Vinyl Corner. Music, Gear, Experiences.
Nov 9, 2021 at 6:32 AM Post #376 of 2,710
Hi guys,

I found out that it is possible to get Pro-Ject turntables for a good price in our country. What do you say? What combination of turntable + phono preamp for somewhere around 1500 €?

And one more thing: I'm currently listening to Art Pepper - Meets The Rhythm Section. In the "digi version".
I’m looking at Discogs.com .... Is there really such a big difference in sound quality between a record from Analogue Production and say Contemporary Records? Because there is a big difference in price.

regards,
Simon
Hi guys,

I found out that it is possible to get Pro-Ject turntables for a good price in our country. What do you say? What combination of turntable + phono preamp for somewhere around 1500 €?

And one more thing: I'm currently listening to Art Pepper - Meets The Rhythm Section. In the "digi version".
I’m looking at Discogs.com .... Is there really such a big difference in sound quality between a record from Analogue Production and say Contemporary Records? Because there is a big difference in price.

regards,
Simon
Not easy to come up with definite answer but…..
I would strongly suggest going with Pro-Ject Debut PRO. As far as phonostage goes…..? Though one.
Because I could suggest something from higher end selection but cartridge on that table is capable of only so much…. So, I would start with something inexpensive (iFi Zen) to get you rolling and leave cartridge/phono upgrade for say another year or so. That’s approximately lifespan of your stock cartridge (if you play LPs often).

I think that combo will make you very happy.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021 at 6:41 AM Post #377 of 2,710
Khruangbing is an amazing band based in USA, very easy to listen and amazing for relaxed sessions. You can spin these tunes for the majority of the people and they will enjoy them. You should really check their newer release "Con Todo el Mundo" it is just as good if not better

These are okey for LP's and do enjoy electronic bands like Massive Attack - > Mezzanine release. Simply an audio nirvana to me over turntable. With other electronica though I do love to go to the dark places when I'm in the mood, "Identified Patient", "Helena Hauf" , "Tzusing"...brings me back to my early raving days in Berlin factories & warehouses. Digital format somehow has more bite to it and sounds more aggressive, even though the bass is more present with LP.

I see that FYFL is a lot into jazz and that's an acquired taste... I have small/odd jazz collection but to me it is usually too complex and tiring for longer listening sessions.

I can't even fit my favorite tracks into some sort of genre. It is weird/trippy electronica or acoustic music with mx of jazz and other elements
This is one of my favourite LP compilation release of all time -->

I think you should be able to find whole LP in spotify/youtube. Agnes Obel - Late night tales

Pretty cool.
And to be honest, when it comes to Jazz, it gets easier with time and a little curiosity about performers and history behind it. I would advice to start there first to understand where it all is coming from. It’s complex for sure but once you get it, it’s hard not to appreciate it.
Ofcause it’s not the only thing I listen to. I enjoy all of it. Every genre got its own diamonds that are pleasure to listen to and experience.

And yes, that’s how I would describe Khruangbing band. Very easy to listen to. Very relaxing. Too bad LP mastering was just so so, because it had potential to sound spectacular.

Nov 9, 2021 at 6:47 AM Post #378 of 2,710
Agnes Obel is awesome. I think I’ll get her LP. Blue Note sells it as well. I don’t think they made it but if they support it, it has to be good. As far as quality is concern. I know that music will be top notch so I’m not stressing about that.
She did some collaboration with Hania Rani, my favorite young pianist from Poland. I think she started getting some of her albums on LP as well. I would buy it in a hearth beat but I’m a little concerned about quality. No clue who is behind it.

Nov 9, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #379 of 2,710
Another option for those looking to get into Vinyl would be the Technics SL1500C, has a reasonable phono stage built in as well as standard output jacks, comes with the Ortofon 2M Red cartridge and the detachable headshell is handy for those new to swapping cartridges when the time comes, can still experiment with various phono amps at a later stage and if you decide to upgrade it should still fetch a reasonable price when selling on …

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #380 of 2,710
I like that Technics as well. Removable headshell is a plus but might still have to adj VTA since variations between cartridges.
Price is the lowest among direct drive Technics turntable which is tempting. I think it’s a good turntable overall. It’s weakest link is build-in phonostage. Which in my opinion, is below avarage.
Debute Pro with iFI Zen totals $1200. That gives you some room to accessorize (good cleaning machine would make a good investment) or add to the budget for future upgrades. Or a dozen of quality records. :wink:

Nov 9, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #381 of 2,710
“Blade Runner” soundtrack could be very interesting on vinyl. For one, it was mastered by Kevin Gray. Two, dynamic range was preserved and low frequency of mid 20Hz should really be able to test your system.
Here’s a short clip of K. Gray talking about it:

Nov 9, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #382 of 2,710
Argument for and against half-speed master. From K. Gray (no introduction needed) and counter argument from Miles Showell from Abbey Road Studios who still use this technique quite regularly.
I will leave it for your own interpretation and remove my own biases from weighting in on this topic.

