vic firth s1h1
Oct 5, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #4 of 9
I highly doubt that most people have tried these, so we can't say if they'll get better or improve with more power but there really aren't any...disadvantages to a smaller driver. Bigger drivers have more ability to move more air, therefore produce more bass. Smaller drivers (on the cheap end, not taking the Teslas, Ring Drivers, or planar magnetics into account, and in my experience)  usually have more finesse. Heck, AKG uses 33mm drivers for the K240's. Bigger doesn't always mean better in cases like this. 

Oct 5, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #5 of 9
If your not satisfied by the performance with your iPod, a small portable amp would be good. Maybe a cheap fiio e5? 

Oct 5, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E5-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B001P9EQH8

this amp?

and the older model of the vic firth phones had 50mm drivers, while these newer edition ones have 40mm ones. do you think they did this for better quality sound, or just for cost cuts?

and am i hearing my headphones at full power when connected to a laptop?

many thanks

Yes, thats the E5. 

Regarding the drivers, its hard to say...headphone manufacturers tend to use new drivers version on their headphones for different reasons. 
If your headphones goes a bit louder with your laptop, it does have more driving power than your iPod. Im not sure if they are being driven at full power. 

I would like to help more, but i dont have experience with your headphone model. Hope this helps. 

Oct 5, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
thanks for your help. and on an off topic note, why would my laptop speaker not work until i turn the sound up to very high, then itll worth no matter what volume i lower it until? what could be the problem?

Something wrong with your laptop speakers, or sound drivers? are they up to date? 
take a look at the computer audio section, im sure the guys there are able to help. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back