Very efficient over-the-ear phone for air travel?
Apr 15, 2004 at 5:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

mitebbots

New Head-Fier
Something i can use without an amp and have reasonable levels. Size is not an issue. I bought a pair of Shure E2s for my last trip and really disliked them. They did not sound great and very uncomfortable. I'd rather just have something that covers the ear. As long as the plane noise is attenuated reasonably i'll be ok. The main thing is the phones need to be efficeint enough to use with a small mp3/CD player. Figure $100 or so.

Apr 15, 2004 at 7:32 PM Post #4 of 26
Oops, didn't seem the dollar amount.

$100, that's quite tough. I had the PXC250 for a while, but finally sold it, it just didn't cut the outside noise by all that much.

Now I have the ER4P, its isolation is superior to the PXC250. But it's over $200.

Want to try the Sony V600? It has large earcups that covers your ears very nicely. Its noise isolation capabilities is just as good as the PXC250 if not better. I have one I am thinking about getting rid of, PM me if you are interested.

Apr 15, 2004 at 8:14 PM Post #5 of 26
I'd suggest the Sony V6's over the V600's anyday. Don't get them confused. The V600's are inferior to the V6's in almost every way.

Apr 16, 2004 at 12:53 AM Post #7 of 26
I'm being a parrot, but I really like the Senn HD25-1's. Very easy to drive from a portable. Good isolation. Goes extra loud to combat the plane noises.

Maybe you could buy a pair of ER-20 earplugs, and then wear the HD25's, and then crank it extra loud...
basshead.gif

Apr 16, 2004 at 1:18 AM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Chinchy
I'm being a parrot, but I really like the Senn HD25-1's. Very easy to drive from a portable. Good isolation. Goes extra loud to combat the plane noises.

Where do I find the HD-25-1? I see the HD-25. These are different correct?

Maybe you could buy a pair of ER-20 earplugs, and then wear the HD25's, and then crank it extra loud...
basshead.gif

Apr 17, 2004 at 2:29 PM Post #10 of 26
Do you want circumaural or supra-aural? I find my new PX200's to be great little phones for $50.

Apr 17, 2004 at 3:07 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Superbaldguy
Do you want circumaural or supra-aural? I find my new PX200's to be great little phones for $50.

How well would they cut out external noise on the plane tho? Are they comfortable? price seems right. I hope they would at least sound better than the dumb Shure E2s. Are they highly efficient? Will not have an amplifier.

Apr 17, 2004 at 3:31 PM Post #12 of 26
They're 32 ohms in impedance and are louder than my D22's, which are rated at 102 dB/1 mW. I'd say the PX200's are close to the D66's which are 106 dB.

Apr 17, 2004 at 3:34 PM Post #13 of 26
The PX200 wont cut out much plane noise. I had the PX250, without the noise guard on, it didn't cut out much noise at all. I think the problem is the small earcups.

Quote:

Originally posted by mitebbots
How well would they cut out external noise on the plane tho? Are they comfortable? price seems right. I hope they would at least sound better than the dumb Shure E2s. Are they highly efficient? Will not have an amplifier.

Apr 17, 2004 at 5:37 PM Post #14 of 26
Hi,

I have a pair of Etymotic ER-6's. At first I was not too impressed. As I have used them and taken them in loud environments, I have become more and more satisfied. They do a number of things well. With the exception of the bass they have the clarity and detail that I prize in my Stax. The are lean in the bass; it is there if it is "really" there, but it is on the lean side. The sound isolation is wonderful especially on the train and airplanes. Depending on your source they may or may not play loud enough without an amp. They do have the ability to play very loud with enough power behind them so caveat emptor (they can damage your hearing as the distortion is very low you may be tempted to play them louder than necessary). Best of all they are about $100.00 (delivered) on e-Bay. With the right source (possibly with a bit of Eq. - perish the thought) they are very good indeed and worth an audition.

Just remember, you will need to break them in. I am not sure if the breaking in is for the headphone or for the user to get used to them (getting used to what the sound is like, proper insertion technique into the ear canal, achieving a good seal). I think it is the later rather than the former.

(Sorry, I just re-read and noted that you wanted over the ear.)

Buenos fuerte!

Apr 17, 2004 at 7:04 PM Post #15 of 26
I don't think the Etys are the $100 solution that mitebbots seeks, but they would be the best flying headphones, bar none.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back