Vintage OG and Present Day TOTL Impressions
Feb 7, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #916 of 1,520
If you get the chance to compare the Expanse with the CA-1a I think you should. Been trying mine the past week and I think it trades blows for half the cost.
And as a fan of electrostats you'll probably like the character of the ribbons in the CA-1a.

Also give the Utopia a try on a high output impedance tube amp, I think you'll like the increase in slam from their low frequency impedance bump.

I haven't heard them just yet, but have been interested. I still have my Sr1a which I'm using from time to time, but would definitely like to hear them. Maybe I'll keep an eye out for a used pair once I cycle some headphones out after the current comparison.

And now that I'll be owning the Utopia for now, I'll be giving it a try on the EC, my EVO 400 and my Hegel as well. Certainly expecting an improvement in the bass, the slam doesn't currently remind me of the OG, but I didn't want to comment on it, as the bass was the top area I found lacking in driving directly from the Dave in comparison to my WA33 back when I compared with the OG Utopia. So definitely not knocking the 2022 version at all until I try better amplification.

I'm always right. :grin:

Lol seems to be the case. Also, are Elrogs available from mainstream distributors or are many folks purchasing used? Forgive me, just starting to do my digging on this. But definitely wanting to give them a try.

Feb 7, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #917 of 1,520
I haven't heard them just yet, but have been interested. I still have my Sr1a which I'm using from time to time, but would definitely like to hear them. Maybe I'll keep an eye out for a used pair once I cycle some headphones out after the current comparison.

And now that I'll be owning the Utopia for now, I'll be giving it a try on the EC, my EVO 400 and my Hegel as well. Certainly expecting an improvement in the bass, the slam doesn't currently remind me of the OG, but I didn't want to comment on it, as the bass was the top area I found lacking in driving directly from the Dave in comparison to my WA33 back when I compared with the OG Utopia. So definitely not knocking the 2022 version at all until I try better amplification.

Lol seems to be the case. Also, are Elrogs available from mainstream distributors or are many folks purchasing used? Forgive me, just starting to do my digging on this. But definitely wanting to give them a try.
Parts Connexion is the Distributor.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #918 of 1,520
Which Hegel amp are you using with the Expanse?

Feb 8, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #919 of 1,520
Feb 21, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #920 of 1,520
Day #1 for the next round of major comparisons in this thread: ZMF Caldera, Hifiman Susvara, Focal Utopia 2022 and DCA Expanse. I'll be doing comparisons over the next three weeks, with a split next week for a work trip (such terrible timing lol). Right now I'm just soaking in the Caldera for the first time (very fun) and getting familiar with the Susvara again (very quickly enjoying them just as I did the first time around), and then over the next few days will start working the Utopia and Expanse back in. Also, since it seems that some are sensitive to people selling gear, I want to preface any future thoughts on the fact that I intend to sale most of this gear later in the year no matter what lol. Mainly just enjoying trying new gear and eventually downsize either way once I have the right space for a high end 2ch system.

As far as the amps, I'm using the GSX Mini to start and then will be moving on to my speaker amps, all behind mDave. The one disappointment is.. as you can see I have the EC Studio B (300B), but unfortunately it was damaged in shipping, which apparently is a thing and it just doesn't ship well. The seller has been excellent and even helped walk me through repairing the PSU (just remounting the chokes), but after that it turned out that the left channel isn't working while the right is, which suggests a bad connection--but I can't see anything that looks loose, stripped, etc. in the main amp. Anyways, the seller has been an absolute gem in working through it and we'll be looking to get it fixed locally rather than dealing with shipping anywhere.

