Vintage Philips N6330: sextett look-alike made in Austria by AKG
Jun 2, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #31 of 37
I'm now listening to them with my replacement SRH840's pads (they don't fit, the clamp keeps them here) and they sound great.
I will probably order the K240's ones from Thomann. I believe you didn't like the velvet pads for the Sextetts, IIRC?

(as for 2) I'm using a FiiO E9 who works great for my K601's)

Jun 2, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #32 of 37
I didn't liked the AKG velvet pads, because of the poor fit.
New K240 vinyl pads will do them justice.

For my current K240 Sextett LP, I'll use flat and worn out DT770 velour ear pads. Works great as well.

BTW: the K601 are 120 Ohm and 101 dB.....

Jun 2, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #33 of 37
I know, even I could ear the difference when I tried the N6330's directly from my receiver, the horror... the horror...  But it's satisfying out of the E9; (I was refering to the k601's because they both need to go around 9'o clock, although I don't know if that really means something).

Thanks for the tips anyway.

Jun 12, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #34 of 37
I just bought AKG vinyl ear pads from www.musicstore.com.
And I must admit, the Sextett sounds the best with their original pads.

Nov 18, 2011 at 8:00 AM Post #35 of 37
Just got them (philips) ehm... 4 of them. I agree with most opinions here, they are very involving with nice bass and beautiful midrange.

Build quality is a little bit better than Sextetts - metal springs instead of elastics!

Just finished refoaming one of them and will post later the sound diffrence: old foams vs refoamed ones.

Nov 16, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #36 of 37
Got another one, This time the MD.
But the right side isn't working, and the left side only when I don't move the cable
angry_face.gif

Did anyone of you took them apart for a resolder?
And how hard is this.
More or less the same as described in this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/279905/taking-the-k240-sextett-apart-step-by-step ?

Nov 23, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #37 of 37
Yup, it's more or less the same as with the AKG Sextett.
I took this N 6330 apart, and thanks to the soldering skills of my oldest son, it's working again.

Ah, those butterly smooth mids, I did miss them.
And ouch, that death grip on my head.
Well, you can't have it all I guess.

Edit: the metal band can be bended outwards with brutal force. It relieves the clamp somewhat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back