thread

Back