Vintage OG and Present Day TOTL Impressions
Jan 31, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #901 of 1,520
What amp requirement does the Caldera have (being a Planar)? While I am heavily invested in my Stax setup I still have a GSX MK2 and GSX Mini here at home. Both, and my Sony Signature WM1Z Walkman “gold brick”, are used with my Utopia.

Your description of the Caldera sounds interesting to me. Of course, being a 25 year Naim 2 channel listener, PRAT is first and foremost on my list. It would also have to at least equal if not beat my OG Utopias

Jan 31, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #902 of 1,520
What amp requirement does the Caldera have (being a Planar)?
The Caldera is pretty easy to drive as far as planars go. 60 ohms and a 95 sensitivity. One owner reports excellent results using the Mojo 2.

I'm using a Cayin IHA 6. The Schiit/Nitsch Piety does an okay job on high gain but nothing to write home about.

Your GSX will def get the job done, though I don't know that pairings synergy.

Jan 31, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #903 of 1,520
When I tried them at meets I never knew if they were supposed to just hang by your ears or have a little bit of clamping. I just thought they were made for larger heads. Never came across another headphone like that until tried the Abyss 1266 and don’t the fit of that either.

Good to know about the adapter but would that affect the sound? Seems pads have more effect on sound that I ever thought.

There should be a light clamping for proper sound. With the Grado adapter it fits like a conventional circumaural design. I think they sound better and more open with the ZMF pads. But I am comparing new ZMF pads to worn flats. At a minimum they don't make them sound weird or off. I think it's an improvement. I'm using the Suede's.

Jan 31, 2023 at 9:53 PM Post #904 of 1,520
The Caldera is pretty easy to drive as far as planars go. 60 ohms and a 95 sensitivity. One owner reports excellent results using the Mojo 2.

I'm using a Cayin IHA 6. The Schiit/Nitsch Piety does an okay job on high gain but nothing to write home about.

Your GSX will def get the job done, though I don't know that pairings synergy.

Yup on paper they seem so, and my friend also mentioned to me that he finds this to be the case with two of his amps. The interesting thing is both he and I were a bit (healthily) skeptical at just how good they'd be, only because of the sheer amount of hype around them. He just got them and apparently he thinks they're actually pretty incredible and seems worthy of the praise (pending a more in depth review after a few more weeks).

There should be a light clamping for proper sound. With the Grado adapter it fits like a conventional circumaural design. I think they sound better and more open with the ZMF pads. But I am comparing new ZMF pads to worn flats. At a minimum they don't make them sound weird or off. I think it's an improvement. I'm using the Suede's.

Good to know!

Jan 31, 2023 at 10:43 PM Post #905 of 1,520
Yup on paper they seem so, and my friend also mentioned to me that he finds this to be the case with two of his amps. The interesting thing is both he and I were a bit (healthily) skeptical at just how good they'd be, only because of the sheer amount of hype around them. He just got them and apparently he thinks they're actually pretty incredible and seems worthy of the praise (pending a more in depth review after a few more weeks).
I actually did the very first review of the Caldera, and had the Susvara on hand to a/b. Both are fantastic headphones and are quite different in how they go about presenting the music.
The Susvara has this ethereal, effortless quality to it where music just sort of appears out of nothingness and has a lot of air in between instruments and a giant stage.
The Caldera has a more intimate stage, but adds a more direct, solid, meaty quality to the music. I'd take the Susvara for classical and perhaps trance and Caldera for pretty much everything else.

I could see owning both, funds permitting, but ultimately I found the Susvara quite fatiguing to listen to for extended runs.

Feb 1, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #906 of 1,520
I actually did the very first review of the Caldera, and had the Susvara on hand to a/b. Both are fantastic headphones and are quite different in how they go about presenting the music.
The Susvara has this ethereal, effortless quality to it where music just sort of appears out of nothingness and has a lot of air in between instruments and a giant stage.
The Caldera has a more intimate stage, but adds a more direct, solid, meaty quality to the music. I'd take the Susvara for classical and perhaps trance and Caldera for pretty much everything else.

I could see owning both, funds permitting, but ultimately I found the Susvara quite fatiguing to listen to for extended runs.

Very interesting. The comparisons to the Susvara and impressions from those who have both is one of the things really peaking my interest. Should have them here in two weeks.

Feb 1, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #907 of 1,520
but ultimately I found the Susvara quite fatiguing to listen to for extended runs.
From the ones on my list, they are the least fatiguing. Maybe we are listening to different headphones.
They are very coherent, no frequency is emphasized, very balanced, smooth and detailed highs.

Feb 1, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #908 of 1,520
From the ones on my list, they are the least fatiguing. Maybe we are listening to different headphones.
They are very coherent, no frequency is emphasized, very balanced, smooth and detailed highs.
yeah, TBH I really have no idea what aspect of the sound gave me a headache. Typically spikey upper mids or over emphasised treble are two sure fire ways to give me a headache, but the Susvara to my ears had neither. As you said, it has a very balanced sound, which I did not find bright or sibilant in the least, but the headaches still came.

