Vinyl Corner. Music, Gear, Experiences.
Nov 8, 2021 at 6:08 AM Post #346 of 2,710
All these wonderful discoveries that come back to bite us all later, Radium, glow in the dark watch faces etc, what happened to those who painted them, adding Lead to fuel to raise its octane number, same guy discovered a replacement for Ammonia in air conditioning systems, R12 or CFC …
Good idea at the time ?

Nov 8, 2021 at 6:41 AM Post #347 of 2,710
Oddly shaped speakers but I see the functionality. Optically they draw a lot of attention but I bet when you close your eyes they completely disappear.

Their shape probably contributes a lot to handling standing waves inside enclosures and looks rather nice, like an instrument of sort :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Nov 8, 2021 at 6:42 AM Post #348 of 2,710
It’s the convenience that’s most appealing with digital. Great for discovering new music or casual listening.
However, if working with limited budget, I would prioritize and focus on what matters most. If analog is the priority, that’s where most of the money should go. And as we mentioned before, good analog isn’t cheap. Basic digital front end can be had for super cheap these days to complement analog journey.
Personally, I listen to a lot of old jazz, blues. Some classics too.
And a lot of old recordings don’t sound good through Tidal. It's a little better from my hard drive.
But as far as I was able to hear from my friends, the old jazz albums over the turntable sounded very good.

regards,
Simon

Nov 8, 2021 at 7:04 AM Post #349 of 2,710
Their shape probably contributes a lot to handling standing waves inside enclosures and looks rather nice, like an instrument of sort :)
Two schools of thought there too, we can have “industrial looking” cabinets as inert as is possible so what we hear comes solely from the drivers or tune the cabinets by design the way an instrument maker would design an acoustic guitar, violin etc, the latter usually have a far better WAF when you have speakers that look like furniture or artworks …

Nov 8, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #350 of 2,710
And a lot of old recordings don’t sound good through Tidal. It's a little better from my hard drive.
But as far as I was able to hear from my friends, the old jazz albums over the turntable sounded very good.

regards,
Simon
I’ve always thought that Vinyl was better value, a $1,000 turntable based system usually sounds better than a $1,000 DAC/streamer based one, multiply both figures by 10 and it can get a lot closer …
Double or treble that again and you get a free token for the turnstile at the entrance to the rabbit hole … 😳😬

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2021 at 7:31 AM Post #351 of 2,710
All these wonderful discoveries that come back to bite us all later, Radium, glow in the dark watch faces etc, what happened to those who painted them, adding Lead to fuel to raise its octane number, same guy discovered a replacement for Ammonia in air conditioning systems, R12 or CFC …
Good idea at the time ?
Oh, and open mercury bath contacts! Wasn’t there a Unipivot tone arm that used one of those? Very low friction!

Nov 8, 2021 at 7:34 AM Post #352 of 2,710
It was the Keith Monks tonearm…

Nov 8, 2021 at 7:36 AM Post #353 of 2,710
Presumably best used for listening to heavy metal…😂

Nov 8, 2021 at 7:46 AM Post #355 of 2,710
…or anything on the Mercury Living Presence label.

Nov 8, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #357 of 2,710
Dental hygiene doesn't compute into an audiophile budget anyway. Q-tips on the other hand,....... essential.

Nov 8, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #358 of 2,710

regards,
Simon
Bernie Grundman and K. Gray do a bunch of remastering of Bebop Jazz from 50's-60's. According to them. When they remaster a title (for vinyl), they also include digital counterpart for streaming services and hi-res masters for archives. I assume, those remastered titles "should" sound pretty good. But honestly, I have not made that comparison. But in general, your findings are pretty accurate. There's a ton of great sounding Jazz or Classical records from that era. And they can be easily found in $1, $5, $10 bins. Especially, Classical music. Mono records can also sound amazing in the right setup. Those can be fund for dirt cheap. Even if scratched, chances are that information deeper down the grove is pristine. That's where mono cartridge gets information from anyway.

Nov 8, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #359 of 2,710

Nov 8, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #360 of 2,710
Already mentioned ifi Zen phono gets thumbs up review. On a budget? Check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back