Verum Audio - Exciting high performance DIY planar
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 22, 2019 at 6:46 PM Post #1,172 of 1,486
Tried using no pads today and the sound is so clear, life like and detailed that you can almost count the number of fiddles in the violin section when listening to a symphonic recording .
No pads?
upload_2019-12-22_18-40-7.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2019-12-22_18-39-37.jpeg
    upload_2019-12-22_18-39-37.jpeg
    4.4 KB · Views: 0
Dec 23, 2019 at 12:04 AM Post #1,173 of 1,486
Good news! Hope you like them.

Were you told how much longer the zebranos would take to be ready? I also ordered a pair about a month ago, and just wondering how much longer it might be. Can’t wait to get them.
Thanks!

No, unfortunately not.

Hope you get them soon

Dec 28, 2019 at 1:00 AM Post #1,174 of 1,486
After some weeks with the perforated leather pads I changed back to stock pads. At the moment again they are my favorites. The tonality here I like the most. Bass is lacking a bit with the perforated pads I will keep for special missions :wink:

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #1,176 of 1,486
Mine should arrive tomorrow or Friday.

I expect them to slide somewhere between the HE4XX and CB1 tonality wise, but will hopefully outperform both.

I'll be reporting back, though I'd really like to point out that the CB1 and HE4XX are incredible value, so Verum won't have it easy :)

Jan 1, 2020 at 11:08 PM Post #1,177 of 1,486
Mine should arrive tomorrow or Friday.

I expect them to slide somewhere between the HE4XX and CB1 tonality wise, but will hopefully outperform both.

I'll be reporting back, though I'd really like to point out that the CB1 and HE4XX are incredible value, so Verum won't have it easy :)
Looking forward to your impressions, Happy New Year! Happy New Year to all of course.

Jan 2, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #1,178 of 1,486
Happy new year to you as well, and everyone else here!

So, the headphone arrived earlier today (V1.2 with improved cable, fenestrated pads and 3.5mm sockets) and as I put my thoughts on paper, the one thing that keeps coming back is that this is, in my opinion, probably the most tonally correct headphone outside the HE1 that I've heard to date.

The balance top to bottom is essentially perfect. PRaT is very good, bass has good slam, midrange is smooth, treble is a little less airy than I'd like but I don't perceive any major deficiencies.

Soundstage is decent, moderately wide and spacious (I suspect that a more permeable backing grill would improve this a little), imaging is pretty accurate within the medium-sized space. Layering may suffer a little bit in very busy passages but details have been popping out surprisingly well so far. Overall holographicity of the sound is very good and the image is very enveloping but still retaining decent dimension. I'd say it combines some of the soundstage qualities of the larger headphones and blends it with a more conventional imaging of typical headphones. While something about the way the HEX imaged for example, felt odd to me, here I like the imaging a lot. The aforementioned slight lack of air is perceptible when focused on (mostly in exposed solo vocals or instruments) but I wouldn't say it significantly impairs enjoyment

Vocals are not as upfront as some other headphones, but I think the balance there is just perfect in a mix with other instruments. They have a nice smoothness to them so sibilance will not be an issue for sensitive folks like me. Guitars, both electric and acoustic, as well as other plucked instruments have great body and definition. Piano sounds marvelous, with very good body. Synths have good texture too and percussion has very good impact and snap to it.

There is good heft down low and sub-bass is super clean, so while it has good presence and texture it won't quite do the rattle that closed headphones can. In terms of open backs though, I am not sure any headphone can do it much better.

I ordered my pair with the fenestrated leather pads, and those are the only pads I have. Comfort wise, these are actually pretty good and they don't feel very heavy, which I attribute to a good weight distribution. These feel lighter than older Audeze and Hifiman. Adjusting the headband with the screw mechanism was a cinch and so that was my one area of concern that was quickly squished. Build quality feels very solid, more so than some of the more expensive headphones that I've owned and the overall looks give a very wholesome, steampunk vibe which I quite like. Cable feels fine and the angled earpads are decent too - firmer and hold shape better than most which I like for comfort.

In terms of hard to drive, it is on par with my HE4XX, perhaps a tiny bit more difficult. My R2R11 drives it beautifully.