Feb 4, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #909 of 1,520

They're pretty non-fatiguing to me as well. I do get how some people feel otherwise at times, as they are really technically proficient and in some ways analytical. Oddly enough, outside of tonality and bass, there are a lot of similarities between it and the 009, which many also find analytical. (Sus to a lesser degree though for sure). Still both favorites of mine.

Feb 4, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #910 of 1,520
Adding thoughts I shared in the Focal Utopia 2022 thread here.

First day of having the Utopia, used them while working and then more critically into the evening. I'll wait a few more days to go more in-depth and compare to the Expanse when I have them, but I owned the OGs for quite a bit of time and on this same system (minus the Innuos Phoenix USB) which is making this a pretty simple evaluation for me. I'm using them directly from the Dave, which I did primarily for about half of my time of ownership with the OG (the latter half). However, with all of that said, this is from memory, obviously direct comparison would be best. Only a few initial thoughts:

• Immediately fun and well balanced out of the gate, just like the original version, but probably a bit more balanced for most users given the taming of the highs
  • Although I don't have them directly to compare, from memory, the differences between the two are pretty subtle across the board with one exception imo: tonal balance. As just mentioned the Nutopia is definitely less offensive in the highs than the original, andis also a bit warmer altogether. This doesn't seem like a huge difference, but there is a pro and a con to it. The pro: there hasn't been an ounce of brightness to my ears at any point. The con: there is a very slight veil to the resolution, which I think is a bit of a tradeoff here. I noticed this immediately and I never felt that way about the OG. I can see the appeal of both and actually I would hate to have to decide between both on this front lol, but if the clarity and detailed nature (overall more analytical sounding, which we know isn't everyone's cup of tea either) of the OG is what love about them, I would definitely try to hear them first
    • Also because of subjectivity, this is the one aspect where I think people may think there's a larger difference between the OG/Nutopia than I do. I.e. if the highs were a major offender to you, you will likely think there is a much larger difference than I do overall.
  • Still for me, it's clear that neither the OG, nor the Nutopia is as resolving as the TC/Susvara/009 level of headphones. However, on this second go round, I partially wonder how much of that is due to the more intimate and closed in presentation, which also has its own strengths and benefits (I enjoy it), vs. actually being less resolving generally. I'll be thinking about this as the days go on and as I compare to the Expanse (I'll also compare to the 009 as well). Also, I want to be clear here that the difference is not huge. It's right behind that class imo and very acceptable and impressive in its own right.
  • Soundstage left to right is a bit wider than the original. Not by much, but opens things up just a bit more ever so slightly, it's still a bit more compressed than other headphones, but again there are direct strengths from that I would not want to lose by opening things up further. What is still very impressive is just how much space it covers from front to back, which it always did. Very impressive in that regard, as it gives a very holographic effect despite not having the widest soundstage.

Overall again, it's very good and very fun. I would hate to have to choose between both as it would be hard for me, but what I can say about the Nutopia is for certain it's the easier of the two to listen long term. In fact, when I had the original, rarely would I listen for more than two hours (although I did love the original presentation as well tbc). I did that today easily, without a single issue. That said, being as transparent as I can be, I have to mention that I confirmed my original hunch very quickly. It would be hard for me to justify the leap given the price difference and used market and the small difference in changes from the OG (again, from memory). The OG has certainly become an incredible value, sans any reliability concerns. That's not to open a can of worms, I just had two issues personally with my OG and had them repaired at one point. I'm simply admitting that if Focal did something to improve reliability, certainly to me it bumps up the justification factor just a bit. Lastly, had these seemed drastically different even just from memory, I was possibly planning to purchase a used OG Utopia to compare, but that is just no longer in the cards given my findings above--unless things change. :)

Edit: I'll share some pics tomorrow, but they look the same lol. The Utopia has always looked amazing, and I do like the newer look just a bit better I think.

image1.jpeg

image0.jpeg

Also this is my spare sound room. It's coming together nicely, also using a pair of Kef LS50 speakers, powered by a Hegel H120 on my same Dave/Mscaler system. It's been a really nice area to work while listening to music (when not in meetings lol)

Still agonizing over a 300b amp and paralyzed with inaction lol. Using these through the Dave and the newly acquired Expanse through the Hegel, which does a phenomenal job. Impressions and comparisons to follow, and especially when the Caldera also arrives. :)

Feb 6, 2023 at 10:22 PM Post #911 of 1,520
Again porting some thoughts over from what I shared about the Expanse in its official thread. (want all of my impressions archived in this thread and for anyone to openly comment share thoughts that maybe otherwise wouldn't want to be stated in a branded thread)

Just sharing a few thoughts since I've had the Expanse for four days now. I'm strictly using it and the Utopia only right now and will probably for another week. Not looking to debate, I'm just sharing honest, subjective thoughts mainly for people looking at the Expanse that don't own it just yet:

• Tonality is really excellent. Reminiscent of the OG TOTL's that consistently had natural tones (R10, HE90, HE60, etc.). Sounds transparent, and maybe just a hint of warmth, very smooth overall sound. Very sweet and realistic sounding vocals. Really love this about the headphone, they remind me of the Sennheiser HE60 in a lot of ways (which is one of my all time favorites)
  • Very strong sense of clarity. The mids and highs are crystal clear. Again, very reminiscent of the HE60 here as well. Very clear window into the music.
  • The imaging is absolutely top notch. Might be up there with some of the best I've heard, I'll have to compare to my other TOTL cans after a week. Soundstage left to right is not huge (more on that below), but what is done within the overall space is pretty phenomenal.

