VDA2 Owns!
Feb 23, 2007 at 6:48 AM Post #31 of 108
a

Feb 23, 2007 at 2:47 PM Post #32 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt_Carter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FYI VDA-2 owns the transporter.... sigh.

Wow... Very interesting. Anyone see any reviews of the CI in the press? Especially comparative? Dusty's been pretty good in the past about getting good coverage. If the VDA is this good, he better have some demo units out in the field!!!

J

Feb 23, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #33 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by dusty_v /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't listen technically, just try to enjoy the music...the best one will be better at sucking you into the music and allow you to forget about the gear.

Spot on! Quicker comparisons can be good for ferreting out differences in FR or soundstaging, but for overall satisfaction nothing beats the long-term test.

Feb 23, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #34 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by john_ops /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow... Very interesting. Anyone see any reviews of the CI in the press? Especially comparative? Dusty's been pretty good in the past about getting good coverage. If the VDA is this good, he better have some demo units out in the field!!!

J

I have actually had the CI gear in my home and own 2 Transporters, a Northstar Transport and the Esoteric D-03/P-03 combo. The CI gear did not stand out to me, however I did not go through proper level matching. I'm sure many people will love it, but I just didn't hear anything that would have me recommend the VDA over a more versatile solution like the Transporter. That being said, I have only really listened to the analog outs on my modded Transporter so I can't really comment on the stock analog out.

Feb 23, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #36 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt_Carter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You've auditioned which CI DAC at your home?

The VDA-2. I purchased one for a friend who didn't really have the available funds. I had it for 2 weeks before shipping it off to him. He loves it.

Feb 23, 2007 at 6:39 PM Post #37 of 108
a

Feb 23, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #38 of 108
Quote:

The VDA-2. I purchased one for a friend who didn't really have the available funds. I had it for 2 weeks before shipping it off to him. He loves it.

How long ago? There were significant updates to VDA-2 near the end of November. These updates are free to existing owners who purchased before then.

Feb 23, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #39 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by dusty_v /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How long ago? There were significant updates to VDA-2 near the end of November. These updates are free to existing owners who purchased before then.

It was in the beginning of this year. Don't get me wrong. I think it is a great piece at a fantastic price and was the one who originally told my friend to get it. He absoultely loves it. I just happen to use the Esoteric D-03/P-03 combo and haven't found anything else that has really caught my attention in comparison. I also wanted to offer my opinion on the Transporter/VDA-2 comparision b/c my impressions were different than Matt's. As noted, however, my impressions are primarily based on my modded Transporter and I did not take the time to do extensive comparisons with proper level matching.

All that being said, if I were to recommend a DAC only, I would recommend the VDA-2 over the Transporter, simply because the VDA-2 is a dedicated DAC with a more robust design and b/c, IMO, the Transporter's primary functionality is as a transport.

Feb 23, 2007 at 9:41 PM Post #40 of 108
Quote:

It was in the beginning of this year. Don't get me wrong. I think it is a great piece at a fantastic price and was the one who originally told my friend to get it. He absoultely loves it. I just happen to use the Esoteric D-03/P-03 combo and haven't found anything else that has really caught my attention in comparison. I also wanted to offer my opinion on the Transporter/VDA-2 comparision b/c my impressions were different than Matt's. As noted, however, my impressions are primarily based on my modded Transporter and I did not take the time to do extensive comparisons with proper level matching.

All that being said, if I were to recommend a DAC only, I would recommend the VDA-2 over the Transporter, simply because the VDA-2 is a dedicated DAC with a more robust design and b/c, IMO, the Transporter's primary functionality is as a transport.

Thanks for recommending the VDA-2 to your friend (and glad he loves it!)
At over $13,000, the Esoteric should sound better (I've never heard it).
A reviewer in Greece compared the early VDA-2 with the Esoteric D-70 and felt it was a toss up.

Feb 24, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #41 of 108
a

Feb 24, 2007 at 11:40 PM Post #42 of 108
Quote:

Hey
I'm trying to figure out how the output on the vda-2 is... the website says it lacks opamps, but i don't see enough room for an independent output stage (at least i think)... what does this thing do?

VDA-2 uses a zero feedback/class A discrete output stage, consisting of only a single transistor per output.

Feb 26, 2007 at 5:41 AM Post #43 of 108
Yep, my initial impressions were correct.
The VDA-2 bends over and poops on the slims "analog” efforts.

Cassette motor noise from cameras, room reverb, background conversations, cell phones, production noise floors, startling ambient resolution..... AllGone!... Just like that, without a trace…. I mean, how dare they..!, who the fudge they think they are.....
...Opamps give me diarrhea…
mad.gif

Nonetheless the transporter stays due to its spectacular digital efforts. Easily holding its value; in its self.

Everything good from the transporters cheap, fascist, boring, toy analog outs are merely a product of its digital topology.
Feeding all that's good to the VDA-2 now proves to me its potential truely is eternal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back