Anyways, major bummer, as it was intended to be my tube amp solution for more sensitive headphones (Utopia, R10, Caldera etc.), and I was able to do some testing with the Utopia and Expanse before the channel issue fully surfaced. The Utopia immediately sounded better than through the Dave, very easily so. Improvement in the bass and a bit more full open. With the Expanse, I would have needed a lot more time to infer anything in comparison to the Hegel integrated amp I was using. No improvements jumped out immediately. I could tell the EC could power it adequately, but it didn't have a ton of reserve power left. Again not enough time to get a handle on real differences, but it did sound good. I didn't think the EC would power the Susvara to it's absolutely best ability (and if I bought the Sus again, intended to use it as a pre, maybe into one of my current amps or more ideally into a CFA3 - or - not at all and just with my speaker amps). I mention it as now I'm going to just be using the Mini and the speaker amps, which again I don't like doing with really sensitive headphones. I've done so before and will just be really careful, just a bit nerve racking for me.

In addition to the headphone comparisons, I'm aiming to give some insight into how the Susvara mainly, but also the Expanse, performs with a decent range (price wise) of capable (power/current wise) amps. What will be missing is a really TOTL dedicated headphone amp ($8k+) which I would love to also compare, but simply can't justify splurging on given how well I know the EVO performs and how much I've already invested in the T2, which is my preferred system overall. If I can find a CFA3, which seems to compete with anything out there, I'd love to jump on it, as again it was already on my radar (seems like extreme price-to-performance value). But this will be secondary to the headphone comparisons themselves.

Anyways, enough of my babbling lol, happy listening and I'll come back in a few days with some thoughts. (may drop little thoughts in other threads as I go) :)

IMG_6397.jpg

Feb 21, 2023 at 4:09 PM Post #921 of 1,520
Also, meant to say a major thanks to @BassicScience for the Susvara loaner, which I was really excited to get to tie this altogether!!

Feb 21, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #922 of 1,520
Also, meant to say a major thanks to @BassicScience for the Susvara loaner, which I was really excited to get to tie this altogether!!
You're most welcome, my friend! Really looking forward to your comparative impressions. Meanwhile, it's a great opportunity for me to give my other cans some well-deserved head time. :wink:

Feb 22, 2023 at 8:48 PM Post #923 of 1,520
So the Caldera and Susvara might be one of the best comparisons I'll have been able to do. These two are excellent, with a similar level of performance and good amount of somewhat similarities and differences. Pretty early, I get the impressions and POVs favoring either when comparing. More soon though.

Feb 22, 2023 at 8:57 PM Post #924 of 1,520
These two are excellent, with a similar level of performance
Sus is only falling behind cause you arent using a d'agistano chain on your personal moonbase /s

But realy, will be currious to hear some further impressions here. TBH I wasn't super impressed by caldera technically (didnt think it was bad, just wasnt impressed), but I do think I basically only heard it on non-technicaly focused chains fairly close to hearing shang sr and blowing my mind, so may be worth a revisit. Any plans to do a break down between these two in different general areas?

Feb 22, 2023 at 9:36 PM Post #925 of 1,520
Sus is only falling behind cause you arent using a d'agistano chain on your personal moonbase /s

Lol. Sus isn't falling behind at all. And especially now that I've run it through a speaker amp again. It sounds incredible.

But realy, will be curious to hear some further impressions here. TBH I wasn't super impressed by caldera technically (didnt think it was bad, just wasnt impressed), but I do think I basically only heard it on non-technicaly focused chains fairly close to hearing shang sr and blowing my mind, so may be worth a revisit. Any plans to do a break down between these two in different general areas?

Yea I hear this entirely. I've actually put my SGL Sr. aside for the past few weeks given this round of comparison for the Expanse, Utopia, Sus and Caldera. I actually haven't heard it/the T2 in weeks lol. I found that it spoils most comparisons and anything else, and tbh, doing so has opened up much more appreciation for other levels of headphones and chains.

But a good point, I will reserve a bit of time to revisit the Susvara vs. SGL Sr. to share again there.

Feb 24, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #926 of 1,520
Couple of really good nights with the Caldera and Susvara. Will start pulling the Utopia and Expanse in today. Based on how people seemed to like both of these headphones, I actually wasn't expecting them to sound as different as they do. Definitely could be great complements.

