Verum Audio - Exciting high performance DIY planar
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 23, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #16 of 1,486
I kind of messaged him on the colors, It seemed he was only doing Carbon with Gold. I thought Carbon/Silver and Gold/Wood made more sense.

Aug 23, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #17 of 1,486
F&@#!. My amps are not meant for 12 ohm cans--SMSL M6 and Little Dot I+ This would cost me $480-ish (ODAC/O2+Verums). I'm so tempted...but I only have $2k in savings. I guess I bank on xmas to replenish my funds, reducing it to $180 out of pocket.

Apparently the SMSL M6 can be modified to operate at low impedance by jumping two resistors by the output (bad practice to include these in the build anyway)...so I may be able to get away with just the cans.

If anyone has advice, and an idea of whether the resistor mod would be enough, that would be amazing; I really want a linear, neutral pair of planars...I need an endgame, or at least a place to take a break.

Aug 23, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #18 of 1,486
I really want a linear, neutral pair of planars...I need an endgame, or at least a place to take a break.

FYI, per Zeos's video review, these are definitely NOT neutral. Keep in mind, measurement charts and ears can give two completely different assessments.

Aug 23, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #19 of 1,486
FYI, per Zeos's video review, these are definitely NOT neutral. Keep in mind, measurement charts and ears can give two completely different assessments.

Ah well. Thanks for the heads-up! Or head-fis-up or whatever.

Aug 23, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #20 of 1,486
My personal experience with Verum 1 is that they are more neutral than 98% of the headphones out there. As I said in my review, they can be shifted from dark/warm to bright depending on the DAC/amp used.

I could easily use these for mixing and it would translate well to speakers. I only heard a preproduction prototype but additional measurements have been posted and I can cross reference those to see that they show a very neutral headphone as well.

(I haven't watched Zeos' video review yet so I can only give my opnion.)

Aug 23, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #21 of 1,486
My personal experience with Verum 1 is that they are more neutral than 98% of the headphones out there...additional measurements have been posted and...show a very neutral headphone as well.

Ahhhh it's Sergeant Peanut! Well now I'll have to buy them and listen to settle this. Curses. The most neutral thing I have is a pair of HE400I's carefully and objectively EQ'd to compensate for the inherent nonlinearity. I figure this would serve as a decent reference, given their low distortion rates.

Too bad the Verums won't arrive until January...

Still wondering about the amp issue. I may just try the mod on the SMSL and then take an ohm meter to 'er and see what she reports.

Aug 23, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #22 of 1,486
Ahhhh it's Sergeant Peanut! Well now I'll have to buy them and listen to settle this. Curses. The most neutral thing I have is a pair of HE400I's carefully and objectively EQ'd to compensate for the inherent nonlinearity. I figure this would serve as a decent reference, given their low distortion rates.
It's Colonel Skippy to you! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Verum is like an improved HE-400i. Less sucked out midrange/treble and not as much 10kHz tizz. I think you would enjoy it.

I'll post pad rolling measurements when I get my pair.

Aug 23, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #23 of 1,486
Damn skippy!

Well that sounds awesome! I love the 400I's (especially the soundstage...which I head is reduced to LDC-2 levels on the Verums). The differences you mention would resolve my only complaints regarding the 400I's, and the reason I EQ them.

You think they'd last me more than 6 months in terms of satiety with my sound system? I figure after that, the next and last upgrade would probably be to a set of STAX 300's or 700's if I could find the money.

I'm still blown away at the MSRP on these.

Awesome. :)

Aug 24, 2018 at 12:46 AM Post #25 of 1,486
From his DIY post I read how he piss off some very positive advise just because he's too sensitive on the honor of his personality(or Nationality). That's a sign.

A positive or negative sign?

Aug 24, 2018 at 2:44 AM Post #26 of 1,486
I would like to believe this guy.
From his DIY post I read how he piss off some very positive advise just because he's too sensitive on the honor of his personality(or Nationality). That's a sign.
If you're referring to @Garuspik, I haven't read everything he's written but he does sometimes come across as a little cheeky in his responses. I think he's trying to be cute or use sarcasm (with doesn't translate well over the internet) and there is the added language barrier as I believe English is not his native language.

A lot of people are armchair engineers, mass production experts and DIY extraordinaires. I'm not sure how @Garuspik will achieve mass production at the target price he has selected but he seems very confident at being able to do so. He's also proven himself by putting out multiple samples for reviewers that were considered to sound good.

I have no stake in this other than to wish @Garuspik all the success he can achieve.

Aug 25, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #28 of 1,486
If you're referring to @Garuspik, I haven't read everything he's written but he does sometimes come across as a little cheeky in his responses. I think he's trying to be cute or use sarcasm (with doesn't translate well over the internet) and there is the added language barrier as I believe English is not his native language.

A lot of people are armchair engineers, mass production experts and DIY extraordinaires. I'm not sure how @Garuspik will achieve mass production at the target price he has selected but he seems very confident at being able to do so. He's also proven himself by putting out multiple samples for reviewers that were considered to sound good.

I have no stake in this other than to wish @Garuspik all the success he can achieve.

I believe he revealed the main clue in one of his posts: in the Ukraine, $300 is an average monthly salary. This iss why conversion rates are awesome when they tip in your favor.

Aug 25, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #29 of 1,486
I believe he revealed the main clue in one of his posts: in the Ukraine, $300 is an average monthly salary. This iss why conversion rates are awesome when they tip in your favor.

Oooh yeah I hadn't considered that. In the post-soviet bloc, he'll be making killing. I bet he'll deliver. I'm betting $350, as a matter of fact. No card counting in this game.

Aug 27, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #30 of 1,486
There was a 3rd update on the Kickstarter regarding warranty of the Verums:

"Hi. Recently I've got numerous questions about warranty.

As you understand, with a probability of 99,999% I don't have a service center in your city but as a responsible creator I need to explain how warranty service will be performed:

• Warranty on every part of headphones except pleather headband and earpads: 2 years
  • Warranty on headband and earpads: 1 year
  • To perform service headphones need to be shipped to Ukraine at the expense of the buyer
  • If problem occurred because of manufacturing problems unit will be sent back at the expense of the manufacturer.
  • If problem occurred not throught the fault of the manufacturer - repairs won't be free and shipping back will be at the expense of the buyer.
  • If unit will arrive with physical damage buyer should notify manufacturer within 1 week from the date of delivery. I take full responsibility for good packaging.
  • If unit has physical damage and manufacturer wasn't notified within 1 week from the date of delivery this is not considered to be a warranty case."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back