VDA2 Owns!
Feb 26, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #46 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i switch components often.... in the last few months i've gone through or have gotten the following dacs into my system:
Ori modded Zhaolu
Wavelength Brick
Sonicraft Modded Dac 60
Lavry DA-10
Benchmark Dac-1
Apogee mini dac/usb (hopefully)

How does the VDA2 compare to the ORI modded Zhaolu?

Feb 27, 2007 at 4:44 AM Post #47 of 108
a

Feb 27, 2007 at 6:45 AM Post #48 of 108
Love to know how a VDA.2 compares to the something like a Rega Saturn. Can anyone comment?
Or are these really in different performance brackets?

Feb 27, 2007 at 7:39 AM Post #49 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by HumanMedia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Love to know how a VDA.2 compares to the something like a Rega Saturn. Can anyone comment?

we dont' know... yet

Feb 27, 2007 at 11:43 PM Post #50 of 108
I'm a VDA1/VAC1 owner, and this thread is making me seriously consider an upgrade to the VDA2. Go on guys, persuade me...
icon10.gif

Feb 27, 2007 at 11:46 PM Post #51 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by fierce_freak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd love to see a comparison of this with the Lavry DA10.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does the VDA2 compare to the ORI modded Zhaolu?

Quote:

I don't know, i never had them side by side and i don't have the VDA-2 yet. my Lavry is gone (i have no clue what convinced me to send it off now), so the comparison will probably be against a stello. what i can tell you is that the lavry and the wavelength brick ran over the ori-zhaolu, although i thought the zhaolu better than the becnmark.

Quote:

Quote:

we dont' know... yet

You'all should come to the second annual int'l meet in April and you would know the answers to these questions for yourself. Dusty is planning to send a VDA-2 setup, plus granodemostasa is going to be there, plus others may have them. Lavry and Benchmark will be there, along with many owners of those fine dacs. Ori himself will most certainly be there along with many others having modded and unmodded Zhaolus. I cannot imagine that a Rega Saturn will be absent, and maybe granodemostasa has something in the works. Oh, did I mention that Slim Devices will be there too?

In other words, this is going to be an amazing opportunity to compare gear in real-time with your own cans, and in many cases in your own systems. Act accordingly.

Feb 28, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #52 of 108
Wish I could make it there, but it's in CA this year...so definitely a no-go. I could have driven to the last one, but I couldn't get off from work ;(

-edit- i'd actually like to hear the lavry, the vda2, and a fully modded dac-ah...one of these days...

Feb 28, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #53 of 108
a

Feb 28, 2007 at 5:14 AM Post #54 of 108
Anyone tried any mods on this unit?

I know the scope for improvement isnt great but the following have crossed my mind:
*Replacing RCA digital input with a 75ohm BNC connector (reduce jitter)
*Better than stock connector between power supply and DAC
*RCA Analog out connectors

Any other suggestions?

Feb 28, 2007 at 6:53 AM Post #55 of 108
Quote:

Replacing the connector doesn't mean you'll lower jitter. You have to take the source and cable, connect them all together and look at the signal on a scope...changing cables will have much more effect than the connector.

Quote:

The power supply is providing 14V AC (at about 500mA max). The jacks and 18g cord supplied are more than overkill for this application. The vital AC/DC conversion, filtering, and regulation are all done internal of VDA-2.

Quote:

Changing the output connectors to chassis mount types requires wires and two extra connections per output...I don't see how this could be a benefit. The circuit board is setup for the pcb mount types used, and they work very well.

Last of all, doing this kinda stuff voids the warranty.

Feb 28, 2007 at 3:06 PM Post #56 of 108
Quote:

Anyone tried any mods on this unit?

I know the scope for improvement isnt great but the following have crossed my mind:

Any other suggestions?

I also thought upgraded parts such as capacitors, etc. would be a nice upgrade before Dusty made me realize that the included caps are high grade and optimized for the output.

In all truth, I've listened to this DAC through a decent quality source and the truth is, that with the exception of which amp you pair with it (depending on your preferences/headphone gear, etc.) you really can't improve on it very much as it is unbelievably resolved and accurate. I really have to commend dusty on this DAC. My friend even commented that this DAC sounds better than his modded Shanling CDP, which sounds "digital" in comparison to this DAC.

I say, stop trying to fill time with modding this unit. Buy it, enjoy it, DIY yourself a nice hybrid tube/class A amp and attach a good source! I'll bet good money you won't find a better sounding system for under $10000 this way.

Feb 28, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #58 of 108
Nice work! Dusty is sending me the VDA2/psu and other treats to burn in prior to our int'l meet in April. It is going to be tough to resist buying it if the improvement over the VDA1 is so clear.
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 28, 2007 at 7:49 PM Post #60 of 108
Quote:

hella yea! i want my table to be the dac shootout table... the zd is transparent and has 3 inputs
biggrin.gif

Check out the member table sign-up and arrange with Matt to add to your dac shoot-out:

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt8268 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going to bring my ack dAck 2.0 DAC. I don't want a table setup of my own, I am hoping to put it on someone else's table...hopefully one with a few other DACs so we can do some side-by-side comparing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedalhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent. We should definitely post our findings on VDA1 v VDA2 when we've had enough time with them. I know that I searched for a while for such a comparison & came up short.

Agreed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back