Vali 2 tube rolling
Jun 12, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #2,761 of 6,436
Fondling occurs with good intent
Is there a difference between groping and fondling? Hope so, or I'm going to be very worried about @Ripper2860 . :smiley:

Fondling = Gentle, loving, caressing reflecting a positive and welcome act.

Groping = Unwanted, vulgar and crass, bordering on a criminal act.

I fondle, but I cannot speak for you. :wink:

Jun 12, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #2,762 of 6,436
Fondling occurs with good intent

Fondling = Gentle, loving, caressing reflecting a positive and welcome act.

Groping = Unwanted, vulgar and crass, bordering on a criminal act.

I fondle, but I cannot speak for you. :wink:

It's a bit scary that you're so familiar with these two words....:hushed:

Jun 12, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #2,763 of 6,436
I plead the 5th... :smirk:

Jun 12, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #2,764 of 6,436
You seem to be going straight to the point: the twin separate triods. I went the slow, long way: ECC88 > PCC88 > 5670 > 6C8G > 6SN7 > twin 6J5. I recently thought that I should have done the same, but I put in the WE396A yesterday, and liked it again... And then I was not a big believer in MELZ 6N8S until I tried it. Now I am eyeing the old Loctals...
Hi,

Sorry for the late response, life got me a lot busy the last months.

Based on the very interesting comments here, because I'm still new to the audio world, I wanted to give it a try, especially when I read about the bass slam.

Unfortunately I'm a bit frustrated as it didn't go well.

Firstly I was very impressed by the strong U shaped sound signature, but after a few hours of settling-in it became more enjoyable then I understood why they are one of the many listener's favourites.

After some days, though, I started to hear electric noise like we do with an onboard audio card, which goes stronger and "metallic" if slip my finger on the surface of the amp's case or tap on it for exemple (on my desk too), with a noticeable and permanent 'uuum' noise from one ear.

When I switch off then on the Vali 2, it goes away for a bit, then comes back.

When I invert the tubes on the adapter, it switched ear; so I guess I get an issue with one of the matched pair tube.

For the time being my Magni 3 is back on business, with which I can't hear any parasitising noise from.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #2,765 of 6,436
About the only thing that might help is re-flowing the solder in the pins on the troublesome tube. If that does no good you may want to try another matched pair. Some of these tubes are very old and occasionally tubes can fail. I have been really fortunate with NOS tubes but occasionally I will buy a used tube that may have tested good at some point before it was sold, but developed issues after listening several hours.

Jun 12, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #2,766 of 6,436
Hi,

Sorry for the late response, life got me a lot busy the last months.

Based on the very interesting comments here, because I'm still new to the audio world, I wanted to give it a try, especially when I read about the bass slam.

Unfortunately I'm a bit frustrated as it didn't go well.

Firstly I was very impressed by the strong U shaped sound signature, but after a few hours of settling-in it became more enjoyable then I understood why they are one of the many listener's favourites.

After some days, though, I started to hear electric noise like we do with an onboard audio card, which goes stronger and "metallic" if slip my finger on the surface of the amp's case or tap on it for exemple (on my desk too), with a noticeable and permanent 'uuum' noise from one ear.

When I switch off then on the Vali 2, it goes away for a bit, then comes back.

When I invert the tubes on the adapter, it switched ear; so I guess I get an issue with one of the matched pair tube.

For the time being my Magni 3 is back on business, with which I can't hear any parasitising noise from.

Have you cleaned the pins on the tubes? Sometimes dirt or oxidation on the pins can lead to a marginal electrical connection in the socket and that by itself can cause lots of different noise issues.

Jun 13, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #2,767 of 6,436
Have you cleaned the pins on the tubes? Sometimes dirt or oxidation on the pins can lead to a marginal electrical connection in the socket and that by itself can cause lots of different noise issues.

Nope, and I feel dumb that I didn't think about that.

Do you know with what I can safely use to clean them ?

Jun 13, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #2,768 of 6,436
Nope, and I feel dumb that I didn't think about that.

Do you know with what I can safely use to clean them ?

DeOxit D5 works great on these. I usually spray the DeOxit on a pipe cleaner and use that to scrub the pins, then follow that with a pipe cleaner dipped in isopropyl alcohol to remove any remaining contaminants and DeOxit residue. If you don't have any DeOxit the isopropyl alcohol will work by itself, you may just need to rub a little harder. Be sure to use straight up isopropyl alcohol and not 'rubbing' alcohol that has other ingredients in it.

Jun 13, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #2,769 of 6,436
I generally use a brass bristled brush and go over the pins before inserting them in a socket if they seem to need it. I have an inspection scope and look the pins over if they are suspect. I probably take cleaning for granted, thus I moved on to the last thing that might be done with some tubes, re-flowing solder in the pins.

Jun 13, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #2,770 of 6,436
I have bought this:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B074WNK917/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
61clY1lVy4L._SX569_.jpg

Works great.

Jun 13, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #2,771 of 6,436

That's way cool. I have a regular corded Dremel, but the battery powered type would be much more user friendly for this task.

I like these for polishing up the really cruddy pins. Fotons come to mind for some reason. 80 pieces would seem like overkill, but getting a smaller quantity doesn't save that much on the purchase price and these things shred off pretty fast -- 5 or 6 tubes is about the lifespan per piece (depending on crud level):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GKXPQKQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

upload_2019-6-13_16-7-58.png

Jun 13, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #2,772 of 6,436
Jun 13, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #2,773 of 6,436
There are folks here who know more about the Fotons than me, I have a 1953 ribbed plate version that is sought after by most accounts and it sounds pretty good but I cannot make out exactly what you have there. If you can make out the date on yours to the lower right of the rhombus, that would help.

10112677.jpg
You are not good for my financial health. Listening to a perfectly sounding Foton from 1957. But not ribbed plate. So just bought two with ribbed plates made in 1951 for $50 a pair. I sincerely hope they sound better, than my current Foton tubes.

Jun 13, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #2,774 of 6,436
You are not good for my financial health. Listening to a perfectly sounding Foton from 1957. But not ribbed plate. So just bought two with ribbed plates made in 1951 for $50 a pair. I sincerely hope they sound better, than my current Foton tubes.

Sheeez. Price has gone up on those puppies. A year ago when I was hoarding collecting investing in these, I think it was $35 or so....for two pairs.

Jun 13, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #2,775 of 6,436

Users who are viewing this thread

Back