Vintage OG and Present Day TOTL Impressions
Mar 5, 2023 at 7:10 PM Post #961 of 1,520
Never understood the comments about the original Utopia. While I am all in with Stax and my T2/X9000/009/009S etc. I still find my OG Utopia to be the same TOTL headphone it was when released some 6 years ago. It still gives me immense pleasure - perhaps because I am primarily a lifelong Naim 2 channel listener and the Utopia project was developed using Naim gear (PRAT rules).

After a 1.5 year wait I just relinquished my place in line for a DNA Stellaris as it was only going to be used with my Utopia. It seemed like a lot of money to spend for a one headphone amplifier. I will continue to "slum" it with the GSX MK2 and gold Walkman WM1Z although I am in line to order the ECP 3F reissue when it becomes available as that amp is specifically designed for the Utopia.

I never had the opportunity to demo any ZMF cans however the comments on the Caldera have me curious. Being planars do they have any particular amping requirements ala Susvara or can a GSX MK2 carry the load?

Listening to Stax and my Utopia I would not be able to accept any less resolution than what the Focal provides.

Mar 5, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #962 of 1,520
Never understood the comments about the original Utopia. While I am all in with Stax and my T2/X9000/009/009S etc. I still find my OG Utopia to be the same TOTL headphone it was when released some 6 years ago. It still gives me immense pleasure - perhaps because I am primarily a lifelong Naim 2 channel listener and the Utopia project was developed using Naim gear (PRAT rules).

After a 1.5 year wait I just relinquished my place in line for a DNA Stellaris as it was only going to be used with my Utopia. It seemed like a lot of money to spend for a one headphone amplifier. I will continue to "slum" it with the GSX MK2 and gold Walkman WM1Z although I am in line to order the ECP 3F reissue when it becomes available as that amp is specifically designed for the Utopia.

I never had the opportunity to demo any ZMF cans however the comments on the Caldera have me curious. Being planars do they have any particular amping requirements ala Susvara or can a GSX MK2 carry the load?

Listening to Stax and my Utopia I would not be able to accept any less resolution than what the Focal provides.

I found the OG Utopia really good as well, perhaps just not for me long term. I think it's more of the same for the 2022 for me, but I get other people loving them more. Although the original struck me as more resolving for sure. In either case, both with a very unique presentation and excellent punch and impact.

I don't think the GSX MK2 is "slumming" it up at all. They are very easy to power. But I get it, it almost feels like you aren't doing a service to TOTL headphones if not paired with an absolute TOTL amp, but they are very easy to power properly.

The Caldera is also relatively easy to power, but not to the same exact degree of the Utopia. The MK2 will absolutely do it justice, it's nothing like the Expanse or Susvara in that regard.

Mar 5, 2023 at 7:51 PM Post #963 of 1,520
I’m just using my Caldera on the Naim Atom Uniti HE. It thought it paired well with the original Utopia and it seems to do nicely with the Caldera as well. It’s not the last thing in resolution but has that great fun PRaT sound and no loss of dynamics.

Mar 12, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #964 of 1,520
Hey all, just getting back to listening. Work has just been really rough, but should get better in a few weeks. Anyways, going to force listening more this week and still have notes from the week prior.

Question for anyone, has anyone used a voltage converter for long term use with equipment not meant for your region? Just saw a beautiful CFA3 for sale, but at 230v. The problem is I can't really spare build time as I think in about a year or so I'll have to pivot to mainly speakers anyway. I don't need a CFA3 lol, but I've been really intrigued for a long time.

Also the only other reason it may not make sense is that I was looking for more warmth and color for my dynamic rig given just how technical and resolving my stat chain is (for contrast). I know the CFA3 is ruthlessly transparent so in trying to reach this goal it may not make sense.. but still, very intrigued. Would use behind the EC Studio B.

Mar 12, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #965 of 1,520
Hey all, just getting back to listening. Work has just been really rough, but should get better in a few weeks. Anyways, going to force listening more this week and still have notes from the week prior.

Question for anyone, has anyone used a voltage converter for long term use with equipment not meant for your region? Just saw a beautiful CFA3 for sale, but at 230v. The problem is I can't really spare build time as I think in about a year or so I'll have to pivot to mainly speakers anyway. I don't need a CFA3 lol, but I've been really intrigued for a long time.

Also the only other reason it may not make sense is that I was looking for more warmth and color for my dynamic rig given just how technical and resolving my stat chain is (for contrast). I know the CFA3 is ruthlessly transparent so in trying to reach this goal it may not make sense.. but still, very intrigued. Would use behind the EC Studio B.

Just stumbled on this thread and seeing your post. Have a dukei built CFA-3 and love it. Effortless delivery of power. I find it adds treble sparkle (in a good way) which audibly increases sound stage. It’s wonderful for mid and low sensitivity headphones, all of them.

If you have another warm amp (like a tube amp) this will join, it’s a fantastic contrast and variety.

If it’s your sole amp, then you get a classic solid state amp that I’d describe more as effortless than thick and warm.

With a headphone like the Atrium, which has lush and warm voicing, I use the CFA-3 as it provides a great balance. With my Caldera I use a TC amp to balance.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #966 of 1,520
agree with @goldwerger 's description!

I have used a couple hi-fi amps with voltage transformers in the past, but just for a few days. It all sounded right to me. I was using simple cables and the transformer itself was a basic one, not audio stuff. Of course there can be a whole thread on the presence or not of sonic degradations, ground reference issues, etc, when transforming AC voltage

But forgetting hi-fi and thinking regular AV receivers, media players, etc, me and everyone in my hometown (220v, in a mostly 110v country) have used these devices for years if not decades with transformers and never had issues.

