Video: Lambo vs. Toyota
Apr 18, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #61 of 141
But.... you'd pay a ton more for the Ferrari, a ton more on maintenance, a ton more on insurance, and it'd be slower.

To me, that's a stupid choice.

Edit: I would say the guy who built his own amp would get MORE enjoyment out of it. It's work/reward. The basis of everything. If you build something from scratch, you value it more than if you just bought it.

Apr 18, 2008 at 3:21 AM Post #62 of 141
You don't know what a sump is? oh my! It's the OIL PAN. As for engine flushing, well it's not that essential (especially if you change your oil regularly) , but i'd expect an enthusiast to have heard of it..
I get free oil changes with my servicing, where the factory certified mechanic checks all you say you do, plus a whole bunch more, uses OEM parts, approved oil and is convenient. I don't need all that stuff cluttering up my garage. Plus if something does go wrong - I have a warranty, and accountability.

I suppose you build your own headphones from scratch too, rather than let an unqualified factory worker make one eh?

Oh and you think you wouldn't pay through the nose for insurance on a heavily modified supra? dream on
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 18, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #63 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by cash68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But.... you'd pay a ton more for the Ferrari, a ton more on maintenance, a ton more on insurance, and it'd be slower.

To me, that's a stupid choice.

Edit: I would say the guy who built his own amp would get MORE enjoyment out of it. It's work/reward. The basis of everything. If you build something from scratch, you value it more than if you just bought it.

Sure you do, I'm pretty sure everyone does feel that way when they build it instead of buy it.
BUT: Why are you buying food? buying a house? buying clothes? buying a computer? They are a ton more in terms of cost if you compared it to making it yourself. If buying a car is stupid choice compared to building up one, then obviously theres a lot of choices that u really need to consider (esp note the fact that buying tools and parts and w/e do cost you money too)

IMO: I get to enjoy my life once, I rather be making money during those hours that people "build their cars" for their personal enjoyment... and so that I can use the money to go on vacation with my family a little later on... I personally have a more interesting hobby than to "build cars". Of course, tahts just me though, you might wanna build cars.

Apr 18, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #64 of 141
Quote:

No, I'd call them professional race car drivers, because that's what they are.

you can say that they're so much of an enthusiast that they made it their job!

Apr 18, 2008 at 3:37 AM Post #65 of 141
The build your own amp vs buy your own amp pretty much brings this debate full circle eh?

i wonder who would enjoy their amp more: the person who worked overtime hours for 6 months so he could buy an RSA B-52, or a person who spend 6 months building a beta-22

Apr 18, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #66 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by Walie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The build your own amp vs buy your own amp pretty much brings this debate full circle eh?

i wonder who would enjoy their amp more: the person who worked overtime hours for 6 months so he could buy an RSA B-52, or a person who spend 6 months building a beta-22

What if you were working overtime hours for 6 months BUILDING a beta-22 so that you can sell it and buy a RSA B-52?

Apr 18, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #67 of 141
Quote:

Building something yourself is always more satisfying.

Apr 18, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #68 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by TSi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What if you were working overtime hours for 6 months BUILDING a beta-22 so that you can sell it and buy a RSA B-52?

I think that's frowned upon here... but i get your point
biggrin.gif

Apr 18, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #69 of 141
Quote:

Building something yourself is always more satisfying.

that applies if everyone had the ability/time to build things, but everyone doesn't. Just because a person may not have the capacity to build something by themselves doens't mean they're not entitled to the same degree of satisfaction with a product as someone who did build it on their own.

i think the level of satisfaction with a product is dependent on the amount of work one puts into acquiring it, whether they build it themselves or does work in another capacity to allow them to acquire the product

Apr 18, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #70 of 141
A 1000hp Supra is just a dragster, nothing more. It would make for a horrible daily driver due to its powerband, and it wouldn't be able to keep up with anything with a third of its power on a track because all it would do is break traction when the turbo kicks in. Other than the drivetrain difference, I see it in the same class as a high powered drag racing Honda Civic.

The Lamborghini is in a different class compared to the Supra, its build to be an all around performance car.

Apr 18, 2008 at 7:34 AM Post #71 of 141
Quote:

that applies if everyone had the ability/time to build things, but everyone doesn't. Just because a person may not have the capacity to build something by themselves doens't mean they're not entitled to the same degree of satisfaction with a product as someone who did build it on their own.

i think the level of satisfaction with a product is dependent on the amount of work one puts into acquiring it, whether they build it themselves or does work in another capacity to allow them to acquire the product

You don't get it. Time invested = ability. Time+Ability= what an enthusiast really is. It has nothing to do with entitlement, and everything to do with understanding the fundamentals of vehicle systems, understanding how things work together, understanding how to improve those systems, and so on.

You just cannot 'buy' satisfaction. That you are arguing that you can is why our society is so hell bent on consumerism; people think you can merely purchase happiness. You can't. You can earn it, but by slaving away to make money, you can't really trade that for much satisfaction. Real satisfaction comes in creating/restoring/modifying things, and changing the world around you. I don't mean purely physical objects either, this could also apply to our society, communities, government, etc.

