Vintage OG and Present Day TOTL Impressions
Feb 28, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #946 of 1,520
Every time you brought up Valkyria it always brings back my desire to get one. But I’m concerned about the weight though, since 1266 TC caused me some neck pain 😓
I can't speak to weight as I have zero issue with the 1266, Valkyria are comfortable but I would recommend you try before you cry. :wink:

I would outright recommend you keep yourself out of neck pain. But audiophiles are crazy.

Feb 28, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #947 of 1,520
I can't speak to weight as I have zero issue with the 1266, Valkyria are comfortable but I would recommend you try before you cry. :wink:

I would outright recommend you keep yourself out of neck pain. But audiophiles are crazy.
I would most likely cry 😂

Feb 28, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #949 of 1,520
Entirely possible. Gulp. Need to get the T2 first, though.

Then I need to try these upstream of the CFA3:
1) some 300Bs
2) my darTZeel pre

So looking forward to the T2. But I can only bother Kerry so much :p

All you need is the addition of 300B and you can have the choice of leaving the T2/STAX especially if you complement with Valkyria.

Feb 28, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #950 of 1,520

1) some 300Bs
2) my darTZeel pre

Much enjoyment awaits you.

Aside: Kerry is entirely too nice; when we were anodizing the first DIY T2 and the article came back very blemished, I almost heard Kerry say damn, he was that mad. Almost. Meanwhile I threw every indecent word in my vocabulary as the amount of miss in the finishing wasn't relatively decent.

Kerry is a gem.

Mar 3, 2023 at 1:37 AM Post #951 of 1,520
Yeah, the SGL isn't really conducive to "background listening". :relaxed: The sound is so vivid and alive, it's hard not to give it your full attention. The Susvara may be a better choice for listening while working, reading, etc.

Yup, exactly. And actually, that's another major reason for the second wave of the journey here among other reasons. The stat system is just incredibly high performing and revealing, and for me ultimately the most enjoyable. But I also want a system that is a bit more conducive to just picking up and going with ease and smoothness (starting with my R10 and then others), as a complement and also for different use cases (work at low volumes) and mood.

1) some 300Bs
2) my darTZeel pre

Is there a dynamic or planar that you've heard that for you comes close or rivals the x9000 from what you've heard? Or from interests you from what you've read? If stats are your thing, I'd simply stick with the T2 rather than delving into the high end amps/chains for them. But if there are a few that do, then I'd say it's worth exploring (purchase wise--if you can audition in a good chain or take a home demo I would absolutely regardless). Just depending on taste, it can be extremely hard to beat some of the newer TOTL stats out of a T2 (or similar).

All of that said, a nice 300b amp in it of itself is extremely alluring. And I have my own interest in the CFA3, even though I don't need it lol

Much enjoyment awaits you.

Aside: Kerry is entirely too nice; when we were anodizing the first DIY T2 and the article came back very blemished, I almost heard Kerry say damn, he was that mad. Almost. Meanwhile I threw every indecent word in my vocabulary as the amount of miss in the finishing wasn't relatively decent.

Kerry is a gem.

One of the most pleasant people/business owners I've ever done business with in this hobby ever. Just a very nice guy lol and very easy to work with.

Also, regarding the topic above, I read somewhere that Dukei was no longer building CFA3's? I think in a listing, which I know I can't take as fully true/unbiased. Any insight there? Just for the general groups' knowledge. I can do my own digging but also have no immediate or near future need--again per above the CFA seems like a technical masterpiece and I was looking for something to contrast that--and also I had an immediate need and couldn't find one used. Had I found one used, I would've grabbed it either way to put behind my EC 300b amp.

Mar 3, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #952 of 1,520
Yup, exactly. And actually, that's another major reason for the second wave of the journey here among other reasons. The stat system is just incredibly high performing and revealing, and for me ultimately the most enjoyable. But I also want a system that is a bit more conducive to just picking up and going with ease and smoothness (starting with my R10 and then others), as a complement and also for different use cases (work at low volumes) and mood.

Is there a dynamic or planar that you've heard that for you comes close or rivals the x9000 from what you've heard? Or from interests you from what you've read? If stats are your thing, I'd simply stick with the T2 rather than delving into the high end amps/chains for them. But if there are a few that do, then I'd say it's worth exploring (purchase wise--if you can audition in a good chain or take a home demo I would absolutely regardless). Just depending on taste, it can be extremely hard to beat some of the newer TOTL stats out of a T2 (or similar).