The Caldera is special, I'll be keeping it for sure. It has a really lively and musical signature.

Also, I just happen to be at a really cool stereo repair shop to drop off the EC Studio B. Cool vibe and the people seem top notch. We'll be looking at the amp together and they'll decide if they will take in the amp for repair (although seems like the only time they won't is if the gear is in pretty awful shape.)

IMG_6445.jpg

IMG_6444.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2023 at 6:01 PM Post #927 of 1,520
If anyone ever needs an amp repair in the Chicago area, I cannot recommend Stereo Rehab enough. Really cool people, and the lead technician (or I guess owner) was just brilliant. It was much more of an audio experience rather than taking a piece of gear to get fixed--even enjoyed some libations while I waited. Anyways, there was a loose wire/connection in the amp near the heat plate that he resoldered on the spot, I can't believe I missed seeing it (although it's not like I had any equipment or knowledge to fix it myself lol). Took 45 seconds and tested the amp and was on my way. I was the second person whose gear was fixed on the spot, for free. The guy that left before me was just as giddy as I was when I left lol.

Was expecting the amp to possibly stay with them for 4-6 weeks, so the fact that I'm back home listening to the Susvara through it is a huge plus.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #928 of 1,520
So to my pleasant surprise, the EC does just as great with the Susvara as my speaker amps. I actually just didn't expect that. Only real difference is vocals on the 300b sound a bit more forward and lush, which I really love. Same deal with the Expanse. So going forward, I'll be using the EC exclusively over any speaker amps, makes things a lot easier as well.

The EVO 400, Hegel and Studio B are all quite a big step up from the GSX Mini with the Susvara specifically. Less so for the Caldera, Utopia or even Expanse. All of them improve a bit, but the Susvara take a pretty big leap. Timbre, bass, and just overall weight improve very noticeably. The Mini is still very good with the Susvara, especially for the price, but you do leave a bit of performance on the table. The other thing is I also think the Headamp house sound is a factor here as well. The Mini and the BHSE both are very open and airy and light sounding amps (compared to other amps--the BHSE vs. Aeras impressions I provided earlier are a perfect example). So transparently, I'm not sure how much to attribute to that vs. more quality power/current. When I used the mini, I was totally impressed by the Susvara, but without question, just a very noticeable difference.

Anyways, that's more relevant to the Susvara thread and will share there. Segueing into more thoughts on the Caldera and Susvara. Apple to oranges type of comparison for sure. They are very different, with different strengths. A few thoughts below:

Susvara:
  • Very open and airy, with very impressive separation and detail. The separation is the main thing that stands out over the Caldera. There is more space and it's easier to identify everything in it's own unique part of the staging
  • Pretty transparent, with maybe a slight hint of warmth. The closest planar I've heard to a stat, yet with a very easy listen (no brightness or anything)
  • A bit laid back. I know nobody really likes it being mentioned lol, but it is indeed a bit laid back. No matter the chain I have ever heard it in, it just is when directly compared to other headphones' signatures. This is very clear against the more lively Caldera. (For reference, it's nowhere near as laid back as the x9000 in example, and it isn't about placement as with the x9000, just overall tonality.)
  • Great bass presentation when properly amped. I don't know why people complain or try to chase the TC's bass, it has really good, detailed bass with good sub-bass again when properly amped

