VE - A New and Impressive Earbuds Brand
May 11, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #438 of 3,324
  The real question should be "how the hell can the Mrice E100 be as cheap as $12?"
The E100 is simply at the very top of sheer performance / price. Also, diminishing returns. A headphone that sounds "10 times better" than the E100 probably does not exist.

Haha I read this and, yeah, I don't know which way this goes. Is the E100 extremely cheap for what you're getting or is the Zen extremely expensive for what you're getting? I honestly couldn't say. Considering the E100 is one of the best things I've ever heard I don't see where the costs come from with $1,200 CIEM's, let alone the Zen.

@Expansion did bring up a good point. Perhaps a bit off topic but I'd really be interested in knowing where the costs come from with stuff like this. When you consider that the Asura no doubt has a more expensive cable and the same housing the difference is in the speaker. So where does VE get their speakers that would make the Zen cost anywhere near ~$100 when the Baldoor/Mrice get's something that (depending on who you ask) sounds on the same level, if not slightly below or above that level, for a ~$10 price.

Just an interesting question in general I suppose. 

But I have to say that I stopped going TOTL cost a while ago. Price most certainly does not = performance. Like, for the real. 

Originally Posted by RedJohn456 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Speaking of sheer technical prowess, Zen is objectively better and superior to e100 in every way except one. E100 doesn't need amp, thats about it :p  

Considering I would highly disagree with this let's call it subjective and leave it at that, eh?

May 11, 2015 at 3:59 AM Post #439 of 3,324

Haha I read this and, yeah, I don't know which way this goes. Is the E100 extremely cheap for what you're getting or is the Zen extremely expensive for what you're getting? I honestly couldn't say. Considering the E100 is one of the best things I've ever heard I don't see where the costs come from with $1,200 CIEM's, let alone the Zen.

@Expansion did bring up a good point. Perhaps a bit off topic but I'd really be interested in knowing where the costs come from with stuff like this. When you consider that the Asura no doubt has a more expensive cable and the same housing the difference is in the speaker. So where does VE get their speakers that would make the Zen cost anywhere near ~$100 when the Baldoor/Mrice get's something that (depending on who you ask) sounds on the same level, if not slightly below or above that level, for a ~$10 price.

Just an interesting question in general I suppose. 

But I have to say that I stopped going TOTL cost a while ago. Price most certainly does not = performance. Like, for the real. 

Considering I would highly disagree with this let's call it subjective and leave it at that, eh?

Well its alright if you disagree, but I feel its pretty clear which one has  greater technical ability. Its fine to prefer one signature over the other, but I am speaking on a pure technical level being able to portray all the details in songs that I know very well. So it seems objective to me :) ymmv

May 11, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #440 of 3,324
While the Zen may be technically superior, the fact remains that it is both a lot more expensive than the E100 and also requires an additional amp.  

For truly plug'n'play portable use, where environmental noise will mitigate against a lot of that technical superiority, I'd therefore suggest that the E100 is much, much more in the sweet spot.  It performs beautifully at a price that is wallet friendly. 

Which is presumably why the Monk is being launched at such a low price and with such an easy to drive impedence. 

For me, this is where the the real heart and soul of portable music listening is, rather than at a more cumbersome, expensive level. 

So I am really looking forward to more impressions of the Monk.  Bring it on!

May 11, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #441 of 3,324
I don't think anyone is denying how good E100 is for its price, but this isn't exactly an E100 appreciation thread, which is what this thread has somewhat turned into lately.

May 11, 2015 at 6:18 AM Post #442 of 3,324
  I don't think anyone is denying how good E100 is for its price, but this isn't exactly an E100 appreciation thread, which is what this thread has somewhat turned into lately.

Nothing exists in isolation - this whole website is predicated on comparisons between products. In lieu of the Monk, I was just setting out my own stall, so to speak.  It has to compete favourablly with the E100 for me to consider a purchase.

May 11, 2015 at 7:41 AM Post #443 of 3,324
I had the chance to briefly ear the VE Zen at a recent meet and I really like what I heard. I have been gradually moving away from IEMs because of the lack of soundstage and difficulties in getting a consistent seal. The VE are right up there with Blox in terms of sound quality. On the cheap and cheerful side, the Baldoor E100 is nice but its shape makes fit difficult which is why I tend to prefer the Edifier H180 in that price bracket.

May 11, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #444 of 3,324
I had the chance to briefly ear the VE Zen at a recent meet and I really like what I heard. I have been gradually moving away from IEMs because of the lack of soundstage and difficulties in getting a consistent seal. The VE are right up there with Blox in terms of sound quality. On the cheap and cheerful side, the Baldoor E100 is nice but its shape makes fit difficult which is why I tend to prefer the Edifier H180 in that price bracket.
Do you think the price is adequate Zen sound or overpriced?

May 11, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #445 of 3,324
Everyone will have a different idea about what the right price should be and if the value of the VE Zen is justified.

My opinion is that the VE Zen are among the best sounding earbuds out there and that they are priced similarly to other high-end earbuds (Blox TM7, Sennheiser MX985).

That being said, I would not buy them because they absolutely need an amp to work properly (this is incompatible with my mobile setup: I don't want to carry an extra device) and that for similar spending, I can get a Sennheiser HD558 ($90 at BestBuy recently) which sounds better to me (granted it's a full size headphone).

May 11, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #446 of 3,324

Nothing exists in isolation - this whole website is predicated on comparisons between products. In lieu of the Monk, I was just setting out my own stall, so to speak.  It has to compete favourablly with the E100 for me to consider a purchase.

I am not saying you or anyone can't or shouldn't make comparison. I am just pointing out that the repetition of the whole  'E100 > Zen' argument by a few that seems to have became the dominant discussion of this thread which is not about the E100 - and it is, at least in my eyes, getting pretty close to trolling. I know some of you really love your E100 (and I personally quite like it too), but there is a fine point when a person needs to express his/her love on a dedicated thread instead of having to repeat it on another thread that dedicated to another brand / headphone. Will you think you will be happy seeing a person going to E100 thread and keep repeating that how Zen, or any headphone for that matter, is 1000 times better than E100 and therefore it is worth its price? I mean, I am not against anyone expressing his/her opinion, but do it on a reasonable way - say it loud and say it clearly, but hopefully not keep repeating of the same thing over and over again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back