All of that said, a nice 300b amp in it of itself is extremely alluring. And I have my own interest in the CFA3, even though I don't need it lol

One of the most pleasant people/business owners I've ever done business with in this hobby ever. Just a very nice guy lol and very easy to work with.

Also, regarding the topic above, I read somewhere that Dukei was no longer building CFA3's? I think in a listing, which I know I can't take as fully true/unbiased. Any insight there? Just for the general groups' knowledge. I can do my own digging but also have no immediate or near future need--again per above the CFA seems like a technical masterpiece and I was looking for something to contrast that--and also I had an immediate need and couldn't find one used. Had I found one used, I would've grabbed it either way to put behind my EC 300b amp.
I believe he is still actively building and you can always send him a PM. There are also other builders for alternative solutions.

Mar 3, 2023 at 6:16 PM Post #953 of 1,520
Also, regarding the topic above, I read somewhere that Dukei was no longer building CFA3's?
He did tell me about a year ago he was winding down his DIY builds, but I think that was to allow him to focus on a couple potential professional amp projects. I'm not sure if that's still his plan, but I hope so as they sounded pretty cool. FYI, I can't say enough good things about @Dukei . He spent a ton of time helping me troubleshoot and fix a small issue with my CFA3, and I wasn't even the original buyer. I had purchased it second-hand!

Mar 3, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #954 of 1,520
He did tell me about a year ago he was winding down his DIY builds, but I think that was to allow him to focus on a couple potential professional amp projects. I'm not sure if that's still his plan, but I hope so as they sounded pretty cool. FYI, I can't say enough good things about @Dukei . He spent a ton of time helping me troubleshoot and fix a small issue with my CFA3, and I wasn't even the original buyer. I had purchased it second-hand!

Appreciate the insight. Hopefully more info on the new *potential* projects comes soon. And yea, from everything I had read, if I were to own one personally, I'd want one of his builds be it new or second hand. Sounds like a great contributor to the community.

Mar 5, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #955 of 1,520
Spent all morning once again with the Caldera and Susvara. Just very enjoyable and they are so different. It also reinforced that I could never just live with one pair of headphones. I haven't done that since the very beginning of the hobby for me (even way back I had the AKG K501 and Grado/Alessandro 225ms2i). If I had to choose between the Caldera and Susvara, it would be really tough.

Anyways, have also spent considerable time with the Expanse and Utopia in comparison. I'll add more thoughts later this week, but the Expanse still has a wow factor for me even with these two. I think the Utopia may end up for sale pretty soon here. It's still really balanced and good, but the rolling off of the highs kind of takes away from its original resolution and clarity. And the really narrow soundstage (OG or 2022) is just too glaring when you try something like the Susvara, estats, etc. The "punch" is still impressive and fun, just might not be enough for me--I'm just not grabbing them much at all outside of necessity for the comparison. Conversely, I can't put the Caldera and Susvara down.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #956 of 1,520
Spent all morning once again with the Caldera and Susvara. Just very enjoyable and they are so different. It also reinforced that I could never just live with one pair of headphones. I haven't done that since the very beginning of the hobby for me (even way back I had the AKG K501 and Grado/Alessandro 225ms2i). If I had to choose between the Caldera and Susvara, it would be really tough.

Anyways, have also spent considerable time with the Expanse and Utopia in comparison. I'll add more thoughts later this week, but the Expanse still has a wow factor for me even with these two. I think the Utopia may end up for sale pretty soon here. It's still really balanced and good, but the rolling off of the highs kind of takes away from it's original resolution and clarity. And the really narrow soundstage (OG or 2022) is just too glaring when you try something like the Susvara, estats, etc. The "punch" is still impressive and fun, just might not be enough for me--I'm just not grabbing them much at all outside of necessity for the comparison. Conversely, I can't put the Caldera and Susvara down.
Always look forward to your updates.

I’ve been the exact opposite, only owning one headphone for home use at a time. My path went HD650, Grado RS1, Grado GS-1000, Grado PS-1, L3000, Focal Utopia, Expanse, and finally the Caldera. If I could have kept any of those from the past it would be the RS-1, PS-1, and the L3000. Unfortunately I could never afford the new headphones without the selling of the prior ones. Luckily the Caldera feels like I can live with it for as long as I kept the L3000, over 12 years. Does everything right for my tastes and just so fun and euphoric.

Mar 5, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #957 of 1,520
Always look forward to your updates.