Caldera
  • Very warm and lively, and in a really good way. It's still very transparent and detailed, but it has a natural warm tone and very lively PRAT and overall presentation. Definitely it's strongest quality
  • Second strongest quality is its bass. It has one of the best bass presentations I've heard of any headphone, just very well done overall. I enjoy it over the Susvara even though again as I mentioned above the Susvara has great bass. More weight, feels like a bit more impact, and definitely wins in the sub-bass category. It also is in no way overdone, it's just very sufficient and enjoyable. I'm sure the TC would still win out in sheer impact, but not with sub-bass.
  • Similar to the above, the Caldera has a more weighty sound overall than the Susvara. Once I started using my speaker amps and Studio B, this gap closed very noticeably. The Caldera is still just a bit weightier.
  • More intimate presentation, but still an average soundstage with good width and depth. More forward than the Susvara, takes a page out of the Utopia/Expanse's book in terms of the more intimate presentation (although they sound nothing alike). It's definitely a bit more open than the Utopia, and the Expanse I'm still trying to compare to

My thoughts absolutely evolve over time, but at this point, I see these two as equals with very different presentations. Absolutely see the appeal in both. The Caldera feels a bit more musical and lively, while the Susvara is a bit more relaxed yet more open with better separation. Both are at the same level detail wise. I think you can give a slight edge in resolution to the Susvara only because of the effect of the separation. And I'd give a slight edge in timbre to the Caldera, but even that is really hard because the light and airy nature of the Susvara is still extremely impressive timbre wise; they're just different--but for me, I think I'd give the Caldera the slight edge. Bass is another slight edge for it as well. To me, it isn't really a "one is better than the other" scenario. It's just going to come down to what people like and prefer. They are also really fun using together, definitely good complements.

Oh and one other thing to mention is comfort. The Susvara is absolutely much more comfortable. Feels light and plush, while the Caldera clamps a bit and is heavy (I know the Kingwood, which I have, is the heaviest so YMMV).

At the very beginning of this thread I spoke about how the VC was excellent but not necessarily right at that top tier. The Caldera completely changes things and is in that TC/Susvara etc. tier imo, which is really great to see. As a preview, I think the Utopia and Expanse overall are just a half step behind the Caldera and Susvara. Literally a half step. The 2022 Utopia is a bit too closed in and feels a bit less resolving than the OG (which I already had just a bit behind the Susvara) to provide the same level of detail/resolution feel of the Sus/Cal, and the Expanse absolutely has the resolution and detail, but lacks the bottom end to meet the completeness of either. Regardless, both of them are very good and I'd want either in addition to the Susvara and/or Caldera.

I spent last night comparing to the Expanse and Utopia, I'll share more thoughts on those in the next few days or after my work trip next week. (taking notes along the way). And if I can find the time, in my last week with the Susvara, I'll take like 5 tracks and speak to how they all perform compared to each other.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #929 of 1,520
Also, I forgot to mention that the Caldera actually reminds me of the L3000 a LOT. Similar presentation, both intentionally warm/colored, great bass and very lively.. with lush vocals front and center. Perhaps a bit more open, will have to give it more time. For anyone that's always wanted a pair of L3000 but could never find them, I'd definitely give the Caldera a try.

Feb 25, 2023 at 4:24 PM Post #930 of 1,520
Also, I forgot to mention that the Caldera actually reminds me of the L3000 a LOT. Similar presentation, both intentionally warm/colored, great bass and very lively.. with lush vocals front and center. Perhaps a bit more open, will have to give it more time. For anyone that's always wanted a pair of L3000 but could never find them, I'd definitely give the Caldera a try.
I felt that way too. I sold the Kingwood Caldera because it felt like it overlapped with the L3000 too much for me. I personally think the Caldera is a better headphone than the L3000 (better soundstage, better instrumental separation, and maybe better clarity(not confident on this one)), but I'm just too biased with the L3000. I felt like the vocals, bass, and electric guitars were more satisfying with the L3000 and the genres I like (basically like rock songs like jrock, pop rock, psychedelic rock, classic rock, old British metal, etc etc) were more satisfying with the L3000. Note I also had a low-tier SS amp and a pretty decent tube amp during my time with the Caldera that time so I never really heard the true potential of the Caldera. Now that I clean up my audio chain, I always wonder if I would like the Caldera more than the L3000 🤔

Users who are viewing this thread

Back