Apr 18, 2008 at 7:50 AM Post #72 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by XxATOLxX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A 1000hp Supra is just a dragster, nothing more. It would make for a horrible daily driver due to its powerband, and it wouldn't be able to keep up with anything with a third of its power on a track because all it would do is break traction when the turbo kicks in. Other than the drivetrain difference, I see it in the same class as a high powered drag racing Honda Civic.

The Lamborghini is in a different class compared to the Supra, its build to be an all around performance car.

Um, no.

Modified Supras handle great.

7:21 --- 168.16 km/h -- Blitz Supra, 650 PS (Autocar magazine 97)

That is a lap time at the Nurburing in Germany. 7:21 is VERY VERY fast, supposedly about as fast as the new GTR Spec V laps it, a bit faster actually. That is a faster laptime than the Bugatti Veyron, the Corvette Z06, Lamborghini Murielago, the Carrera GT, the CCR, the Pagini Zonda, the Jaguar XJ220, the McLaren F1. It turned a faster time on the most famous racetrack in the world than ANY PRODUCTION LAMBORGHINI.

YouTube - SUPRA NURBURGRING challenge Jan,1998

That is a heavily modified Supra, set up for racing. As it is one of the fastest times in ring history, sorry, Supras DO handle quite well when you throw money at the suspension.

In terms of street cars, and not full out race monsters, here is a "mild" supra with mostly off the shelf parts (turbo, exhaust, coilovers, etc) doing a lap in under 8 minutes. It has roughly 500hp.

Again, they handle just fine when modified correctly.

So please... pretty please, with a cherry on top, quit repeating stupid things that aren't true. If an owner ONLY puts a turbo on the supra, sure, it might be outhandled by a lambo...... but there is zero reason to think someone who's pushing 700+hp isn't going to touch the suspension.

Apr 18, 2008 at 9:09 AM Post #73 of 141
Cash68, you are being totally rediculous. Enjoyment, and satisfaction is far different from enthusiasum as being an enthusiast.

Yes, if you work on your own cars you get satisfaction, and you are enthusuiastic enough to clutter your garage, and get messy. If you get free oil changes, and dont have the time to do you own (and, yes i think you should flush an engine, and the sump - and come on, im 15.) BUT THIS IS NOT ENJOYMENT, YOU DONT HAVE TO CAHNGE YOUR OWN OIL TO ENJOY A CAR. Yes, there is satisfaction in it, if you have time to do so, and enjoy it, otherwise, not satisfaction.

However you can enjoy a car just by driving it, and learning to drive it properly, driving it how it is ment to be driven.

At 15, im a passanger, but i get enjoyment from just being in a fast car, imagine what my enjoyment my dad gets with 507bhp under his foot, and the car under his control, and the choice of what he does. And when he does but his foot down and soar up to 145mph, there is enjoyment there, especially knowing you can go to 206mph.

My father is a car enthusiast, loves motorsport, has always had high end cars, and yes used to work on them himself when he had time, he even built a rally car, and raced it.

My dad is now disabled, and has been for over 20years, fortunatley he can still drive, automatics only, but he can drive. And he loves cars so much he bought his dream car when made redundant, he loves cars so much, he has the car still, bu has problems running it on his pension, as he can no longer work, and retired. He may have to sell it
frown.gif
. However he still gets enjoyment from it, and he doesnt do work on it himself, like he would have done 25years ago, but even if he could, and could afford to get dealers to do the work, he would let them. This is a high performance £100,000 car, not a honda, or something easy, however as he cant afford to run it, he probably would if he could, although that conflicts, as if he could, he could work, and would be able to let the pro's do it.

You total and utter ignorance is really getting on my nerves now.

Apr 18, 2008 at 9:16 AM Post #74 of 141
Quote:

Bugatti Veyron, the Corvette Z06, Lamborghini Murielago, the Carrera GT, the CCR, the Pagini Zonda, the Jaguar XJ220, the McLaren F1.

They are far more classy than a souped up Supra, sorry.

If i had the choice i would go for any of the above over a highly tuned supra, although when i start driving, i would give anything for a Supra, in the real world, as its a great car, looks great, fast, and is pretty cool with your mates, however, if money was no object, and i was 10 years older, and could insure one, i would have any of the above, as they are much classier, and imo look even better.

Matt

Apr 18, 2008 at 11:13 AM Post #75 of 141
ignorance is bliss. especially when you want to try and change everyone's view on things.

if I need someone to tell me what satisfaction to myself is, thats not satisfaction.
if I need someone to tell me what enjoyment really means, thats not enjoyment.

lol, real satisfaction comes from "creating/restoring/modifying things, and changing the world around you"... i dont really get how that is real satisfaction compared to "put w/e you want here", unless your personally goal is to MAKE EVERYONE LOVE THE SUPRA so you can achieve satisfaction.

and what if my satisfaction comes from WORKING HARD to earn money to buy things? if that is fake satisfaction, and it isnt really suppose to satisfy me, then hell to the world plz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back