VDA2 Owns!
Feb 28, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #61 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice work! Dusty is sending me the VDA2/psu and other treats to burn in prior to our int'l meet in April. It is going to be tough to resist buying it if the improvement over the VDA1 is so clear.
evil_smiley.gif

Could you compare the VDA2 with PS with the XdAC3 PLUS ps.. I want to see if its worth it to upgrade to the VDA2.

Feb 28, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #62 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could you compare the VDA2 with PS with the XdAC3 PLUS ps.. I want to see if its worth it to upgrade to the VDA2.

I don't have the X-Dac3 but maybe when you are at the int'l meet you can arrange this comparison yourself.

Feb 28, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #63 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by pedalhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent. We should definitely post our findings on VDA1 v VDA2 when we've had enough time with them. I know that I searched for a while for such a comparison & came up short.

I can answer that one - VDA-1: refined, resolved and tonally sweet. VDA-2: natural, organic, Highly resolved, clean, and accurate. comparitively speaking it's like moving up to a Lexus from a Toyota.

Feb 28, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #64 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by omendelovitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can answer that one - VDA-1: refined, resolved and tonally sweet. VDA-2: natural, organic, Highly resolved, clean, and accurate. comparitively speaking it's like moving up to a Lexus from a Toyota.

Coming from someone who just today laid down $1k for a new VDA2 & VAC1, that's a very reassuring comment. Cheers! I certainly agree with your adjectives describing the VDA1. It was the one component that really started to bring my system into the "special" category for me. I'm expecting great things of the VDA2. Coincidentally, I drive a Toyota Spyder...nah, I think the analogy stops there
icon10.gif

Feb 28, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #65 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by pedalhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Coming from someone who just today laid down $1k for a new VDA2 & VAC1, that's a very reassuring comment. Cheers! I certainly agree with your adjectives describing the VDA1. It was the one component that really started to bring my system into the "special" category for me. I'm expecting great things of the VDA2. Coincidentally, I drive a Toyota Spyder...nah, I think the analogy stops there
icon10.gif

the combo cost me almost the same amount from my supplier here in Toronto. Well worth the money.

Feb 28, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #66 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have had both of those pieces. I didn't have them at the same time so I couldn't directly compare them to each other. Neverthless I did compare each of them to my other sources. Personally, I feel the move from the MF DAC to the CI DAC would be a lateral move, but that's just my ears. Nothing really stood out to me with either DAC on the sonic front. The CI DAC probably has a more robust design.

Feb 28, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #67 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have had both of those pieces. I didn't have them at the same time so I couldn't directly compare them to each other. Neverthless I did compare each of them to my other sources. Personally, I feel the move from the MF DAC to the CI DAC would be a lateral move, but that's just my ears. Nothing really stood out to me with either DAC o the sonic front. The CI DAC probably has a more robust design.

TY.. Probally get the DAC1 for the balanced inputs..

Mar 1, 2007 at 2:59 AM Post #68 of 108
a

Mar 1, 2007 at 3:47 AM Post #69 of 108
Quote:

That's saying quite alot considering that the VDA-1 is modded. I'll have to take a listen to the VDA-2 soon.
wink.gif

~Renato

Edit: Did you try it with the LM4562?

Mar 1, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #70 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by looser101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's saying quite alot considering that the VDA-1 is modded. I'll have to take a listen to the VDA-2 soon.
wink.gif

~Renato

Edit: Did you try it with the LM4562?

That was the first thing I changed in the VDA, Renato. Definitely changed the sound a lot, but truth be told, I'm not a huge fan of the 4562; I like the 8066 and/or the 8620 better as they have better soundstaging/imaging than the 4562 (which has the nicest tonality overall so far, IMO. I've never heard the 627's, btw). Renato also brings up a good point, which is that his vda mods went beyond the standard VDA abilities, and we're not talking about mere cap swapping either. I'll just say that the VDA-2 is the VDA-1, but with added refinement, neutrality and analogality (yes, I'm making my own lexicon here) over the VDA-1.

Mar 1, 2007 at 4:07 AM Post #71 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow.... i'm just hearing this thing. i can't believe i let you forum people talk me into giving up my lavry for this... it's got 20 days... if it doesn't change by then it's gone!

What amp are you using with it? Are you trying an 'apples to apples' comparison? I imagine the Lavry's Headphone amp to be of good quality, better than most IIRC...

Mar 1, 2007 at 4:10 AM Post #72 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow.... i'm just hearing this thing. i can't believe i let you forum people talk me into giving up my lavry for this... it's got 20 days... if it doesn't change by then it's gone!

So its not as good as the Lavry?

More impressions please!

Mar 1, 2007 at 4:10 AM Post #73 of 108
Quote:

What amp are you using with it? Are you trying an 'apples to apples' comparison? I imagine the Lavry's Headphone amp to be of good quality, better than most IIRC...

granodemostasa most likely is using his Zana Deux in both cases. I don't think he would prefer the Lavry amp over that one.
icon10.gif

In any event, granodemostasa, I would not make comparisons or jump to conclusions before running the VDA2 for a good while. Burn in/break in could easily change your attitude significantly. Dusty suggested that I should burn in the gear loaned for the meet because it will be NIB.

Mar 1, 2007 at 4:11 AM Post #74 of 108
Quote:

I can answer for him, since I've heard his system so many times. He's using a Zana Deux for the amp, not the internal headamp on the Lavry.

Mar 1, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #75 of 108
In that case, all I can say is give it some burn in (~100 hours). At that point make your decision, G (no pun intended). You can't please all of the people all of the time...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back