VE Odyssey - Discussions and Impressions Thread
Jan 16, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #211 of 244
Yes I don't have any complaints. I think he cannot do anything better. I just wanted to explain its a bit strange. Imagine microsoft asking you to smash your xbox and send them a picture for a refund. Or trashing your oled tv so lg can refund you. The solution is sensiblw, but not what you find normal.

As a person who loves good sound and sounding products, to me I find it disrespectful to destroy a device which we are passionate about. I find it hurting to do it. I don't know about others.
As I tried to explain - big difference between a $15 device and one worth $100’s.

Jan 25, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #213 of 244
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but the DAC in the odyssey appears to be a Realtek ALC298, which is a 13 year old USB2.0 16bit 48khz dac (datasheet talks about 192khz support, but I'm not smart enough to understand the datasheet 100%). Windows lists the Hardware ID as "USB\VID_0BDA&PID_4040&REV_0000&MI_00" which returns the ALC298 on google. I'm not confident in this being correct however, since it's a generic driver, and the hardware ID may not be correct.

It's probably not as good as most decent motherboard DACs, but it may be an improvement over DACs found in cheaper/older phone SOCs, which I guess was the whole purpose of this dongle. Too bad it doesn't work with my Xperia XZ which has a trash headphone jack; it's about time I threw this POS phone into the trash anyway. It's most probably a downgrade compared to phones with Sabre DACs (like the LG V10/V20/V30), but it sounds decent enough on my small but growing collection of IEMs and headphones (TRN V80, KZ ZSN, KZ ZS10, Monk Plus, RHA MA750, Koss KSC75, Sennheiser HD598, Takstar Pro82), definitely an improvement over the gutless and grimy jack on my phone, which won't work with the odyssey anyway since dumb-as-ever Sony didn't adopt USB C properly.

So my unit will probably collect dust in my drawer, unless whatever new phone I get in February has a crap DAC; currently I don't have a use for it. But damn, it's built pretty well, eh buddy?

Jan 25, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #214 of 244
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but the DAC in the odyssey appears to be a Realtek ALC298, which is a 13 year old USB2.0 16bit 48khz dac (datasheet talks about 192khz support, but I'm not smart enough to understand the datasheet 100%). Windows lists the Hardware ID as "USB\VID_0BDA&PID_4040&REV_0000&MI_00" which returns the ALC298 on google. I'm not confident in this being correct however, since it's a generic driver, and the hardware ID may not be correct.

It's probably not as good as most decent motherboard DACs, but it may be an improvement over DACs found in cheaper/older phone SOCs, which I guess was the whole purpose of this dongle. Too bad it doesn't work with my Xperia XZ which has a trash headphone jack; it's about time I threw this POS phone into the trash anyway. It's most probably a downgrade compared to phones with Sabre DACs (like the LG V10/V20/V30), but it sounds decent enough on my small but growing collection of IEMs and headphones (TRN V80, KZ ZSN, KZ ZS10, Monk Plus, RHA MA750, Koss KSC75, Sennheiser HD598, Takstar Pro82), definitely an improvement over the gutless and grimy jack on my phone, which won't work with the odyssey anyway since dumb-as-ever Sony didn't adopt USB C properly.

So my unit will probably collect dust in my drawer, unless whatever new phone I get in February has a crap DAC; currently I don't have a use for it. But damn, it's built pretty well, eh buddy?
So the realtek dac must be better than iPhone 7 galaxy s8 and many iphones out there.

Jan 26, 2019 at 5:55 AM Post #215 of 244
Not better than the SE - in my testing at least.

Jun 12, 2019 at 6:11 AM Post #216 of 244
Many people mentioned that VE Odyssey is not good with high sensitivity IEM. But I kind of have no idea how much sensitivity would considered to be "high sensitivity".

I have Westone W40, is its sensitivity is too high for VE odyssey?