In direct comparison to the HEX, the only advantage of the X I can think of is the vocals and how romantic they sounded. They are less forward on the Verums but probably more truthful. The sub-bass dug with a bit more authority on the EdX as well while it stays very clean on the Vs. In terms of overall cohesiveness, timbre and staging though, the HEX is inferior, IMO.

The HE4XX in comparison sounds more airy and trebly, but the soundstage does not have that holographic/enveloping feeling, vocals can sound tiny and overall the sound lacks body.

Frankly, this puts most headphones to shame and as an overall performer, I struggle to think of a better headphone, regardless of price range. Tonality is excellent - brass, strings, woodwinds, percussion, vocals, synths, you name it. Bass is very good. Dynamics are great. Soundstage is decent enough to not bother me and capable of expanding with the music. Imaging is great. Vocals sound very life-like. Build and comfort is decent. It pretty much makes my HE4XX obsolete and what I hoped the HEX would be. They might not be as hyper detailed as the Utopia, spacious as the HD800S or quick like an 009 or Lambdas, but they never lost composure regardless of what genre or song I've thrown at them which is very rare, more so at an affordable price. A true all-rounder headphone that is equally at home with popular music as is with soundtracks!

There are very few things that I feel need improving and none of them are major enough to be a deal breaker to me (a bit more air to the sound would be nice, so would a bit more grit in the sub). For ~390$, this is a no-brainer and a bargain. The ~1.5 months wait time, while long, was totally worth it and I absolutely salute Verum Audio and Igor/Garuspik for what they've accomplished here!

Pros:
+ overall tonality
+ timbre of instruments
+ sound cohesiveness
+ musical yet detailed
+ good balance between intimate and spacious
+ price, price, price
+ feels well-built
+ decent comfort
+ interesting aesthetics

Cons:
- lacks a bit of air
- sub-bass a bit on the leaner side
- longer delivery time

Good for: casual to more serious listening, all-rounder genre master, media consumption (movies / games)

Less ideal for: uber-critical listening, portable use

IMG_20200102_140554.jpg

IMG_20200102_140618.jpg

IMG_20200102_140639.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #1,180 of 1,486
I wouldn't probably want more overall, but I have no way to test given I've only received fenestrated pads and not the original.

Jan 2, 2020 at 8:51 AM Post #1,181 of 1,486
@conquerator2 Wow, really amazing news, so happy that you are this pleased! Keep us updated as over time we learn new things, both good and bad about a signature. This sounds very promising indeed and given the appropriate price point I can only imagine what a great value to performance the headphone represents.

Jan 2, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #1,182 of 1,486
Update after a couple more hours - these headphones are actually more resolving than I gave them credit for and I am pretty sure they're more capable {likely thanks to that superior timbre resolution} of differentiating within a string, drum or guitar section; as in, it is easier to single out individual instruments. The sub-bass is a bit less potent than the rest of the bass frequencies, but it is what it is, given this is an open headphone... Certainly not the worst. But I am hearing more into the music than I have before; probably a result of having a smooth, yet resolving signature w/o fatigue. Still very impressed. The background is also pretty black which helps with separation. Electric guitars sound deliciously crunchy <3

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #1,183 of 1,486
Still waiting......about ready to give up. I could put the money elsewhere.

Jan 3, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #1,184 of 1,486
Listened some more today and done a bit of music mixing as well. I felt the Verum accurate enough for serious mixing work, and they gave a good insight into the music for me to confidently make decisions

The headband is not very soft, so it does create some pressure points after a bit of time, so if that is updated, I'd definitely give the new one a try.

Overall, still really impressed.

Jan 4, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #1,185 of 1,486
Still really loving this. Usually, headphone honeymoons wouldn't last longer than a day for me at which point I'd start focusing more on the flaws than what I enjoy. Don't see that happening here, given the lack of major flaws.

Done some more mixing today and boy, is it a lot of fun with these and much easier than most headphones, given the tonality that doesn't require much compensating for.

Comfort I was able to improve by adjusting the headband a little higher, so there's less snugness and top pressure. Given the release of the improved headband is expected in the coming weeks, this quibble will probably no longer apply either.

Back to fun / work :) Still mentally questioning the price / performance tier the R2R11 - Verums offer here, though I imagine most amps would sound similar. Just need to play nice with low impedance

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back