Mar 12, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #967 of 1,520
On another note.
Just stumbled on this thread and seeing your post. Have a dukei built CFA-3 and love it. Effortless delivery of power. I find it adds treble sparkle (in a good way) which audibly increases sound stage. It’s wonderful for mid and low sensitivity headphones, all of them.

If you have another warm amp (like a tube amp) this will join, it’s a fantastic contrast and variety.

If it’s your sole amp, then you get a classic solid state amp that I’d describe more as effortless than thick and warm.

With a headphone like the Atrium, which has lush and warm voicing, I use the CFA-3 as it provides a great balance. With my Caldera I use a TC amp to balance.

Appreciate the insight. I've read a lot of your posts on it, as well as @paradoxper and a few others. Terrible influences and exactly why I'm in this position lol, but again very intrigued. I'm going to look for sweeter/warmer tubes for my amp and may try to pick one up.

agree with @goldwerger 's description!

I have used a couple hi-fi amps with voltage transformers in the past, but just for a few days. It all sounded right to me. I was using simple cables and the transformer itself was a basic one, not audio stuff. Of course there can be a whole thread on the presence or not of sonic degradations, ground reference issues, etc, when transforming AC voltage

But forgetting hi-fi and thinking regular AV receivers, media players, etc, me and everyone in my hometown (220v, in a mostly 110v country) have used these devices for years if not decades with transformers and never had issues.

Thanks for the insight there. Very helpful. Generally speaking, I tend to think (based on my experience) that a lot of people over communicate the differences/benefits of a lot of downstream changes (or at least this is complicated with the hyperbolic nature of the forum), wrt to different music players/streaming apps, different connections (optical vs. usb when both are well implemented), ICs, etc. So I'm certainly open to the idea and will do some searching/reading. Thank you!

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #968 of 1,520
Mar 12, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #969 of 1,520
On another note.

Appreciate the insight. I've read a lot of your posts on it, as well as @paradoxper and a few others. Terrible influences and exactly why I'm in this positions lol, but again very intrigued. I'm going to look for sweeter/warmer tubes for my amp and may try to pick one up.

Thanks for the insight there. Very helpful. Generally speaking, I tend to think (based on my experience) that a lot of people over communicate the differences/benefits of a lot of downstream changes (or at least this is complicated with the hyperbolic nature of the forum), wrt to different music players/streaming apps, different connections (optical vs. usb when both are well implemented), ICs, etc. So I'm certainly open to the idea and will do some searching/reading. Thank you!
You know you are doing it right. Ha.

Mar 12, 2023 at 9:07 PM Post #970 of 1,520
Since I have moved to an almost exclusive Stax/T2 lineup the only non stat headphone which gets any of my time is the OG Utopia. It gets used with a GSX MK2. Something like a CFA3 does not seem appropriate for me if I am not considering demanding headphones as the Susvara or Abyss. Has anyone done any CFA3 comparisons with the GSX MK2? I recently canceled my position in line for a DNS Stellaris (after a 18 month wait) for much the same reason - all in Stax.
I do however have my eye on the upcoming reissue ECP DSHA3F

Mar 13, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #971 of 1,520

https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/kevin-gilmore-cfa3-dukei-build.43514/

^ There's one FS that would work in the US

Mar 13, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #972 of 1,520
Mar 13, 2023 at 11:39 PM Post #973 of 1,520
Very interesting comparison with the Caldera and L3000 tonight. Was wondering if maybe the L3000 could go in favor of it. That's not the case at all and I've clearly not been spending enough time with the L3000. I'm going to take another night doing so again, and with the original pads swapped in to share a few more thoughts, but I prefer the current pads even less, so I was pretty surprised to see the L3000 surprise me a bit given how enamored I've been with the Caldera.

Along similar lines, I compared the Expanse to the HE60, HE90 and R10. It's not as good as the R10 or HE90 (overall enjoyment wise) at all imo, but its tone is probably top four with them all, which honestly to me is a big deal. A lot more thoughts to come there.

And I'm in a never ending battle with the Utopia lol. It is incredible.. but still a bit of an issue with the closed in nature. But still incredible. The Susvara on the other hand.. I'm trying to justify and figure out ways to own them again lol. Still, my stat system continues to remain idle intentionally so I can evaluate these all fairly.

Work has been pretty rough, so I don't think I'll get to drop a detailed review anytime soon, but I'm writing everything down so I can eventually. Will keep dropping small thoughts like this along the way.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2023 at 12:14 AM Post #974 of 1,520
Finished tonight's session between the Caldera/Utopia/Expanse/Susvara/L3000 with considerable time with the R10 and man it is just special. I doubted that being the case for a very long time. It just sounds more "perfect" and "natural" than just about anything else. Totally worth it if you can find the right pair and sale, which is the real challenge.

Mar 14, 2023 at 1:43 AM Post #975 of 1,520
Finished tonight's session between the Caldera/Utopia/Expanse/Susvara/L3000 with considerable time with the R10 and man it is just special. I doubted that being the case for a very long time. It just sounds more "perfect" and "natural" than just about anything else. Totally worth it if you can find the right pair and sale, which is the real challenge.

Yea I agree wtih you. I have the Caldera, Susvara, and L3000 so perhaps I'll try sometime soon to do this same comparison. But I always find the R10 a unique experience!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back