K. Gray

V.S
Abbey Road Studios

Nov 9, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #383 of 2,710
“Blade Runner” soundtrack could be very interesting on vinyl. For one, it was mastered by Kevin Gray. Two, dynamic range was preserved and low frequency of mid 20Hz should really be able to test your system.
Here’s a short clip of K. Gray talking about it:

Mid 20’s ?
Listen to some orchestral music playing alongside a full pipe organ, good way to find any loose stuff around the house ….
Windows, roof tiles … Lol

Nov 9, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #384 of 2,710
Khruangbing is an amazing band based in USA, very easy to listen and amazing for relaxed sessions. You can spin these tunes for the majority of the people and they will enjoy them. You should really check their newer release "Con Todo el Mundo" it is just as good if not better

These are okey for LP's and do enjoy electronic bands like Massive Attack - > Mezzanine release. Simply an audio nirvana to me over turntable. With other electronica though I do love to go to the dark places when I'm in the mood, "Identified Patient", "Helena Hauf" , "Tzusing"...brings me back to my early raving days in Berlin factories & warehouses. Digital format somehow has more bite to it and sounds more aggressive, even though the bass is more present with LP.

I see that FYFL is a lot into jazz and that's an acquired taste... I have small/odd jazz collection but to me it is usually too complex and tiring for longer listening sessions.

I can't even fit my favorite tracks into some sort of genre. It is weird/trippy electronica or acoustic music with mx of jazz and other elements
This is one of my favourite LP compilation release of all time -->

I think you should be able to find whole LP in spotify/youtube. Agnes Obel - Late night tales

This Agnes Obel compilation is simply stunning! One of my favorites too. When I play this When Nora Dean is on in the workshop my partner looks at me weary and says 'no comment :wink:'. Real hard to find selections on it. I did find Sibyle Baier and, on vinyl 'Nancy & Lee' (Hazelwood). So far. The Greek singeres Leni Platonos is sooo great. And Michele Gurevitch.

Of course Mezzanine is an all time classic (more of my partners/colleagues taste). And if you like well recorded Yello is always super. Swiss precision.

And Vangelis... What can I say, I've been a fan of him forever (already in Aphrodites Child). And Jon and Vangelis. That's how I got the virus.

You guys know how to tick my boxes. :xf_cool:

For finding loose panels in the house I recommend Ryuichi Sakamoto and/or/with Alva Noto. Makes my windows rattle. My Genesis VI speakers reach down to 20Hz.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #385 of 2,710
This Agnes Obel compilation is simply stunning! One of my favorites too. When I play this When Nora Dean is on in the workshop my partner looks at me weary and says 'no comment :wink:'. Real hard to find selections on it. I did find Sibyle Baier and, on vinyl 'Nancy & Lee' (Hazelwood). So far. The Greek singeres Leni Platonos is sooo great. And Michele Gurevitch.

Of course Mezzanine is an all time classic (more of my partners/colleagues taste). And if you like well recorded Yello is always super. Swiss precision.

And Vangelis... What can I say, I've been a fan of him forever (already in Aphrodites Child). And Jon and Vangelis. That's how I got the virus.

For finding loose panels in the house I recommend Ryuichi Sakamoto and/or/with Alva Noto. Makes my windows rattle. My Genesis VI speakers reach down to 20Hz.
I will have to look into your window replacement program selection. :wink:

Nov 9, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #386 of 2,710
PS
Neither of my speakers go down that low.
(down to 34Hz)
Never had good luck or skill to seamlessly integrate sub(s) into my system.

Nov 9, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #387 of 2,710
B&W PV1D does a good job in my 2 channel system and software programming via supplied laptop cable makes it much easier to integrate,
With the crossover set to x 0.7 of the mains -3db of 32hz point you wouldn’t think there would be much output, but there is, and not always on tracks you would think, mainstream stuff can have no cone movement until you go with something like Daft Punk, Billie Eilish or The Weeknd but also a lot of good acoustic recordings have more real, low bass than you would expect …

Nov 9, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #388 of 2,710

Vangelis fan here too, Antartica soundtrack is one of my favourites …
Jarré’s “Aero” was an interesting album too, digital version came with CD plus DVD versions with Dolby digital and DTS more fun than serious listening, but it showcased what could be done when music is specifically mastered for multichannel systems ..

Nov 9, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #389 of 2,710
B&W PV1D does a good job in my 2 channel system and software programming via supplied laptop cable makes it much easier to integrate,
With the crossover set to x 0.7 of the mains -3db of 32hz point you wouldn’t think there would be much output, but there is, and not always on tracks you would think, mainstream stuff can have no cone movement until you go with something like Daft Punk, Billie Eilish or The Weeknd but also a lot of good acoustic recordings have more real, low bass than you would expect …
Is there an easy way to integrate it with my minimalistic linestage?
Rel were the only subs that I have experience with in stereo system.
I’m not counting Definitive Technology that was part of my HT rig. Which was strictly used for .1 effect channel.

Nov 9, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #390 of 2,710
Better integration with speaker level connections than line level, as the Sub amp is using the exact same input from the power amp that the speaker sees .. fine tuning can be done by laptop from the listening chair but I found the recommended setting worked fine…
Trying to integrate one of my Velodyne subs in a similar way never quite worked out and resulted in sub output overlapping the mains far too much and “muddying “ the low mids under 100hz or so,
With the B&W the main speakers sound exactly the same with the sub off or on in regards to separation, depth and imaging but gained a nice sense of extension and “weight” with the Sub on ….

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back