Vinyl Corner. Music, Gear, Experiences.
Apr 8, 2024 at 12:16 AM Post #2,701 of 2,710
Just a small update. I mounted the $10 AT3600 and put the signal through the Douk Audio T13 mini. That means another cable to the phono, the standard 5pin cable for the Acoustic Signature arm.. The hum was totally gone. I ran the T13 from a USB powerbank. A €10 cart on a €73 phono. It sounded really good. Really really good. Very even and balanced. Real synergy. Not super detailed or spacious but in essence what music should sound like.

I gave it as a present today to the friend I made a super cheap setup for. She had a bad traffic accident (drunk on the road, head-on collision) and will be affected for life. So I thought this better than a fruit basket. She's was very happy with it.

I just like, when I assemble a set, it to sound really good. I don't like to do a half job. I repaired the my speakers (my, as in; designed and made by me) that for damages in a hasty move. It's always nice if friends help you move, but they're not always as careful as they should be. I think it's nice to help young people to get up to speed. We compared her speakers to my speakers (siblings as it were) and she is really pleased with them. She also commented on my 'loaners' (also modified by me). It fun to hear 'noobs' who claim to know or hear nothing characterize it exactly right.

Next up fix a loaner TT and an old subwoofer. I also got a $7 dac so now they can play tv over the Douk T13 mini phono (the extra aux) to the speakers. It's just fun to get such cheap gear and with the right knowledge to get it to sound really good. Very satisfying.

Apr 10, 2024 at 11:25 PM Post #2,702 of 2,710
Just in I mounted the 0.8mV Zhige cartridge. I had to dismount 2 cartridges and rearrange things so I could put this on the cheap Douk Audio T13 plus (and the mono Miyajima on the 12" arm). I put the T13 plus on MC and 200 Ω. And whaddayaknow...It reached normal level without turning up my amp. And it sounds like a promise. I'm just playing 5m and I miss bass. But it's quiet and it sounds good. Not like my other arm. This is low budget, real low budget. And it works. It sounds smoother that the other Douk with the AT3600. And airier. It needs more playtime to accurately judge this combination but for just under €300 for phono+MC... Not bad. Not bad at all..

Apr 11, 2024 at 8:58 AM Post #2,703 of 2,710
A chinese MC cartridge on an italian deck, but it sounds superb 👌

IMG_9147.jpeg

Apr 11, 2024 at 1:22 PM Post #2,704 of 2,710
Not surprising. That's an expensive cartridge from a 'German brand'. It's the same as Ecxsoni OEMs. They don't disclose their OEM but for the most they are honest about them.
Sapphire cantilever. Yum.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2024 at 1:45 PM Post #2,705 of 2,710
I just received the latest cartridge (probably not the last 😋) together with a luxury headshell. It's the nude ebony (better not google that term) low output version (0.4V) super elliptical. I thought it would be mounted, but no. Two seperate boxes, which is fine with me.
IMG_20240412_190640.jpg

IMG_20240412_195128.jpg
IMG_20240412_195309.jpg

This cartridge plus headhell was €240. The headshell has adjustable azimuth and silver plated wires. Very sturdy and a far cry from the cheap Technics clones and others that twist under stress. On its own it's €55.
That makes this a very affordable cartridge. And it looks very well made.

What makes it easy for mounting: if I take another head and measure the distance from stylus to collar and make sure it's the same with any cartridge I mount (so the overhang is all the same) then all I need to do is put it on straight. Then it's exactly on Nearesld or Lofgren, whatever you prefer. And how easy to check this cantilever sticking out.

IMG_20240413_021908.jpg

And away we go.
First record was one that I got from a friend who cleared his attic. U2's Joshua Tree. I played it first on the Douk T13 plus. And it already sounded very good. A bit grainy on the voice but nice presence. It even had good bass. And space. In a quick cable swap I changed it over to the Gold Note PH10 (still on the cheap arm) and it sounded really good. Already after 30m of total use. Its just a great cartridge. Groove noise was very low, thanks to the super elliptical. That means this deserves a better arm and phono than budget level. Forget headshells, get a straight arm with fixed headshell and decent wiring (try Cardas or Origin Live continuous loom).

