Vanessa Hudgens of 'High School Musical' showing her business.
Sep 11, 2007 at 6:14 AM Post #31 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What good is society if you have all possible services and needs, but no motive? Actors and actresses provide indefinite hours of entertainment, that's something to look forward to after a long day at the office. That's doing a lot for society in my opinion, and their work isn't something everybody can do either, acting is a gift.

I'm not disagreeing with you at all, particularly with your last comment, just expanding upon reason.

Point taken. I do still believe that it is very telling as a society that successful actors/musicians/athletes get paid a lot more than successful people of the jobs I listed before. It seems that, in general, those people who have the more mundane and "ordinary" jobs get pushed aside in the recognition department in favor of the glitzy decadence of successful actors. The amount of people who are genuinely inspired to do something positive by the people I mentioned is great, whereas with actors, I just see entertainment with a very small amount of true inspiration.

Sep 11, 2007 at 6:18 AM Post #32 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems that, in general, those people who have the more mundane and "ordinary" jobs get pushed aside in the recognition department in favor of the glitzy decadence of successful actors.

Agreed, partly because of the media's perpetuation of entertainment craze. I mean, even though I have no interest in latest relation status of celebrities, but if it's on the front page of the papers, I'm pretty darn tempted to read it, therefore giving attention to these people.

The only occupation I would give more recognition to is those who serve in the military. I'd rather have a nice steady job in the society, I just don't have guts.

Sep 11, 2007 at 12:32 PM Post #33 of 75
God bless her, and God bless the internet. It's ok for me to think and say those things, because I am a man, she is hot, and she is over 18.
icon10.gif
The only thing I can hope for now is a bit less makeup and many more pictures.

That's all I got...

Sep 11, 2007 at 1:28 PM Post #34 of 75
Quote:

To me, those people are actually bettering our society. I mean, I love a good movie and/or album as much as anyone else, but there are very few actors or musicians who could even hope to be as influential on a humanitarian level as the aforementioned people. To say otherwise is, to me, insane...

No offense intended, but I find it ironic that someone with a pic of an entertainer for an avatar is making this comment...
icon10.gif

Sep 11, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #35 of 75
Vanessa who?

Sep 11, 2007 at 10:53 PM Post #36 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
God bless her, and God bless the internet. It's ok for me to think and say those things, because I am a man, she is hot, and she is over 18.
icon10.gif
The only thing I can hope for now is a bit less makeup and many more pictures.

That's all I got...

The flesh and bones of me felt that way too. I mean if she was just a random actor I wouldn't have thought twice about giving the picture a crooked grin, imprinting it in my memory, and thinking about how good she looked every once in a while.

The thing is, she was a Disney Channel star and regardless of how old she is, the kids have the impression that she's their peer (or close to it). This is what stinks about it.

Sep 11, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #37 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No offense intended, but I find it ironic that someone with a pic of an entertainer for an avatar is making this comment...
icon10.gif

No, none taken. I do not idolize Rowan at all. His voice is Godlike, but I do not look up to him like I would a teacher.

Getting to back to the topic. I Think it is silly to idolize entertainers, because if not for their entertainment value, most would find that most of them are people that are lacking in the personal characteristics that would warrant idolization. Children are enamored with the persona, not the person. To me, that is a big difference.

Sep 12, 2007 at 12:04 AM Post #38 of 75
Quote:

Getting to back to the topic. I Think it is silly to idolize entertainers, because if not for their entertainment value, most would find that most of them are people that are lacking in the personal characteristics that would warrant idolization. Children are enamored with the persona, not the person. To me, that is a big difference.

Regardless of how silly it is, the masses look up to the people they see on TV and in the movies. That's just the way it is and has been since the onset of moving pictures. I admire many different entertainers for their talent (including the one in my avatar) but I definately don't think I've let anything except my parents and close aquaintences affect my moral compass.

Sep 12, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #39 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Regardless of how silly it is, the masses look up to the people they see on TV and in the movies. That's just the way it is and has been since the onset of moving pictures.

Just because "that's just the way it is" that does not necessarily mean that is the way to go.

Sep 12, 2007 at 12:55 AM Post #40 of 75
I shall enjoy watching the downfall of Ms. Hudgens. Just as I would enjoy the downfall of any actor, athlete, or musician whose talent ,if solidified into physical matter, could be contained in the shell of a walnut.

Sep 12, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #41 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Regardless of how silly it is, the masses look up to the people they see on TV and in the movies. That's just the way it is and has been since the onset of moving pictures. I admire many different entertainers for their talent (including the one in my avatar) but I definately don't think I've let anything except my parents and close aquaintences affect my moral compass.

I say it is your fault for not teaching your child who deserves respect and who does not. Don't blame everyone else; take some responsibility.

Sep 12, 2007 at 1:25 AM Post #42 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zarathustra19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I shall enjoy watching the downfall of Ms. Hudgens. Just as I would enjoy the downfall of any actor, athlete, or musician whose talent ,if solidified into physical matter, could be contained in the shell of a walnut.

LOL. A bit of Schadenfreude perhaps?
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 12, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #43 of 75
Quote:

LOL. A bit of Schadenfreude perhaps?
evil_smiley.gif

"Justifiable Schadenfreude". My term.

Sep 12, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #45 of 75
yes that is indeed what it is.
3000smile.gif
I'm kinda sick.