I’ve been the exact opposite, only owning one headphone for home use at a time. My path went HD650, Grado RS1, Grado GS-1000, Grado PS-1, L3000, Focal Utopia, Expanse, and finally the Caldera. If I could have kept any of those from the past it would be the RS-1, PS-1, and the L3000. Unfortunately I could never afford the new headphones without the selling of the prior ones. Luckily the Caldera feels like I can live with it for as long as I kept the L3000, over 12 years. Does everything right for my tastes and just so fun and euphoric.

If I had a crystal ball I wouldn't have sold half of the headphones I ever did lol. And I would've purchased at least two R10s. Oh well lol. Each headphone tends to have tradeoffs, which makes owning multiple so appealing. I'm jealous of people fully happy owning just one. If I had to today, it would no question be between the SGL Sr. and the R10, they are easily my favorites by far. HE90 is pretty close as well.

I hate to say it, but I think the Caldera is taking the L3000's place, which I never would've suspected. There's a touch of clarity the L3000 still has, and the vocals are a bit better, but the timbre on the Caldera seems a bit better, which makes a pretty substantial difference. I'll compare both of these very closely in the next few weeks. One thing to note on the L3000 is that I'm using dekoni perforated pads, which takes away from some of its original signature in favor of clarity/transparency. I have the originals, which I'll swap in and out when I compare.. they absolutely make a difference.

Mar 5, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #958 of 1,520
Anyways, have also spent considerable time with the Expanse and Utopia in comparison. I'll add more thoughts later this week, but the Expanse still has a wow factor for me even with these two. I think the Utopia may end up for sale pretty soon here. It's still really balanced and good, but the rolling off of the highs kind of takes away from its original resolution and clarity. And the really narrow soundstage (OG or 2022) is just too glaring when you try something like the Susvara, estats, etc. The "punch" is still impressive and fun, just might not be enough for me--I'm just not grabbing them much at all outside of necessity for the comparison. Conversely, I can't put the Caldera and Susvara down.
Thanks for eliminating the very small interest I had in Utopia 2022! I didn't find the OG too bright, so it sounds like the 2022 isn't gonna impress.

Mar 5, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #959 of 1,520
If I had a crystal ball I wouldn't have sold half of the headphones I ever did lol. And I would've purchased at least two R10s. Oh well lol. Each headphone tends to have tradeoffs, which makes owning multiple so appealing. I'm jealous of people fully happy owning just one. If I had to today, it would no question be between the SGL Sr. and the R10, they are easily my favorites by far. HE90 is pretty close as well.

I hate to say it, but I think the Caldera is taking the L3000's place, which I never would've suspected. There's a touch of clarity the L3000 still has, and the vocals are a bit better, but the timbre on the Caldera seems a bit better, which makes a pretty substantial difference. I'll compare both of these very closely in the next few weeks. One thing to note on the L3000 is that I'm using dekoni perforated pads, which takes away from some of its original signature in favor of clarity/transparency. I have the originals, which I'll swap in and out when I compare.. they absolutely make a difference.
Yeah, I don’t remember the L3000 having the clarity of the Caldera with it’s stock pads. It was thick, booming sound with rich mids. The thick pads on the Caldera reminded more of this sound but something was off about the mids. But even with stock pads, it’s the nice groove the Caldera shares. I’m haven’t heard the Susvara, the SGL jr, or the HE90. The R10 heard just briefly at same meet I first heard the L3000. The L3000 made much bigger impression within 15 min sessions. Maybe next CanJam I’ll remember to try a few of these headphones.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2023 at 6:25 PM Post #960 of 1,520
Thanks for eliminating the very small interest I had in Utopia 2022! I didn't find the OG too bright, so it sounds like the 2022 isn't gonna impress.

If you can, I would suggest trying to hear them. A few good friends I trust love them a lot more than I do. I just think I've always struggled a bit with how compressed they are compared to other TOTLs.

Yeah, I don’t remember the L3000 having the clarity of the Caldera with it’s stock pads. It was thick, booming sound with rich mids. The thick pads on the Caldera reminded more of this sound but something was off about the mids. But even with stock pads, it’s the nice groove the Caldera shares. I’m haven’t heard the Susvara, the SGL jr, or the HE90. The R10 heard just briefly at same meet I first heard the L3000. The L3000 made much bigger impression within 15 min sessions. Maybe next CanJam I’ll remember to try a few of these headphones.

Yup, that's what my old L3000 sounded like as well. The perforated pads definitely shifted the sound considerably. Before doing any real in depth comparison, I'll compare the current pads to my previous ones and report back. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back