Video: Lambo vs. Toyota
Apr 15, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #16 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anybody who buys a Lambo, or Porsche, or Ferrari or any other car of the sort and drive it slow and/or just commute should be shot. Well, not shot, but you get the idea.

That's such a waste of a car and money. The car is designed to be pushed to the limits. It's designed to be flogged. It kills me to see people driving those cars, and it NEVER being driven like it's designed to be. Don't get me wrong, I don't think owning one of those gives you the right to drive like an idiot 24/7, but jeez, that car is dying in the garage. It's like buying a greyhound puppy and letting it live in a 1 bedroom apartment it's whole life. It doesn't have to be a racer, but jeez, it's cruel to not let it stretch it's legs every once in awhile!!!!

Here's some info on the Supra:

Lamborghini LP 640 vs. Toyota Supra (1200 PS)

l006.jpg

That turbo is the size of a helmet, lol.

wow thats some serious modding of that engine! very good!

Apr 15, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #17 of 141
Quote:

Exactly, you have twice as many cylinders, and is a SUPERCAR. Shows how a turbo is a great equalizer.

Lag or not....bottom line is, the lambo got worked.

For the Lambo to be 'worked' the Supra would have to prove it's worth across the whole spectrum of performance criteria:

Power - not just Dyno data but real world, useable
Torque
Aerodynamics
Mechanical grip/traction - in all conditions (Supra in the wet.....)
Design & Engineering Integrity
Engine Soundtrack
Soul
Heritage

Pretty sure the Supra only manages to compete on the power comparison.

Definitely agree on the lunatic behaviour of doing this on the roads. Track days are now very popular in UK & Europe generally, to the point where many of the sports car companies produce lightweight track models specifically for these events.

Apr 15, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #19 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by poo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's all about "status" eh? Sad...

of course its all about status, life has always been about status... you dont usually see people trying to rank down from being rich to poor. I'm pretty sure everyone tries to work their way up.

I mean, if no one cared about status, what would promotion, pay raise, going to school all be for?

Sure you can be happy without buying something classy or expensive, but that doesnt really mean much if your life goal wasnt to strive for something better.

Quote:

Anybody who buys a Lambo, or Porsche, or Ferrari or any other car of the sort and drive it slow and/or just commute should be shot. Well, not shot, but you get the idea.

That's such a waste of a car and money. The car is designed to be pushed to the limits. It's designed to be flogged. It kills me to see people driving those cars, and it NEVER being driven like it's designed to be. Don't get me wrong, I don't think owning one of those gives you the right to drive like an idiot 24/7, but jeez, that car is dying in the garage. It's like buying a greyhound puppy and letting it live in a 1 bedroom apartment it's whole life. It doesn't have to be a racer, but jeez, it's cruel to not let it stretch it's legs every once in awhile!!!!

I personally wouldn't say that buying those kinda cars to commute is bad... I mean, its still better than just keeping it in the garage or just bringing it to a car show. And also, people who own those kinda cars wouldn't really have a nice car and then a shyt car like a ford focus lying around.

But when you are that rich, you kinda value your life differently. I agree that driving stupidly fast is amazing, but driving stupidly fast on a public road is just dumb. I also agree that a car should be used to its performance once in a while, but it doesnt mean that when u see someone with a 1/2 decent car, u should try and wipe them out.

Apr 15, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #20 of 141
In summary, the Lamborghini car is obviously better. And if the manufacturers of the two cars were switched, the Lamborghini would still be obviously better in all ways including "soul".

Apr 15, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #21 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by K2Grey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In summary, the Lamborghini car is obviously better. And if the manufacturers of the two cars were switched, the Lamborghini would still be obviously better in all ways including "soul".

Obviously the price premium that exotica like Lamborghinis and Ferraris command over similar performing Z06s and GT-Rs is justified by the exorbitant cost of obtaining souls to imbue them with.

Apr 16, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #23 of 141
The plain fact is, you can't judge a car on looks/class and ability on a track at the same time and come up with a concensus.

Supra's ARE known as a scary car to drive when compared to the other sub-supercar sports cars, and there are more manageable/forgiving cars on the track. PS, I think part of the reason the Lambo was slow was cos of the weight in the driver's seat
wink.gif

Apr 16, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #24 of 141
the toyota was made to kill everything with upgrades. imagine someone caring to do similar upgrades to the lambourgini. in the end, winning a race does not make it anything else than an overclocked toyota supra: a car that is known as a poor man's upgradeable patch-kit car.

lambourgini is about status and about having world class design: even if someties it is not the nicest looking. japanese cars do much right but leave out design, good interior construction among others.

any overclocked shyte car should be able to beat any real car in just about any race. in the end it is not what real car got beat, but why not just in the first place either buy a good car rather than upgrade parts that will deteriorate or only get you killed or ticketed rather than getting a car that by virtue of ownership is already a prize?

it is like headphones: why balance a single ended, then buy the most powerful amp, balanced setup etc to get it to sound somewhat like or better in certain areas than a top tier stax?

in other words: that is what some poeple do. some buy the expensive and don't look back. some do the opposite and go for the little ones and upgrade them.

others, they get it all.

