Verum Audio - Exciting high performance DIY planar
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 20, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #1,036 of 1,486
I'm sorry, you're overstating Verum capabilities. It's not that close. Just providing realistic expectations here.
This is a hobby of inches and exaggeration. People seem to think 4k headphone = massive jump, it isn't. Drivers are not expensive. A good driver in a £300 headphone can be comparable to a 4k one if you cut out all the marketing BS.

Nov 20, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #1,037 of 1,486
This is a hobby of inches and exaggeration. People seem to think 4k headphone = massive jump, it isn't. Drivers are not expensive. A good driver in a £300 headphone can be comparable to a 4k one if you cut out all the marketing BS.
I'm not recommending or stating that $$ headphones are worth the value, I'm just talking in terms of technical performance. Verum 1 is at about right price-point IMO. It's not a headphone I think of being at a reference class, but that doesn't mean it's not a fun headphone for those into it.

Without a doubt Verum 1 has better value due to it's price. The thing about this hobby when it comes to comparisons is that one may think slight difference, and another may think that slight is greatly significant to them.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2019 at 8:19 PM Post #1,038 of 1,486
I'm not recommending or stating that $$ headphones are worth the value, I'm just talking in terms of technical performance. Verum 1 is at about right price-point IMO. It's not a headphone I think of being at a reference class, but that doesn't mean it's not a fun headphone for those into it.

Without a doubt Verum 1 has better value due to it's price.
Out resolves most headphones I've owned. Bested my LCD-3F, 2C, and 2F I owned. The driver is extremely capable.

Nov 20, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #1,039 of 1,486
Out resolves most headphones I've owned. Bested my LCD-3F, 2C, and 2F I owned. The driver is extremely capable.
Verum 1?! I'm not a fan of 2 series, and I think 3F is similar, but improved a bit, and can't agree. 3 is ok, but not worse than Verum 1 in terms of technicalities. I think 2 & 3 resolves about the same level with 3 having better tonal balance.

Nov 20, 2019 at 8:26 PM Post #1,040 of 1,486
I have to agree with silverears. The Verums are decent for the price but in no way are they even close to Utopias or LCD4s. Those two are in a completely different league.

Nov 20, 2019 at 11:42 PM Post #1,043 of 1,486
I'm sorry, you're overstating Verum capabilities. It's not that close. Just providing realistic expectations here.

want to explain more on the subject?

Without a doubt Verum 1 has better value due to it's price. The thing about this hobby when it comes to comparisons is that one may think slight difference, and another may think that slight is greatly significant to them.

what do you think is at the top of reference class?

supposing reference means doing everything, bass, vocals, treble, extremely well and not lacking or compensating for specific qualities by having to have less quantity andor quality in any other department at all.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2019 at 6:58 AM Post #1,044 of 1,486
I started with headphones, when I was 12 years of age, and I will be 80 years old next year. I compared the Verum with my HEK V1, HD800, and sold both, and kept the V1. Is it better than those two?.NO, but it gets to perhaps 90% plus, and that's good enough for me.Its no good going into fine detail as to why, because of my age, and it won't be relevant to most people on here.I found the same with ChiFi, and sold my more expensive in ears, but thats another story.

Nov 21, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #1,045 of 1,486
I started with headphones, when I was 12 years of age, and I will be 80 years old next year. I compared the Verum with my HEK V1, HD800, and sold both, and kept the V1. Is it better than those two?.NO, but it gets to perhaps 90% plus, and that's good enough for me.Its no good going into fine detail as to why, because of my age, and it won't be relevant to most people on here.I found the same with ChiFi, and sold my more expensive in ears, but thats another story.

I think the HD800 is the perfect example of why the Verum 1 is so great. The HD800 is an extremely highly regarded headphone that is very expensive, yet has a fatal flaw. Un-modded, it physically pains or fatigues most people. It requires modding to be tolerable. Then if you mod & eq it, it looses some of its amazing imaging capabilities.

This is why Verum 1 is so damn good. It is mid-fi priced but has zero significant flaws and tonally just sounds right. The waiting time for orders and clunky aesthetic will keep many from enjoying it but I hope 1.2 and 2 really see broad adoption. Verum 1 is the best all around headphone I have owned out of about 50 sets and is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than many of those. Verum 1 is priced way below the competition that it trades blows with.

Nov 21, 2019 at 8:53 AM Post #1,046 of 1,486
Are you using the add-on angled pads that Verum sells or the stock pads?

I'll have to experiment with some felt either on the inside of the stock pads
[...]
Changing pads would move these up in price by much more than adding some felt, so I'm trying to avoid that.

Nov 22, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #1,047 of 1,486
it's kinda bothering me that the "depth" of the stage seems realized through a disconnection, where there's some "empty space" inserted between me and the music
To be precise, this bothers me mainly when listening to vocals-centric music, because the usual intimacy produced by headphones isn't there. And then I remember that this was kinda the point - the design goal was to have these sound more like speakers than like headphones, and in this it was a success. :smile:

Nov 23, 2019 at 4:22 AM Post #1,048 of 1,486
I think the HD800 is the perfect example of why the Verum 1 is so great. The HD800 is an extremely highly regarded headphone that is very expensive, yet has a fatal flaw. Un-modded, it physically pains or fatigues most people. It requires modding to be tolerable. Then if you mod & eq it, it looses some of its amazing imaging capabilities.

This is why Verum 1 is so damn good. It is mid-fi priced but has zero significant flaws and tonally just sounds right. The waiting time for orders and clunky aesthetic will keep many from enjoying it but I hope 1.2 and 2 really see broad adoption. Verum 1 is the best all around headphone I have owned out of about 50 sets and is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than many of those. Verum 1 is priced way below the competition that it trades blows with.
The HD800 IMO has two strengths, It's micro detail ability and the clean response. I can honestly say the HD800 sounds terrible, the timbre is so bad, metalic, lean, dry, weird peaks, huge upper mid dip.

I personally don't care about having the most resolving driver, as long as it's capabilities are good enough I value the tone, smoothness, engagement and emotion more.

My cheapo Koss Porta Pro gives me more emotional engagement over the HD800 and 95% of the headphones I've owned and theure not to shabby at resolution either.

Nov 23, 2019 at 6:30 AM Post #1,049 of 1,486
While the Verum 1 is a good HP, it has its greatest sonic strength in its ability to let the user enjoy the music.
At 350 USD I dont fault it, but doing a comparison with say my Final Sonorous VI shows up the vagueness ( not pinpoint imaging ) that better HP is capable of.
Against the TOTL HP it would be blatantly untrue to even put the Verum 1 even 2-3 levels below them. Again I stress that I love my Verum 1's and use them with my Iphone 11, my Onkyo DAP-1, but when u scale up to my main tube or class A SS HP system driving my HD800 and HE560 and ABYSS AB1266 Phi/CC.. it does not reach the heights of those HP's

Nov 23, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #1,050 of 1,486
I don't know but others but my experience with Verum shows that it needs a bit more current behind to really step up a notch. And yes it gets loud enough with practically anything, but that's not my point.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back