VentureCraft Go-DAP DAC/Amp /Series: Go-DAP X (13th May 2012) and Go-DAP TT (21st May 2013)
Nov 19, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #151 of 507
Quote:
Can only speak to the Go DAP X ~ Black and Miracles. I thought they complimented each other well. Absoloutly no problem 'pushing' them. As a USB DAC/AMP i could not turn the volume more than 40% or too loud. At the lowest setting the sound was smooth even no imbalance.

With iPhone and iPod, the volume seemed even stronger.

I found the sound quality very good. It does not seem that such a detailed and rich sound can come from something so small but it does.

Listening to a wall wart DAC/AMP right now.......keep telling myself that this should sound better.....not sure that it does.

Also I notice you have a Fostex HP_P1. How does the GO-DAP compare to that?

Nov 19, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #152 of 507
Quote:
Thank you for your reply. I am hoping a few other people will have some opinions. I was just about to pull the trigger on the Leckerton when I started reading that the AMP portion is of the best on the market, while the DAC portion leaves a bit to be desired. I would rather pay more for a higher quality unit, rather than be disappointed with a cheaper item. Either way, I want a single box portable solution. 

Very smart thinking......I agree 100%. Good luck!

Nov 20, 2012 at 4:32 AM Post #153 of 507
I think I may have decided on the GO-DAP X to pair with my Note 2 and UM Miracles.

One question I have left is should I go with the Red (MUSES 8920) or the Black (Burr-Brown OPA2134)?

Nov 20, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #154 of 507
I think I may have decided on the GO-DAP X to pair with my Note 2 and UM Miracles.

One question I have left is should I go with the Red (MUSES 8920) or the Black (Burr-Brown OPA2134)?
Hmm...ok, this is primarily -my- auditory ability & preferences but I sorta find the Muses to sound somewhat mild & opted the TI/Burr Brown for myself.

Having said the I'm still inkling to ask VentureCraft if they're able o upgrade to AD8387 or OPA1612.

Nov 20, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #155 of 507
Quote:
Hmm...ok, this is primarily -my- auditory ability & preferences but I sorta find the Muses to sound somewhat mild & opted the TI/Burr Brown for myself.
Having said the I'm still inkling to ask VentureCraft if they're able o upgrade to AD8387 or OPA1612.

or LME49990 or THS4032.... nom nom nom.

Nov 20, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #156 of 507
Here is what VentureCraft staff has to say about the difference between:
"

Code:
 The only difference other than the color between Go-Dap X(Red) and Go-Dap X(Black) is the mounted operational amplifier. Go-Dap X(RED) has MUSES8920[NJR] whereas Go-Dap X(Black) has Burr-Brown OPA2134[TI]. An opinion of each individual differs; therefore, it is very difficult to say how they sound differently between MUSES8920 and OPA2134. However, if my personal explanation is somewhat wanted harder, I might say: OPA2134(TI's BurrBrown) focuses on and enriches mid- and high-pitch really well while making low-pitch mildly emphasized and sharp-edged. MUSES8920(NJR) rounds up and shifts up the overall sound softly in all pitches while making the sound details more clear. 
"
I just bought the red unit this morning.

Nov 20, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #157 of 507
Quote:
or LME49990 or THS4032.... nom nom nom.

Sadly the LME49990 has a different pinout but good find on the THS4032 as it has a matching pinout. I wonder if it's an expensive OpAmp or not.

Nov 20, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #158 of 507
Quote:

Sadly the LME49990 has a different pinout but good find on the THS4032 as it has a matching pinout. I wonder if it's an expensive OpAmp or not.

Not really, cheaper them AD797 and LME49990 mounted. 

More expensive then LME49860 (which I don't like) 

from my experience the THS4032 is in the same league as the AD797, but much smoother, and slightly better imaging, but slightly smaller soundstage (but still big)

Nov 20, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #159 of 507
I've got a question for you guys, what are your thoughts of this cable??

