Variable Openmod, Fully Open Source Headphones, Designed for comfort and modularity.
Mar 24, 2024 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Armored Soul

Head-Fier

PXL_20240324_135252700.jpg

Variable Openmod​

This is a fully open source headphones designed to be easy to assemble and easy to print out.
It is also made to be highly modular, capable of using most 40-52mm drivers. The overall design itself is also made to be easy to modify for different earcups and whatnot. The headband is also compatible with most of my Static Series headphones. Along with the earcups, so if you want an upgrade, you can swap out the headband with one on my Static Series headphones.
I specifically designed these headphones also for comfort. They are based off my Static Ovals so they are guaranteed to be more comfortable than the majority of headphones.
Only two filament types are used: PETG and TPU.
For more information, instructions and download links for the file, visit my website: https://www.variablestaticaudio.com/

How?​

The process of designing this took a few months. It was actually very loosely based on how the Hifiman Arya is constructed. Basically a few screws holding everything together for each earcups. I basically simplified it and used a similar method of securing the entire earcup using a few screws. The headband is a heavily modified version of what is found on my Static Ovals. I designed it to be easier to work with along with it not requiring different screw types. I had to design it in a way where it used as few screws as possible while still having a suspension pad.

20240319_220730.JPG

Why?​

I wanted to design the BEST open source headphone there is. While making it easily accessible as long as you had a 3D printer and some idea on how to solder. I also wanted the headphones to be highly modular, capable of using any driver. Well at least the most common types of drivers, which were 40-52mm. I didn't want the person to be stuck with a single kind of driver as well, you're just very limited in what you can do. So I designed a method that made it rather simple to swap out different drivers no matter the height or size. Though some parts may need swapping with say a 45mm and a 52mm driver, but of course the parts are available to do so.

PXL_20240324_135309627.jpg

Open Source?​

All files are available for free! That includes F3D, STEP and 3MF files. So if you want to modify the headphones to use different drivers, or earcups you can! The headband is specifically designed to be modular. You can easily swap out the yoke for your own if you want a capable but inexpensive headband that you can modify to fit your design without buying some a prebuilt one. I've also made the general design to not be too complex so that you are able to modify the files to use different kind of parts, such as different sockets.

Headphone Parts Branded.jpg

What's that small thing next to it?​

Not everyone has a soldering iron or wants to buy a bunch of parts not knowing whether or not they will work. So, I've designed a box that stores all the non-3D printed parts, excluding the cable and earpads. It's designed to work as a small speaker using all the parts from the headphones! Not only is it a great way to test out whether the parts you receive work in the first place, it can be a secondary project that you can work on on the side after the headphones! It is designed specifically to work with most 50-52mm drivers. It uses a similar design philosophy as the Openmod headphones, making them a good learning experience to be had before assembling the headphones.

PXL_20240324_153941576.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back