VE - A New and Impressive Earbuds Brand
Nov 30, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #2,521 of 3,324
+100 (maybe more) for what Tamal just said!

Rubber rims or covers make the sound just explode right out of Zen 2.0. Simply and amazing listen!!!
:L3000:

Will earhoox with hoox cut off do the trick?

Nov 30, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #2,526 of 3,324
Yup, that's what Tamal pioneered. I just tried it with the Yuin accessories. I'm not surgically altering the Earhoox, though, so I can't comment on whether that's better what I tried.

Is that correct @RedJohn456? Don't be shy!

Nov 30, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #2,528 of 3,324
Haha yeah I cut off the fins and am using the rubber ring as the rim.

When cutting off the fins be careful to not cut a hole in the ring. Leave a tiny bit of the stump of the fin to avoid this.

Thanks! And great tip. The earhoox didn't work 100% well for me because they held the buds in well enough, but I didn't get the best seal/fit while using them, so they have been sitting idle. But no longer! p.s. I'll be picking up my 2.0's tomorrow - something tells me they ain't gonna suck! :) 

Nov 30, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #2,529 of 3,324
Alright.. well... this is officially my favourite Zen 2.0 setup. I tried both the commando and just ear hooks and I don't like the way the bass is portrayed. With the foams you get a much smoother bass response that sounds more natural to me. Stay tuned; my review is coming this week.

Nov 30, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #2,530 of 3,324
Alright.. well... this is officially my favourite Zen 2.0 setup. I tried both the commando and just ear hooks and I don't like the way the bass is portrayed. With the foams you get a much smoother bass response that sounds more natural to me. Stay tuned; my review is coming this week.

You gotta patent those foamie + fin hybrids!!!

Dec 1, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #2,532 of 3,324
Got my Zen 2.0 a few days ago, so here's a quick comparison with the Zen 1.

Other
- The shell is different indeed. It's still some MX500 lookalike, but I think it's a tiny bit slimmer. I like it.
- Better build quality but cable is still pretty microphonic.
- Shorter cable and the chin slider is gone
- Easier to drive but not by much. I only had to turn the volume down slightly and it still nearly maxes out my S5.
- Harder to tell apart L/R on these new shells
- Much better foams than before. These new foams feel high quality and are cut consistently now. The doughnuts are nearly identical to the Heigi foams. 

Sound
My impressions will probably be a bit different from most, since I find earbuds unlistenable without foams and the Zen 2 is no exception. Bass is too important for me. I think the graphs (http://www.head-fi.org/t/759219/ve-a-new-and-impressive-earbuds-brand/2115#post_12073858) from Brooko tell most of the story. It's a pretty significant change in sound signature for a version 2.0. Upper mids toned down a bit and the mid bass is now really prominent. Maybe some will like this, but I do prefer the more linear (yet still warm) bass of the Zen 1. Looks like most people feel the same as everyone seems to be going foamless or trying thin rubber Senn covers/franken-earhoox. I usually use full foams for overly bassy earbuds, and that's what I found to work best here too. The doughnuts suppress the mid bass, but at the cost of too much sub bass extension. 

- Zen 1 seems to have better bass extension, but that's probably only because of the emphasized mid bass on the Zen 2
- But ignoring frequency response differences, Zen 2 has tighter, more accurate bass, and makes Zen 1's bass sound muddier/mushier
- Zen 2 is more resolving and has much better separation, better soundstage, and clearer mids
- Zen 2 has more detailed highs and even less sibilance

Okay so this might seem kinda negative overall with the mid bass, but don't get me wrong - the Zen 2.0 sounds technically better in every way and I'm seriously impressed
redface.gif
. I didn't expect that it'd get this much better. And I've been playing around with EQ to flatten the bass a bit, with decent results. I still can't get ultimate head shaking sub bass like on the Zen 1, but there's more than enough that makes up for it. I'll be primarily using the Zen 2.0 from now on, but I am glad I kept the OG Zen. Both of these earbuds represent some of the highest value you'll find in audio imo.

Dec 1, 2015 at 4:46 AM Post #2,533 of 3,324

Other
- The shell is different indeed. It's still some MX500 lookalike, but I think it's a tiny bit slimmer. I like it.
- Easier to drive but not by much. I only had to turn the volume down slightly and it still nearly maxes out my S5.
- Much better foams than before. These new foams feel high quality and are cut consistently now. The doughnuts are nearly identical to the Heigi foams. 

Sound
My impressions will probably be a bit different from most, since I find earbuds unlistenable without foams and the Zen 2 is no exception. Bass is too important for me. I think the graphs (http://www.head-fi.org/t/759219/ve-a-new-and-impressive-earbuds-brand/2115#post_12073858) from Brooko tell most of the story. It's a pretty significant change in sound signature for a version 2.0. Upper mids toned down a bit and the mid bass is now really prominent. Maybe some will like this, but I do prefer the more linear (yet still warm) bass of the Zen 1. Looks like most people feel the same as everyone seems to be going foamless or trying thin rubber Senn covers/franken-earhoox. I usually use full foams for overly bassy earbuds, and that's what I found to work best here too. The doughnuts suppress the mid bass, but at the cost of too much sub bass extension. 

- Zen 1 seems to have better bass extension, but that's probably only because of the emphasized mid bass on the Zen 2
- But ignoring frequency response differences, Zen 2 has tighter, more accurate bass, and makes Zen 1's bass sound muddier/mushier
- Zen 2 is more resolving and has much better separation, better soundstage, and clearer mids

Okay so this might seem kinda negative overall with the mid bass, but don't get me wrong - the Zen 2.0 sounds technically better in every way and I'm seriously impressed
redface.gif
. I didn't expect that it'd get this much better. And I've been playing around with EQ to flatten the bass a bit, with decent results. I still can't get ultimate head shaking sub bass like on the Zen 1, but there's more than enough that makes up for it. I'll be primarily using the Zen 2.0 from now on, but I am glad I kept the OG Zen. Both of these earbuds represent some of the highest value you'll find in audio imo.

Agree with you on all fronts except for the treble. I felt that the treble on the Zen 1 is a little more details and more refined, but everything else is much better on the Zen 2. It sounds like a much better package and a much more rewarding listen.

Dec 1, 2015 at 7:11 AM Post #2,534 of 3,324
Too bad for me if I won't like the Zen 2.0 better than the v1 as I already exchanged mine c/o Lee.
confused_face.gif
 crossing my fingers.... 

Dec 1, 2015 at 7:46 AM Post #2,535 of 3,324

Other

Sound

redface.gif

The extra bass is due to the foam. If you dont use the ear hooks that came with it, I suggest you cut off the fins carefully and use the ring has a rubber rim for the earbuds. This improved the sound  significantly. In fact I would say the ring is probably the easiest way to get the best sound out of it. For me, ANY sort of foam made it way too bassy.

Again only try this if you don't mind sacrificing the ear hooks. I never used them so it wasnt a big deal to potentially lose them. But it worked out so well I sacrificed a pair of my more expensive Earhoox  earhoox to have another set of rings.

I am gonna be ordering some proper rings from AE and see if they sound better. But yeah foams are a no go for zen 2. They were tuned to be listened to commando/foamless imo 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back