It's supposedly a 7N Class OFC 0.12x7 (does this mean 7 strands?), with gold plated plugs. They're sold for Y14,800 (USD$181!!) but believe it or not, sold out in Japan. It's a nice looking cable, but wondering if it's considered as steep especially in comparison to what Toxic Cables, Double Helix Cables or even Qusp have to offer?

Nov 21, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #161 of 507
I am now being told the GO-DAP X is offered with a custom opamp as well. From the reviews I have read, the LME49860 is a very high quality opamp.

Thank you very much again for your reply

Yes, there is only one, but we offer LME49860 custom operational amp
which is also used in Sony PHA-1.
The current price is $122.00(9800yen) addition.
(Price Refererence in Japanese: http://item.rakuten.co.jp/japanshop/c/0000000112/)

Nov 21, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #162 of 507
Quote:
I am now being told the GO-DAP X is offered with a custom opamp as well. From the reviews I have read, the LME49860 is a very high quality opamp.

LME49860 is cherry pick of LME49720, with better voltage range.

The problem is even TI admitted it has issues in the lower frequencies, anybody who has opamp rolled it can tell you the same. Its just cheap.

There are many good ones, but definitely not LME49860 unless you just want soundstage, and don't care about bass

Nov 21, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #163 of 507
Quote:
LME49860 is cherry pick of LME49720, with better voltage range.

The problem is even TI admitted it has issues in the lower frequencies, anybody who has opamp rolled it can tell you the same. Its just cheap.

There are many good ones, but definitely not LME49860 unless you just want soundstage, and don't care about bass

Thank you very much for your response. Definitely not worth $122 extra.

Nov 23, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #164 of 507
Venturecraft Go-Dap X impressions:

The X is very nice size that matches up with the iPhone 5 just about perfectly.  Controls are somewhat counter intuitive, especially activating the bass boost.  It requires holding the battery button down until the switch on the front blinks, then flipping said switch down and back up - to deactivate bass boost, follow the same process.  The best feature is the auto charging of the iDevice.  The convenience and importance of this should not be overlooked when considering an all-in-one amp/DAC device for traveling, especially for an iPhone.  It’s so convenient to listen with the X for several hours and have your phone still fully charged when you’re finished!

The X I used is the black version with the Burr Brown OPA2134.  I find the description from VentureCraft, to another head-fier (earlier in this thread), of the black X to be pretty accurate: “focuses on and enriches mid and high pitch really well…”.  Basically I find the black X to have a midrange focus with a bit of an upper mid/lower treble edge; bass is slightly less impactful.  This makes for an engaging or musical presentation. Those observations were made versus the stock iPhone 5 with the GR07 mk2 and TG334.  With the GR07, these changes are less apparent than with the TG334.

I also compared the X to my Leckerton UHA-6s (OPA209) both via computer and with iPod/iPhone.  The computer connection was using both their DACs and amps, whereas with the iPod/iPhone, I was using the Leckerton as an amp only (so not exactly an apples to apples comparison but worth noting none-the-less).

From the computer, with the TG334, the differences were quite obvious.  The X is much more upfront and upper mid/lower treble focused.  The overall presentation is brighter, closer, musical and aggressive.  The X midrange is definitely the focus.  The UHA-6s is more transparent, articulate and spacious.  The Leckerton’s bass had more slam and better definition, as well as cymbals rendered more articulate, even if not as bright as the X.  These observations still hold true with the iPod/iPhone but to a lesser extent, since the Leckerton was using the Apple DAC.

I prefer the Leckerton to the X, as I am more focussed on detail resolution and transparency and I find the UHA-6s to do this in spades.  Its amp and DAC section are simply excellent IMO but if I did not already own the UHA-6s, I would be perfectly happy with the VentureCraft.  It’s simply fun and engaging.  It definitely gets the head bobbing and the small form factor combined with the charging feature is something I definitely desire; it will be hard to give that particular feature up!

Nov 23, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #165 of 507
Nice feedback shotgunshane. I've got the OPA2134 version with me but not given it a decent listen yet. Will be giving my impressions over the next few weeks whilst on vacation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back