Apr 16, 2008 at 4:45 AM Post #25 of 141
Yeah you can't make concrete assumptions between a stock (or lightly modded) car vs a heavily modified one.

But you can compare the price/performance of any two cars, modded or not. The Toyota wins in that case.
biggrin.gif

Apr 16, 2008 at 5:59 AM Post #26 of 141
I don't think you people appreciate the Supra very well. It's a rare car, and when new, it was relatively affordable. With a few grand in upgrades, you could DOUBLE the power output quite easily. It's a bargain supercar. Also, some of you say the Supra lacks class.

I've seen quite a few of the newer lambos... murcialagos, and gallardos. You know what the all the owners lack? Class. Rich trust found douchebags. People who purchase something like a lambo are the most insecure, excessive egomaniacs you've ever met. Case in point?

VIDEO: The old "cover the Carrera GT with Post-It notes" trick - Autoblog

Look at the owners of these cars. They're all fake self absorbed people. And yet somehow, they have class, while the owner of the Supra who was intelligent enough to perform modifications instead of just having a huge bank account lacks class?

Come on.

Apr 16, 2008 at 8:18 AM Post #27 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by TSi
of course its all about status, life has always been about status... you dont usually see people trying to rank down from being rich to poor. I'm pretty sure everyone tries to work their way up.

I mean, if no one cared about status, what would promotion, pay raise, going to school all be for?

Sure you can be happy without buying something classy or expensive, but that doesnt really mean much if your life goal wasnt to strive for something better.

Financial status != social status. There are many very expensive hobbies requiring healthy income streams to support that don't result in any appreciable social status improvement. You're on a forum for one such hobby right now. Car modification, machine guns, model railroading happen to be others.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any overclocked shyte car should be able to beat any real car in just about any race. in the end it is not what real car got beat, but why not just in the first place either buy a good car rather than upgrade parts that will deteriorate or only get you killed or ticketed rather than getting a car that by virtue of ownership is already a prize?

You answered your own question. The set of people who fall in the auto enthusiast category aren't all flush with cash. They want a fast car and modifying promising platforms is a time honored way of sidestepping the huge premiums auto manufacturers put on their top performing models and getting the maximum performance per dollar.

You and other outsiders to the subculture may not be impressed, but it's a pretty sure thing that the people who do this sort of thing really don't give a damn.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cash68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look at the owners of these cars. They're all fake self absorbed people. And yet somehow, they have class, while the owner of the Supra who was intelligent enough to perform modifications instead of just having a huge bank account lacks class?

Come on.

Money == class. You obviously need to report back for another round of capitalist indoctrination.

Apr 16, 2008 at 10:31 AM Post #28 of 141
Quote:

I totally agree, I hate getting behing a new corvette with a v8 going 50 in the fast lane w/ a speed limit of 80...ghey.

Apr 16, 2008 at 1:08 PM Post #29 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by cash68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think you people appreciate the Supra very well. It's a rare car, and when new, it was relatively affordable. With a few grand in upgrades, you could DOUBLE the power output quite easily. It's a bargain supercar. Also, some of you say the Supra lacks class.

Come on.

Whether the car has class is independent of it's owner, it is just unfortunate that often people with money do indeed lack class. In this case though I suspect real money was put into the Supra and as previously mentioned there is a possibility that the Lambo driver owns both cars.

In the case of Lamborghini the heritage gives the marque class, born from a tractor manufacturer that decided to build something to challenge Ferrari.

Apr 16, 2008 at 1:57 PM Post #30 of 141
Wow, the lambo is sweet. Love the sound. And i get scared in my dads CL55 AMG lol.

The contest isnt fair. If you tuned the Lambo the ammount the supra is tuned, the Lambo would win, although still unfair as one comes stock with 200 odd bhp, and the other 600 odd lol. Cornering is important too! The supra would drift i reckon, and the lambo would grip much better, but still be a handful at times.

My dads CL55 is amazing. Its just grips and grips and grips, and holds me, my sister, my dads wheelchair, and all our bags for the weekend at his (alot in my sisters case -No pun intended haha!) and also crusies even more comfortably with the suspension raised, and abc cornering turned off.

The sheer excitment of the acceleration, combined with barley braking for corners is so amazing. Shame petrol costs so much here, and you americans whine! £1.08 a litre here now! My dad cant afford to keep it anymore
frown.gif

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back