IMG_20240413_061121.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2024 at 2:30 PM Post #2,706 of 2,710
I fot my latest vinyl order in. I didn't realise iMusic was in Denmark. They had many records that I couldn't find on Amazon and elsewhere. And after they collected the whole order (took 2 weeks) they sent the whole stack. Very well packed postage free. Worked exemplary. I vastly prefer this over Amazon where they sent every package seperate either in a bag or double boxed in a huge box. And everytime you have to stay home for the delivery.

IMG_20240413_174835.jpg

IMG_20240413_174950.jpg

IMG_20240413_175359.jpg

IMG_20240413_174552.jpg

These were all hard to find. Highly recommended. And six more, Moloko, Air , Shpongle, Interstellar OST, Fatboy Slim and Leftfield.
Lots of special editions. Which is fine if <2000 per batch.

Apr 18, 2024 at 1:10 PM Post #2,707 of 2,710
Bonjour à tous, voici ce que j'ai reçu aujourd'hui, une nouvelle cellule Zhige rouge avec bobine argentée et impédance de sortie 4 ohms 0,35 mv et séparation stéréo à 32 dB. Je l'ai placé sur mon Reloop turn 5 réglé à 1,8gr. Impression très large de la scène avec mon préampli phono Line Magnetic LP 33. Beaucoup de détails sur les micro informations comme la sonnerie des cymbales du tambour, les cloches, le carillon. Le stylet est en céramique avec un diamant super elliptique nu. Cette cartouche sonne vraiment fantastique après seulement 1 heure et continue de s'améliorer.

Attachments

• IMG_20240418_095928.jpg
    IMG_20240418_095928.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240418_173855.jpg
    IMG_20240418_173855.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240418_173823.jpg
    IMG_20240418_173823.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240418_173716.jpg
    IMG_20240418_173716.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240418_191759.jpg
    IMG_20240418_191759.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Apr 19, 2024 at 12:04 AM Post #2,708 of 2,710
I have the same one and its really remarkable! Only the packaging is really strange. Normally they use the bolts to fix it in the box.

I had a good day today. I installed a new Douk phonostage and a cheap Neoteck DAC for a friend (the one you can see above) and everything worked fine. A big upgrade. A really simple €7 dac but still a decent AKM to the extra aux input on the Douk T4 phono. I had to install it because I made a custom bamboo shelf for the turntable with the amp + PS+ phono built in.
The turntable sounds a lot better now and watching Netflix is now on another level. Just that one extra input makes all the difference

Apr 19, 2024 at 1:23 AM Post #2,709 of 2,710
Il y a comme une tige qu'il faut retirer avec un outil d'horloger pour bracelets de montre qui se situe en haut à l'avant de la cartouche, puis avec un tout petit tournevis cruciforme, dévisser la petite vis cruciforme qui se situe vers l'arrière des contacts électriques . Puis la coque en ébène se décolle.

J'ai le même et c'est vraiment remarquable ! Seul l'emballage est vraiment étrange. Normalement, ils utilisent les boulons pour le fixer dans la boîte.

J'ai passé une bonne journée aujourd'hui. J'ai installé un nouveau phonostage Douk et un DAC Neoteck pas cher pour un ami (celui que vous pouvez voir ci-dessus) et tout a bien fonctionné. Une grosse mise à niveau. Un dac très simple à 7 € mais toujours un AKM décent pour l'entrée auxiliaire supplémentaire du phono Douk T4. J'ai dû l'installer car j'ai réalisé une étagère en bambou sur mesure pour la platine vinyle avec l'ampli + PS+ phono intégré.
Le son du tourne-disque est bien meilleur maintenant et regarder Netflix est désormais à un autre niveau. Une seule entrée supplémentaire fait toute la différence
Le mien est également venu avec les boulons fixés, c'est moi qui l'ai démonté, j'ai pris la photo après. Pour l'instant je n'ai que 1h30 d'utilisation.

Apr 19, 2024 at 6:55 AM Post #2,710 of 2,710
Ah. D'accord. C'est pas moi, c'est toi. 😋

I played some of the new LP's I recently bought. It wasn't easy to find Dominique Fils Aimee's (n'est ce 'fille Aimee'?) 'stay tuned' but I think it's her masterpiece so far. Although I haven't heard her latest yet (the green cover). Really great ambiance and that Acoustic bass goes deep. A wonderful recording. But I'm not really convinced about the mastering. But I just had to have it if only for the cover photo. That is just stunning. As is the music, but I also have it on high res PCM (that sounds better?). Indeed; stay tuned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back