• TECHNICAL SPECS: The Westone W40 features a full-range, four balanced-armature driver with 118 dB SPL @ 1mW sensitivity, 10Hz - 18kHz frequency response, and an impedance of 31 ohms @ 1kHz, 25dB

I need a USB-C dongle for my new phone, so I thought maybe I should buy USB-C dac instead. Any suggestion are welcome.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #217 of 244
Too be honest and not too bash it biut, the odyssey is nothing special at all. The hidisz sonata is far superior. I have both

Jun 12, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #218 of 244
Many people mentioned that VE Odyssey is not good with high sensitivity IEM. But I kind of have no idea how much sensitivity would considered to be "high sensitivity".

I have Westone W40, is its sensitivity is too high for VE odyssey?

• TECHNICAL SPECS: The Westone W40 features a full-range, four balanced-armature driver with 118 dB SPL @ 1mW sensitivity, 10Hz - 18kHz frequency response, and an impedance of 31 ohms @ 1kHz, 25dB

I need a USB-C dongle for my new phone, so I thought maybe I should buy USB-C dac instead. Any suggestion are welcome.

I may not be much of a resource to you but Odyssey sounds out of this world with kz zs5 connected to redmi 5. Without Odyssey it sounds life less and no power at all. I guess kz zs5 is a iem with dynamic drivers and ba drivers in it. I also heard many say its not good with sensitive iems. In my case it works super well with kz zs5, kz atr, kz zs1, monk plus, v.e bie perfectly well.

Jun 14, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #221 of 244
That is probably not a good idea for any of your audio gear though...
but sometimes, when its cheap and rugged thats an advantage which ppl like me look for . I can baby sit a 200 bucks headphone, but i always tuck my earphones into my pocket when not in use, or my back pack's pocket. Thats one of my reasons not to buy hidiz sonata. To be honest, now I think VE odessey is worth it only if , ONLY IF your phone is a midranger with an average DAC. I use it with my s8 for some midboost and little bit of extra power for my Beoplay h6. but I must say, it doesnt have the tightness in bass of s8s headphone out, also dynamically s8 is better. The only advantage is is slight boost os midrange. If anything is good of odessey is, it is its built quality. its superb that way. Sound isnt its best strength.

Aug 20, 2019 at 6:04 AM Post #222 of 244
What I really like is the midrange, low is there, but not tight, but its ignorable for the price. Build is also amazing. The guy at Veclan has a nice warranty policy. I said, mine has static, what should i do, he asked me destroy the dac and send him a pic and he would refund. While I liked the idea of what he said, so that I wont cheat him , get the money and continue using, I didnt feel like destroying this beautiful thing. Mine still has static but I learned to ignore it. Its
that is actually very common, even paypal does that for refunds. Don't give him crap just because you had to destroy the product to get a refund, that is just how the world works. The other way would be to send him back the DAC with your own funds(the dac is sold at a very low price), which costs both time and money.

Aug 20, 2019 at 6:05 AM Post #223 of 244
but sometimes, when its cheap and rugged thats an advantage which ppl like me look for . I can baby sit a 200 bucks headphone, but i always tuck my earphones into my pocket when not in use, or my back pack's pocket. Thats one of my reasons not to buy hidiz sonata. To be honest, now I think VE odessey is worth it only if , ONLY IF your phone is a midranger with an average DAC. I use it with my s8 for some midboost and little bit of extra power for my Beoplay h6. but I must say, it doesnt have the tightness in bass of s8s headphone out, also dynamically s8 is better. The only advantage is is slight boost os midrange. If anything is good of odessey is, it is its built quality. its superb that way. Sound isnt its best strength.
the ve odyssey is also worth it when your phone has no headphone jack.

Aug 20, 2019 at 6:19 AM Post #224 of 244
the ve odyssey is also worth it when your phone has no headphone jack.
and if your phones bundled adapter is meh which is mostly meh :wink: I am eager to listen to the samsungs new adapter which they lauched along with the Note 10. Hope it does Hi Res. The apples dongle destroys VE odessey (AT THE SAME PRICE )already easily but it works well only with Apple which is a shame. Morover I never was able to use a earphones mic with Odessey. It never worked in my case.

Sep 7, 2019 at 3:21 AM Post #225 of 244
Just received these :) sound promising right outta the box!
EB1A8B99-6C85-4FFA-A159-191DD1806C2E.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back