Pausing here, these three things above in combination are what make it very enticing to my ears. Continuing..

• Soundstage left to right wise is about standard or average if not maybe a bit narrower, depth wise top to bottom is pretty substantial and impressive however. Front to back is also generous, and with the pin point imaging makes for some wow moments (have literally heard a sound within a song that seemed to be behind my head, very cool)
  • The bottom end and overall impact is definitely softer to my earsthan many of my other cans, and I'm powering them with nice Hegel H120 speaker amp that I purposely got for it's high quality power and continuous current it can provide for my hard to drive LS50 monitors. I'll also eventually try them off of my EVO 400 integrated amp (in no rush, they sound amazing out of the Hegel). I'll also have an EC Studio B amp arriving in a week, will give that a go from both the headphone out and speaker taps too, but again, it isn't amplification in my case. This is the only area of improvement I can see, but the bass is detailed and again overall the sound doesn't sound 'incomplete' at all
    • Now as I mentioned, these eerily remind me of the HE60, but with better resolution--almost sound like a more refined version of it. With both of these headphones, it's imo just a tradeoff you make for that level of clarity and detail in the mids and highs (to be clear, it DOES have better impact than the HE60 btw). I listen to a lot of classical, soul, and vocal heavy music, so the other very strong qualities really stand out for these. Can definitely understand someone that listens to bass heavy rock, metal, rap etc. wanting more perceived bass and impact. (I listen to these kinds of genres on my speakers only really)
  • Timbre is pretty good, it doesn't necessarily stand to me out the way other some of the other qualities do, but it's good.
  • Comfort and build is amazing, and I don't really comment much on that aspect often, as I'm a bit indifferent. I don't much care about how headphones look and am pretty flexible comfort wise. They not only look and feel great handling them, but they are very, very comfortable on your head.

The first day I heard these, the lack of impact, again compared to other headphones I have on hand, stood out quite a bit. But on day one as I kept listening, I started to realize just how special everything else about the headphone is. The clarity, resolution, along with great vocals and a damn near perfect tonality make it a really amazing listen, especially for the music I listen to. Day 2 on I was pretty settled in and I've been listening to them quite a bit since.

Feb 6, 2023 at 10:27 PM Post #912 of 1,520
Although a bit light on impact, the Expanse has really strong clarity and resolution, along with amazing tonal balance. I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I'm going to see if I can find a Susvara to round out the comparison, would be really cool to compare the Expanse and Caldera with.

Also, thanks to @eskamobob1, who is totally to blame for me picking up a used EC Studio B lol. Still a bit worried about the parts issues, but assuming if something ever happened, it should still be able to be repaired if needed. Got a good deal on one, with 300B tubes included, which makes it a very affordable amp for what it is. Also didn't know it could be used as a preamp, which is a pretty big deal for me, as I wanted to use a 300B based pre-amp with a high end 2 channel setup once I have the right space.

Now for additional tubes, it sounds like Elrogs are the "it" tubes. I can't tell if @paradoxper is forcing people to spend all their cash like he always does or if they're just that damn good, but I'm pretty sure I'll be finding out. :)

Feb 7, 2023 at 1:02 AM Post #913 of 1,520
If you get the chance to compare the Expanse with the CA-1a I think you should. Been trying mine the past week and I think it trades blows for half the cost.
And as a fan of electrostats you'll probably like the character of the ribbons in the CA-1a.

Also give the Utopia a try on a high output impedance tube amp, I think you'll like the increase in slam from their low frequency impedance bump.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2023 at 1:07 AM Post #914 of 1,520
Although a bit light on impact, the Expanse has really strong clarity and resolution, along with amazing tonal balance. I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I'm going to see if I can find a Susvara to round out the comparison, would be really cool to compare the Expanse and Caldera with.

Also, thanks to @eskamobob1, who is totally to blame for me picking up a used EC Studio B lol. Still a bit worried about the parts issues, but assuming if something ever happened, it should still be able to be repaired if needed. Got a good deal on one, with 300B tubes included, which makes it a very affordable amp for what it is. Also didn't know it could be used as a preamp, which is a pretty big deal for me, as I wanted to use a 300B based pre-amp with a high end 2 channel setup once I have the right space.

Now for additional tubes, it sounds like Elrogs are the "it" tubes. I can't tell if @paradoxper is forcing people to spend all their cash like he always does or if they're just that damn good, but I'm pretty sure I'll be finding out. :)
I'm always right. :grin:

Feb 7, 2023 at 1:21 AM Post #915 of 1,520

Users who are viewing this thread

Back